Screencap of the Day: Eomer finds Eowyn

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 21 2014, 9:54pm

Post #1 of 8 (3577 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day: Eomer finds Eowyn Can't Post

You can find the full-sized image HERE.

A heartbreaking moment after the battle has been won. I usually like to ask something about the facial expressions in a scene, but I think that Karl Urban's performance is pretty clear here. Unimaginable sadness.

The scene plays out a little differently in the book, as Eomer comes across Theoden and his sister in the middle of the battle:

And he looked at the slain, recalling their names. Then suddenly he beheld his sister Éowyn as she lay, and he knew her. He stood a moment as a man who is pierced in the midst of a cry by an arrow through the heart; and then his face went deathly white; and a cold fury rose in him, so that all speech failed him for a while. A fey mood took him.

'Éowyn, Éowyn!' he cried at last: 'Éowyn, how come you here? What madness or devilry is this? Death, death, death! Death take us all!'

Then without taking counsel or waiting for the approach of the men of the City, he spurred headlong back to the front of the great host, and blew a horn, and cried aloud for the onset. Over the field rang his clear voice calling: 'Death! Ride, ride to ruin and the world's ending!'

And with that the host began to move. But the Rohirrim sang no more. Death they cried with one voice loud and terrible, and gathering speed like a great tide their battle swept about their fallen king and passed, roaring away southwards.

As always, feel free to answer any, all, or none of these questions as you talk about this screencap.

1. What did you think/feel when you saw this image?
2. If you're a movie-firster, did you believe that Eowyn was dead when you first saw the film?
3. If you're a book-firster, did like/dislike/even notice the changes between book and movie at this point?
4. Any other thoughts?

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Cillendor
Lorien

Apr 22 2014, 12:30am

Post #2 of 8 (3384 views)
Shortcut
I don't remember my initial reaction, [In reply to] Can't Post

but this scene pretty much reduces me to tears every time I watch it. I can't help but picture one of my sisters in this position. How would I feel if I held their presumably dead bodies in my arms? I really don't know, but I'm tearing up right now just thinking about it.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 22 2014, 3:48am

Post #3 of 8 (3397 views)
Shortcut
Talk about raw emotion. [In reply to] Can't Post

I imagine it would be easy for an actor to overdo a scene like this and come across a bit hammy, but Karl manages to rip your heart out and pound on it a time or two. A magnificent moment, and it's a damn shame it didn't make it into the theatrical version for the world to see.

I'm pretty sure I was just speechless, and shocked numb.

3. If you're a book-firster, did like/dislike/even notice the changes between book and movie at this point?
I think PJ and Karl showed the mad grief of Eomer well, just in a different way from Tolkien's method.

4. Any other thoughts?
I never, ever want to be that distraught.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Apr 22 2014, 3:49am)

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Apr 22 2014, 3:17pm

Post #4 of 8 (3328 views)
Shortcut
Brilliant [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my favorite scenes in LOTR. Cry every time. Would like to know what Urban was thinking to get him to where he went in this scene. One seldom sees this much raw emotion and it's not easy to do.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 22 2014, 4:45pm

Post #5 of 8 (3326 views)
Shortcut
Such a heartrending moment [In reply to] Can't Post

It felt like someone was squeezing my heart.

2. If you're a movie-firster, did you believe that Eowyn was dead when you first saw the film?
Well, I saw the theatrical edition first. The last time we see Éowyn there before Aragorn's coronation is beside Theoden's body - crying and wounded, but alive. But this, by no means, diminished the emotionality of this scene when I saw the extended edition. Éomer's reaction is still, even after many viewings, heartwrenching to watch.

4. Any other thoughts?
What Ataahua said.

Thanks for the screencap, AD!

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Apr 22 2014, 4:47pm)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Apr 30 2014, 11:32pm

Post #6 of 8 (3261 views)
Shortcut
Argh. This scene. Sniff. [In reply to] Can't Post

(1) This scene affects me almost as badly as Boromir dying in FOTR, so that's saying a lot. His scream is heart-rending.

(2) Book-firstie.

(3) Didn't pay much attention at the time. I still don't mind too much. (I'm long past my angry!purist stage and into the I'm-just-glad-it-got-in-the-movie-in-some-fashion stage. Wink) The spirit of the whole scene is very much in line with the berserker Eomer of the book.

(4) This is *exactly* why Eomer didn't want Eowyn to sneak off to war. This is his worst fear come true. He's lost everyone else; he wanted his baby sister to stay safe back in Rohan. (I've never interpreted it as Eomer doubting his sister's fighting capability.) And so when he sees her lying as if dead... argh. There's so much to Eomer we never get to see. Do he and Eowyn even have any dialogue in the movies other than that one discussion/argument about him not wanting her to go to war?

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Elwen
Lorien

May 13 2014, 5:41pm

Post #7 of 8 (3178 views)
Shortcut
One of very few changes that I kind of like.... [In reply to] Can't Post

is this moment. You see Eomer the older brother here, not Eomer the king or Eomer the warrior.

Overall, I really dislike how much Eomer was whittled down in the films, many of his best moments were given to Theoden, and the strong bond that forms between him and Aragorn is all but gone.

That said, I like this scene, because what Urban was given, he really worked with. In the context of the movie's world, this anguish is more believable than the battle fury response in the books, because Eomer's been set up as a different character.

I liked an interview I saw (or heard, I can't remember) where Karl Urban was saying he really felt like he needed to be in the Houses of Healing scene, which he wasn't originally written into. After that intense moment of him on the battlefield, it seemed obvious that he wouldn't leave Eowyn's side.

photo b46d46c9-4c74-4ab7-b020-9f8681a9c904_zps24eb4def.jpg
Even elves love a Friday Fiesta

Beruthiels_Cats

May 15 2014, 7:54pm

Post #8 of 8 (3170 views)
Shortcut
still gets to me... [In reply to] Can't Post

Even after all these years and watching the movies several times, that scene still gets to me... Just feeling the utter heartbreak, eomer's worst nightmare coming true.... amazing. Such good acting from Karl Urban, I was very impressed.... I think that displayed eomer and eowyn's relationship in a nutshell and their whole background...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.