Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What are your top 3 favourite locations from the Hobbit Trilogy so far?

TheImaginator
Rivendell

Apr 21 2014, 3:48pm

Post #1 of 20 (1063 views)
Shortcut
What are your top 3 favourite locations from the Hobbit Trilogy so far? Can't Post

Mine are:

1. Laketown. I love it. The entire concept. It looks absolutely amazing. Especially on Bluray. I heard someone once describe it as Dickensian Venice and I couldn't agree more. It makes me very excited about the Smaug at Laketown scene in TABA.

2. Mirkwood. PJ nailed this one in the film I reckon. The atmosphere, the art direction. It looks like a living breathing version of the art concepts in the Chronicle book, which is amazing. Can't wait to see more of this in the EE.

3. Dol Guldur. I love how it feels so sprawling and atmospheric in DOS. Really gothic and scary. The tension is wonderful. Again, can't wait for more in the EE,

What are yours?

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Apr 21 2014, 4:05pm

Post #2 of 20 (887 views)
Shortcut
umm pretty hard but I'll try! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll try to pick all new locations, as in ones that weren't in LOTR because lets face it, how can you beat The Shire Wink

1. Dol Guldur - a dark fantasy fortress the way I've always wanted to see it, wonderfully realized.
2. Erebor - A great contrast to the darkness of Moria, breathtaking in both the AUJ prologue and in it's ruined glory in DOS
3. Goblin Town - The way this was handled was completely different than I imagined but I really loved it. The chasms, the rickety bridges and walkways and sharp, angular rock that looks almost eaten away by acid, I think it's great.

HONORABLE MENTION/Other
Mirkwood - This was probably my most anticipated location so therefore why I am a bit critical of it. It definitely would have made top 3 but I just felt we didn't get ENOUGH of it and some of the shots we did get had a few shoddy Visual Effects that left me a little underwhelmed. I love the art design and the sets and a lot of this but some of the visual effects nitpicks and its relatively brief context and showing in the film knocked it out for me. Like you said I can't wait to see more in the EE, I just wanted SOOOO much more of this part. Heart Mirkwood.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 21 2014, 4:05pm

Post #3 of 20 (867 views)
Shortcut
Mine [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Erebor before the coming of the Dragon. Well, and also as it is when Smaug resides there.

2. Beorn's home.

3. Up in the sky with the Eagles.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Apr 21 2014, 4:07pm)

Name
Rohan

Apr 21 2014, 4:11pm

Post #4 of 20 (858 views)
Shortcut
Ok [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Dol Guldur - I have to agree. The atmosphere and eerie quietness really sets a unique mood.

2. "15 birds in 5 fir trees" scene - I loved this one. The way the fire lit up the scenery, and how the whole situation looked pretty bad for Thorin and Co.

3. Gollum's cave - I really liked how dark it was, which let the audience focus in on the two characters and their exchange. It looked almost exactly like I imagined it in the book.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Apr 21 2014, 4:13pm

Post #5 of 20 (850 views)
Shortcut
Mine: [In reply to] Can't Post

1)Laketown
2)Dol Guldur
3)Mirkwood/Erebor

"Obsession and narrow-mindness is the trend of the 2000's and synonyms to many Tolkien fanatics"

Leaf of Mirkwood
Bree

Apr 21 2014, 5:46pm

Post #6 of 20 (806 views)
Shortcut
favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Mirkwood - I think my favorite shot is the camera looking up through the huge tree limbs, up to see the impossibly high far off canopy, with the leaves gently floating down. Its kind of creepy and ominous, like they really are never going to get out and now they are totally stuck! Also Thranduil's halls are really cool, still very elvish but different feel to the other elven realms.

2) Erebor in the prologue of AUJ - Very mighty and powerful! A dwarven masterpiece! It would be so cool to visit there and gape in awe.

3) The Dwarves in the Pines - Really great atmosphere, and looked like it was straight out of the book.

(This post was edited by Leaf of Mirkwood on Apr 21 2014, 5:48pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 21 2014, 6:08pm

Post #7 of 20 (797 views)
Shortcut
Mine [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Bag End. Warm and homey.
2. Rivendell. Otherworldly and serene.
3. Lake-town. Gritty and atmospheric.

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 21 2014, 6:12pm

Post #8 of 20 (793 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm.... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Radagast's house.

2. Beorn's house.

3. Lake-town

https://www.facebook.com/slatesforsarah

Calithilel
Rivendell

Apr 21 2014, 6:15pm

Post #9 of 20 (791 views)
Shortcut
My favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

1: Erebor, before and after Smaug came. I could really live there. I have really not much word for it, just breathtaking

2: Rivendell is beautiful, and the Shire. When I saw the Shire in AUJ at the beginning of course, it felt like home to me :P
So it must be the Shire :)

3: Mirkwood and the Palace. (It goes for one right both places Tongue ) Even I wanted more of it, it looked like the way I imagined in the book.

"If this is to end in fire, then we will all burn together." - Thorin Oakenshield, Desolation of Smaug

"What does your heart tell you?" - Aragorn, Return of the King

"I´m not a psychopath, I´m a highly functioning sociopath with your number." - Sherlock

"Some people are worth melting for." - Olaf, Frozen

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Apr 21 2014, 6:45pm

Post #10 of 20 (786 views)
Shortcut
My name tells you my number one [In reply to] Can't Post

I. Dol Guldur
Of course the "hill of sorcery" although I did expect to see more of it. I like this creepy, dark and mysterious atmosphere. You know it's a dark place although it seems empty. Like a haunted house. There's especially one shot from one of the DOS trailers I want to see in the EE. The one where we see Gandalf in the distance inside of Dol Guldur. Since he still carries his own staff, his hat and everything else I guess this takes place before he encounters Azog and the Necromancer. It's a great shot:

II. Dale
This was a tricky one. I wasn't sure if my second place would be Dale or Esgaroth but in the end I decided to choose Dale since it looks amazing (pre-Smaug and also afterwards). PJs team built a complete city and I really like this almost Roman look of it. Later on it looks very cold and desolated when we see it in DOS. Again... I'm looking forward to see more of it in the DOS EE too:

III. Lake-Town/Esgaroth
Well... what should I add to all of your great arguments? It's design is great. It's dirty, ugly and beautiful at the same time. Can't wait to see it burn on the other hand. And again, again... perhaps there's more of it in the DOS EE?

There are so many great places in The Hobbit (leaving out the already known ones like Hobbiton or Rivendell). Goblin-Town is great, Mirkwood amazing, Thranduils palace was fun and I hope to see more of it on the EE same with Mirkwood... And of course Erebor looks fantastic. Every single one of them can stand next to Edoras, Barad-dûr, Isengard, Minas Tirith, Osgiliath, Moria, Lorien or all the other great places we've been to. Thank you Peter, John, Alan, WETA and the whole team for creating such a wonderful cinematic Middle-earth!

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 21 2014, 9:17pm

Post #11 of 20 (733 views)
Shortcut
Hard to pick just three, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Bag End - always my favorite

2. Erebor - So vast and beautiful - I hope we get to see a lot more of it. I would love to explore all of those buildings and chambers that we got glimpses of while the dwarves were running from Smaug.

3. Rivendell - always beautiful and beautifully designed.

Runner-up - Radagast's house - sort of a wonky Bag End

Hop to it, Radagast, we've got dark powers to sleigh.

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 21 2014, 9:27pm

Post #12 of 20 (719 views)
Shortcut
Easy. [In reply to] Can't Post

Erebor
Dol Guldur
Laketown

Bag End, Rivendell, Mirkwood, Goblin Town and the Woodland Realm have all been awesome too.

I want to see more of Dale too.

Our destiny lies above us.

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 21 2014, 10:40pm

Post #13 of 20 (711 views)
Shortcut
Re Mirkwood - how are you seeing it now? [In reply to] Can't Post

E.g., I only ask because I'm still startled (in a good way) about the BR quality (or maybe it's my TV too). Because more so than the theater I am seeing all these subtle colors in the BR and Mirkwood in particular, which I didn't notice in the theater. Just re-watched DOS this weekend and while I freakin' love DOS (and Mirkwood) it does jolt me a little to realize how much of Mirkwood is "missing" - all the things I know were filmed that I want to see so badly (Bombur, Thorin shooting a bow, the sense that the dwarves were in the forest for a LONG TIME, not just a day or so, the scene with everyone except Bilbo asleep while Bilbo looks miserable).

Annnd - my top 3 locations, tho I really can't pick just 3:

1) Bag End - will never forget seeing that come to life
2) Erebor!
3) Mirkwood

But there's Beorn's house, the pine trees, Laketown, even the gritty slopes of the Lonely mountain. And I thought the carrock was cool as were the High Fells. And the elven prisons were actually kind of nice, w. the water falling all around.

"Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass." - Den of Geek, The Hobbit: There & Back Again, 7 Apr 2014 - 07:07

Kim
Valinor

Apr 21 2014, 10:53pm

Post #14 of 20 (716 views)
Shortcut
You must give us 3, precious [In reply to] Can't Post

Erebor: this was such an unexpected, awesome view of a dwarf kingdom in it's prime during the AUJ prologue. Really brought the dwarf homeland to life. And I cringe every time Smaug wacks another huge pillar in DOS - "you're destroying their home!"

Dale: a really beautiful city, looks like it was an idyllic place to live in it's prime. Hope we get to see more of it in the DOS EE and TABA.

Bag End: cozy, homey, perfectly culminating in the Misty Mountains song. Makes me want to curl up on my couch with a blankie.

Honorable mention: Rivendell, especially the White Council chambers - so beautiful.

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Retro315
Rivendell

Apr 21 2014, 11:56pm

Post #15 of 20 (693 views)
Shortcut
Re [In reply to] Can't Post

I truly appreciated getting a better, bigger, more thorough glimpse at Hobbiton, particularly Bag-End. While I'm fairly up on it, had I come to Middle-earth after both trilogies were complete, nothing would probably trump the initial view of it with Bilbo, the porch, the market, the house full of dwarves.

But it's not a unique location. Nor is Rivendell, or really the Trollshaw in spite of seeing the simple, effectively portrayed Troll-hoard.. So I'll try to think of "unique" locations.

1. Beorn's house. Of course the natural dilemma here is that we need to see WAY more of it. Way more. It's unfinished business.

2. I thought all of Mirkwood was highly effective, but the Spider-nest was, in particular, the strongest visual sequence. The denseness, depth of field being criss-crossed by shadows and webs, and the contrast synced very well with my imagination.

3. The Halls of Erebor. BUT in PARTICULAR, the "Ruins of Erebor". The Golden Age stuff in the prologue was spiffy and all that, but the degraded, dreary, cold, dead, ashen marble - the Lair of Smaug. I really like the look of it. So akin, and yet so different from Moria.

It was REALLY freaking hard not putting Lake-town on this list. Honest-to-god if we'd spent a little less time in Lake-town - if it retained a bit of its mystique, it would have been a clincher for the # 1 spot.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 22 2014, 8:45am

Post #16 of 20 (658 views)
Shortcut
Can I take parts of a location? [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Mirkwood - The road's entrance, the spiders' nest and Bilbo atop the trees with the butterflies. Wasn't that taken with the psychedelia while the company was getting lost: too bright, and not enough sinister gloom. Loved the Halls of the Woodland Realm too. We need to see more of Mirkwood!
2) Dol Guldur - decrepit, creepy, sinister and all too foreboding
3) The area outside Erebor and the surrounding desolation

Fan of both books and movies. Oh, and it seems I have severely misnamed myself... for the moment.

Thranduil Appreciation: I, II, III

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 22 2014, 11:51am

Post #17 of 20 (642 views)
Shortcut
Cool [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Mine are:

1. Laketown. I love it. The entire concept. It looks absolutely amazing. Especially on Bluray. I heard someone once describe it as Dickensian Venice and I couldn't agree more. It makes me very excited about the Smaug at Laketown scene in TABA.

Yes this is my favorite

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Apr 22 2014, 11:51am)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 22 2014, 11:53am

Post #18 of 20 (635 views)
Shortcut
Cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I also like the Mirkwood palace and Erebor.

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Apr 22 2014, 12:53pm

Post #19 of 20 (629 views)
Shortcut
I love the Elven realms... [In reply to] Can't Post

and particularly Alan Lee's Art Nouveau-inspired designs for them so Rivendell, (without the sickly sunrise effect!) would be my favourite, then the Elvenking's Halls, and Hobbiton would be next on my list.
ETA: Forgot Beorn's house, which I am desperately hoping to see more of in the DoS EE - what we've seen so far looks gorgeous!

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

(This post was edited by Eleniel on Apr 22 2014, 12:57pm)

Noria
Gondor

Apr 22 2014, 12:55pm

Post #20 of 20 (627 views)
Shortcut
Can't pick just three [In reply to] Can't Post

Bag End and the Shire will always be my favourites but I’m going to go with locations exclusive to The Hobbit.

In no particular order…

Erebor – beautiful and full of life before the fall and beautiful, perilous and haunted after.

Laketown – unlike Dale, though I loved it, Laketown seems so real, so lived in and run down but beautiful at the same time. The design is great, IMO.

The realm of the wood elves - again beautiful and atmospheric. I love how the great tree roots are incorporated into the structure and that there is so much flowing water. Even the prison area is interesting and Thranduil’s throne “room” (like Thror’s) is fantastic.

Dol Goldur – horrifying. (OK I’m cheating.)

Rhosbel, Beorn’s house and Mirkwood itself could also have been on my list.

I like how in these movies great, open, lighted underground spaces form all three underground realms instead of dark and closed in tunnels and passages. The goblins’ caves, Erebor and the Thranduil’s realm are all very different manifestations of that same theme.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.