The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Did Fili lose his pipe?

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 20 2014, 3:37pm

Post #1 of 8 (793 views)
Shortcut
Did Fili lose his pipe? Can't Post

In the scene where the orcs track the dwarves to the lakeside and one of them tastes the blood, we get a brief glimpse of a dwarf pipe left laying on a rock. So after the Blu-Ray came out I decided to see if I could track it down, and it appears to be Fili's pipe (the one that Weta sells). Is there a reason for this? Is it just random set dressing, or did we miss a scene where Fili for some reason puts down his pipes and forgets it, possibly while bandaging Kili's leg? Just wondering. Smile

Hop to it, Radagast, we've got dark powers to sleigh.

deskp
Lorien

Apr 20 2014, 4:10pm

Post #2 of 8 (634 views)
Shortcut
yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

yeah propably jsut dropped or forgot it.

I think ti's done just as something recognizably dwarwish lef there so it's mroe cclear it's the palce they were hanging out a bit.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Apr 20 2014, 4:31pm

Post #3 of 8 (608 views)
Shortcut
Ohh [In reply to] Can't Post

Or it could be the reminders of a scene we'll see in the EE.

Kim
Valinor

Apr 20 2014, 8:37pm

Post #4 of 8 (552 views)
Shortcut
I noticed that pipe too [In reply to] Can't Post

when I was watching DOS last night, and was wondering whose pipe it may have been. I figured somebody dropped it, although I did wonder that they were allowed to keep their pipes when they were locked up as they seem to have been stripped of most of their belongings. Or maybe that was just coats and weapons.

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Elskidor
Rohan

Apr 20 2014, 11:30pm

Post #5 of 8 (510 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

That would explain why he quit posting here. Maybe he went to look for the pipe? He was posting daily for months, and then he up and vanished out of nowhere after DoS came out.

Cirashala
Valinor

Apr 21 2014, 4:28am

Post #6 of 8 (505 views)
Shortcut
I thought [In reply to] Can't Post

it was the broken shaft of the arrow that Kili pulled out of his leg?

Even if it was the pipe, I think people above me are right. The dwarves weren't stripped of their coats when they were locked up- I saw them go into the cells with them on (a guard removed yet another knife from Fili's coat, and Kili for sure had his on still). And they still had all their coin.

I have a feeling that the elves just stripped them of weapons (and Gloin his locket- Legolas may have been checking it for a small knife or something as it looked big enough to hold one) and locked them up, and they simply took off their coats and such since they weren't going anywhere and they were covered in spider webs.

Remember, it was just after dawn when they escaped, as Bofur pointed out ("The sun is on the rise. It must be nearly dawn.")- the dwarves were probably just waking up, and thus would have been sleeping. And I seriously doubt they would sleep in their coats and armor when it was clear that they were going nowhere, and nothing was getting in (except maybe armed elvish guards- and the dwarves were unarmed and wouldn't have been able to really put up much of a fight without dire consequences).

I can imagine that, even for a dwarf, sleeping in armor must be pretty uncomfortable Wink And they didn't look like they had much in the cells, so they may have used their coats and such for a pillow, rather than keep them on (and maybe a bed/blanket).

Kim
Valinor

Apr 21 2014, 10:10pm

Post #7 of 8 (438 views)
Shortcut
Good points [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, there was a pipe lying on the rock, although the broken arrow may have been there too (I didn't notice). And the piece of fabric that Kili was using on his wound was there too.

Regarding the clothes, I didn't think about it that way, but that sounds plausible. I got so used to them sleeping in their gear when they were out in the wild, it didn't occur to me they may have just taken off their dirty coats to sleep, since they didn't have an expectation of going anywhere soon. And I did always wonder why they went into the cells with coats and came out without any - I was thinking maybe we missed a scene like the initial meeting with Thranduil and all the dwarves, and perhaps they'd been there longer than a day.

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 21 2014, 10:39pm

Post #8 of 8 (438 views)
Shortcut
No! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not Fili's hookah pipe?!!!

Our destiny lies above us.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.