The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
an interesting observation from the LEGO Hobbit videogame

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Apr 19 2014, 3:54am

Post #1 of 13 (1006 views)
Shortcut
an interesting observation from the LEGO Hobbit videogame Can't Post

In the game, the High Fells are located WEST of the Misty Mountains and North of the Trollshaws, where they were originally supposed to be when there were only going to be two movies. Yet it still follows the movie, so Gandalf doesn't go there until after the company has passed EAST of the Misty Mountains. I'm thinking the game was already in development before the decision to make the movies a trilogy was made, and it was too late for them to change it.

deskp
Lorien

Apr 19 2014, 4:12am

Post #2 of 13 (612 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

Did they ever change position? you can infact travel back and fourth over the mountains.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Apr 19 2014, 7:10am

Post #3 of 13 (552 views)
Shortcut
i dont have the game [In reply to] Can't Post

So can you tell me what can you do at the High Fells in the Video game ?

deskp
Lorien

Apr 19 2014, 7:12am

Post #4 of 13 (555 views)
Shortcut
it's just filler gameplay. [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMMaEmPscC0

Bofur01
Lorien

Apr 19 2014, 7:41am

Post #5 of 13 (545 views)
Shortcut
Hence "The High Fells OF RHUDAUR!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Apr 19 2014, 9:52am

Post #6 of 13 (501 views)
Shortcut
Actually I almost prefer this version to the cinematic one [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially thanks to Christopher Lees narration. Hopefully we see more of it in the DOS EE.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 19 2014, 12:52pm

Post #7 of 13 (449 views)
Shortcut
Goblins on the Prowl [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Did they ever change position? you can infact travel back and fourth over the mountains.

I don't see Gandalf and Radagast easily crossing the Misty Mountains again after the goblins have been all worked up by the slaying of the Great Goblin. In the film continuity, Rhudaur seems to now extend to both sides of the mountains.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 19 2014, 1:53pm

Post #8 of 13 (438 views)
Shortcut
I never thought they actually changed the location. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just always thought Gandalf traveled back over the Misty Mountains. But now that people mention it, yeah it wouldn't have been easy for Gandalf to go back now that the Goblins are all stirred up. So I guess they did expand the High Fells to both sides of the Misty Mountains instead of actually moving them completely. I doubt this will be addressed again though, so it doesn't matter much I guess.

Our destiny lies above us.

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Apr 19 2014, 3:22pm

Post #9 of 13 (422 views)
Shortcut
It's not filler [In reply to] Can't Post

the high fells are a whole level. I spent about 40 minutes playing that part last night.

NoelGallagher
Rohan

Apr 19 2014, 4:04pm

Post #10 of 13 (396 views)
Shortcut
curious [In reply to] Can't Post

Why the High Fells in the Game pretty much look like in the chronicles, while in the movie it doesnt. I refer to the outside area, ans ideas ?

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Apr 19 2014, 5:06pm

Post #11 of 13 (380 views)
Shortcut
re: [In reply to] Can't Post

The game was probably already in development when the changes were made to the movie, and by then too much work had been done and they had a deadline, so it was left.

Name
Rohan

Apr 19 2014, 5:13pm

Post #12 of 13 (383 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe the High Fells are actually IN the Misty Mountains, so it's accessible from either side. It's not like it could stretch across both sides, since from what I've seen the Fells themselves aren't that big. Seems like it's just one or two mountains/hills and not much else.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Imladris18
Lorien

Apr 21 2014, 1:32pm

Post #13 of 13 (278 views)
Shortcut
I think this is a strong point. [In reply to] Can't Post

They do show Gandlaf literally scaling the side of a mountain, so I think this was the intent.

That, and the the name High Fells.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.