The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Parody time...(Party 'Til It's) There And Back Again

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2014, 11:19pm

Post #1 of 12 (295 views)
Shortcut
Parody time...(Party 'Til It's) There And Back Again Can't Post

Who doesn't know 1999, the 80s hit by Prince and the Revolution? Remember when "two-thousand-zero-zero", a/k/a "Y2K", meant the End of Times?

Here is a parody about the next End-of-Times--that is, the end of the times in which any more Tolkien adaptation movies are expected, following the release of TABA this December (murmurings of a possible "TH:Into The Fire" notwithstanding).

At the end of the track, a deep, distorted voice joins in the repeated line "1999" before the fade-out. For that part, I imagine Smaug's voice. Hope he doesn't mind....

Apologies in advance to the artist formerly known as the Artist formerly known as Prince and now, I believe, back again to being known as Prince (talk about There and Back Again, eh?)

For optimal appreciation, I recommend following along with the singing as performed on the track, while reading. Another link to the song is here. Ready? Is the song playing? OK here we go, I call it:

(PARTY 'TIL IT'S) THERE AND BACK AGAIN

I was thinking when I wrote this, forgive me if this post is strange,
When the first Rings started showing, could've sworn it was yesterday.
I was transported, found what other films had never dared,
Helped me rediscover Tolkien, you know, I'd take a journey there.

They say the third and final Hobbit means it’s over, oops! That's the end!
So for now I'm gonna party 'til it's There and Back Again.

I was reading when I wrote this, so sue me if I post too fast,
The pages tell the story, and the story ends at the last.
War was all around them, the characters prepared to fight,
And by the showing time, gotta hope it gets their story arcs right.

(Yeah)

They say the third and final Hobbit means it’s over, auf wiedersehen!
So for now I'm gonna party 'til it's There and Back Again.

(Yeah yeah!)

People, let me tell you somethin’....

If you didn’t come to party, don’t mark no G-rune on my door!
What have I in my pocket? A dragon that’s ready to roar! (SFX: SMAUG’s fire-breathing roar!)

Now I’ve gotten kinda glum, cuz the rights aren’t free today, (ow!)
And before more films will happen, I’d wait my life away.

They say the third and final Hobbit means it’s over, oops! Sayonar’!
So for now I'm gonna party ’til they pass the pipe-weed jar.

Say it one more time:
The third and final Hobbit means it’s over, c’est tout, zài jiàn!
(Yeah, yeah)
So for now I'm gonna party 'til it’s There (we're gonna, we gonna)
and Back (woo!)
Again.
Yeah, There and Back Again.
(SMAUG: There and Back Again.)

Don’t you wanna go? (With SMAUG: There and Back Again.)
Don’t you wanna go? (With SMAUG: There and Back Again.)

(fade out)

Things overheard during games of chess in Middle-earth:

Galadriel (any and every time she advances her pawn to the last row): "In its place you would have a QUEEN!!!!" (thunder booms)

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Apr 19 2014, 1:00am

Post #2 of 12 (233 views)
Shortcut
You've outdone yourself, Rux! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it!! TORn should so have this performed at its big partay. I wonder if Beecake would do it or Jed Brophy's group?

I also really liked how many languages you used for "that's it!" in the lyrics. To me, it really reflects that fans all over the world will be saying farewell to Middle-earth.

(* high five *)

Kim
Valinor

Apr 19 2014, 2:48am

Post #3 of 12 (226 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! [In reply to] Can't Post

Love the song and the new lyrics! And perfect for the upcoming 15th TORn anniversary party!

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2014, 2:03am

Post #4 of 12 (206 views)
Shortcut
*high fives back* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much, The Grey Elf! If Beecake, Jed or any VIP were to take on anything I've had any part in, that would be quite something amazing!

I love your idea of the languages reflecting how it will be a worldwide farewell when the time comes. That would be a happy accident, I'm glad to have stumbled into it! Smile

Galadriel (any and every time she advances her pawn to the last row): "In its place you would have a QUEEN!!!!" (thunder booms)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2014, 2:16am

Post #5 of 12 (210 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Kim! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm an admirer of Prince's work, 1999 being my fave from the songs, so you have my compliments on your musical taste! Smile

And, sure, if the Anniversary party organizers wanted to fit the parody into the festivities somehow, I'd be psyched.

Maybe they could convince Quacking Troll to do a video performance of it...? Smile

Thanks again!Heart

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 20 2014, 7:52am

Post #6 of 12 (207 views)
Shortcut
This is fantastic, as ever. [In reply to] Can't Post

How do you come up with these Rux, and how long did it take you to fit it all together? Smile

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 20 2014, 2:17pm

Post #7 of 12 (197 views)
Shortcut
Too, too funny! // [In reply to] Can't Post

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2014, 3:50pm

Post #8 of 12 (196 views)
Shortcut
The idea itself comes spontaneously [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks so much DanielLB!

Sometimes it hits me when I hear or think of the song, and then somehow I connect it to something from Middle-earth. Like "The Boys of Summer" by Don Henley, when I heard "I feel it in the air" it reminded me of Galadriel's prologue in FOTR.

But other times, like in this case, I was thinking of something Middle-earth related (the lack of any coming adaptation movie after TABA in the pipeline, which kinda feels like the fandom's doomsday is approaching), and that thought reminded me of the particular song (1999, or it could have been any song about doomsday).

And then it usually takes me about one to three days to put it together, depending on the compexity of the song lyrics that I'm parodying. Sometimes thanks to pure serendipity the song fits easily into the Middle-earth content and might take less than an hour, with some editing.

Thanks for asking! Smile

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Apr 20 2014, 3:58pm

Post #9 of 12 (191 views)
Shortcut
Thanks sempai! [In reply to] Can't Post

Also, I'd you to know that you've played a part in inspiring this parody. At this point, whenever somebody brings up the possibility of a future film adaptation of more Tolkien works, I have come to expect you to reply with a reminder that the rights are tied up, etc.! Laugh

Kim
Valinor

Apr 20 2014, 7:30pm

Post #10 of 12 (184 views)
Shortcut
Hi Daniel, I would like to nominate [In reply to] Can't Post

this song as the official song of the TORn 15th anniversary celebration next weekend. Seems to me it fits in perfectly, unless you folks have something else in mind for the festivities. Smile

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_collapsed

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 21 2014, 9:15am

Post #11 of 12 (179 views)
Shortcut
*applause* Great... As Always!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Apr 21 2014, 12:01pm

Post #12 of 12 (211 views)
Shortcut
*bow* Thanks gramma! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.