If in the unlikely case that
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Apr 18 2014, 12:23am

Post #26 of 41 (590 views)
Shortcut
A Two Part Adaptation [In reply to] Can't Post

as originally proposed by GDT could have been just right, especially if they stuck to the content of Tolkien's book. It isn't padding that t hurts the Hobbit movies it is embellishment. KS

Kangi Ska Resident Trickster & Wicked White Crebain
Life is an adventure, not a contest.

At night you can not tell if crows are black or white.
Photobucket

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Apr 18 2014, 12:25am

Post #27 of 41 (586 views)
Shortcut
what is the distinction... [In reply to] Can't Post

between padding and embellishment, in your opinion? genuinely curious.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 18 2014, 12:36am

Post #28 of 41 (592 views)
Shortcut
I'm surprised that someone as level-headed as you ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... is even bothering to comment at this point about some mythical fourth film. There simply isn't any basis at this point to think that that is a reasonable possibility.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 18 2014, 12:53am

Post #29 of 41 (583 views)
Shortcut
I'd love 2 movies [In reply to] Can't Post

As it is, I fret at the idea of charging through everything that the door has been opened up on - whether people like it or not, there's the current of the original story, plus Dol Guldur, Thranduil/Legolas dynamics (or not), Tauriel/Legolas/Kili dynamics, the heirs and Thorin, the dwarves, Bard and his children. A whole Pandora's box of stuff. Plus justice to the battle sequences, Thorin's dragon sickness, Bilbo's turmoil, Laketown.

If PJ opens the door on characters, relationships, and sets up situations, then I think he should tell a good story re the doors he opened, and not speed through to accommodate some 2-hour limit. I personally don't like 2-part movies (seems that kind of thing has gotten popular). But IMO there's already a lot in DOS that was rushed through - unless, of course, PJ already has it in the back of his mind that the EE versions are the definitive versions anyway. But there's no promises with any EE.

So, if an announcement was made that TABA needed to be split, I'd actually be relieved, to some degree. Because I'd feel there's enough time to tell all these storylines properly.

"Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass." - Den of Geek, The Hobbit: There & Back Again, 7 Apr 2014 - 07:07

Imladris18
Lorien

Apr 18 2014, 1:33am

Post #30 of 41 (567 views)
Shortcut
Implying that those of us who *are* commenting on and discussing this incredibly slim chance are somehow not level-headed individuals. [In reply to] Can't Post

Last time I checked, this was a discussion board.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 18 2014, 1:55am

Post #31 of 41 (565 views)
Shortcut
No offense intended [In reply to] Can't Post

Discuss away! Maybe it will even happen. In event it will help pass the time during a low news period.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2014, 2:06am

Post #32 of 41 (577 views)
Shortcut
they won't split what they already have shot into another film [In reply to] Can't Post

only way this could happen is if they add material from between the time The Hobbit ends and LOTR's begins.

The flames of war are upon you.

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Apr 18 2014, 3:57am

Post #33 of 41 (561 views)
Shortcut
Padding & Embellishment [In reply to] Can't Post

Padding is unnecessary information added that extends the run-time of a movie. It is usually a product of bad editing. Embellishment is the expansion of the story/plot of the movie by adding details that expand the scope (and run-time) of the Movie. These can actually be viewed as necessary by the editor/director as they are involved in telling the expanded story. I do not believe that the embellished Hobbit that Peter Jackson has filmed has improved on the original book. KS

Photobucket

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2014, 6:56am

Post #34 of 41 (540 views)
Shortcut
I'm surprised you found the need to comment on my comments.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Must be because you came here to comment yourself! Tongue

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

Lissuin
Valinor

Apr 18 2014, 10:35am

Post #35 of 41 (516 views)
Shortcut
THAT's what the secret [In reply to] Can't Post

assembly plant over the mountains has been working on. It has been reported that Lancaster bombers are being replicated, and original WWII materiale is being shipped over from the UK.

It's happening. Sir Peter is making Dam Busters: Into the Fire and Dam Busters: There and Back Again. One film was never going to be enough.

Pass the popcorn, Dormouse.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 18 2014, 11:52am

Post #36 of 41 (504 views)
Shortcut
Maybe. It depends... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
A Two Part Adaptation as originally proposed by GDT could have been just right, especially if they stuck to the content of Tolkien's book. It isn't padding that t hurts the Hobbit movies it is embellishment. KS

If the goal is to tell a simple and entertaining children's story and nothing more then there is no need to go beyond a single movie. If the goal is to expand The Hobbit by incorporating the relevant additional material from the LotR Appendices (and/or explore new paths beyond what Tolkien recorded) then a two-film structure might have been ideal. I'm still not convinced that Jackson really needed to expand the project to three movies.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 18 2014, 12:36pm

Post #37 of 41 (490 views)
Shortcut
Touche! [In reply to] Can't Post

I knew you were going to say that. Wink

The Hall of Fire

Imladris18
Lorien

Apr 18 2014, 12:53pm

Post #38 of 41 (490 views)
Shortcut
True, I believe this is very much a product of a slow news period. [In reply to] Can't Post

It can still be a fun and intelligent discussion, regardless of how realistic the discussion is :)

Kangi Ska
Half-elven

Apr 18 2014, 5:20pm

Post #39 of 41 (474 views)
Shortcut
A grown-up Version of the Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

would best be served by a two part structure. It would not require another(#3) movie to complete. It is a matter of focusing upon the contents of the book and not getting carried away with the peripherals and the the additions made up whole cloth. In my opinion, a single movie would sacrifice far too much, as did the cartoon. KS

Photobucket

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2014, 8:22pm

Post #40 of 41 (448 views)
Shortcut
The cartoon... [In reply to] Can't Post

...was only 80 minutes long. If they had just added on another 20-30 minutes to include the stuff they omitted and rounded some of the stuff that was included a little more, they could have done a pretty comprehensive adaptation and still clocked in at under two hours. Both AUJ and DoS clocked in at well over 2 hours apiece. If the cartoon would have had the length of just one of the movies, it would have been able to cover the entire book with room to spare.

With that said, I agree that a two-parter would have been best. I am a fan of the idea to include the Gandalf side-journey, and I also think it was a good idea to give Bard a bigger role. But even with those additions, I still think it all could have been done in only two films. Tighten up all of the action scenes by a lot (and omit the PJ-invented ones like the bunny chase, the Lake-town brawl, and the Smaug/Dwarves nonsense), cut out all of the Tauriel/Legolas/Kili love triangle BS and reduce the Elves to minor characters who stay in Mirkwood, have the White Council stuff be established through dialogue and a flashback scene to explain the whole thing, keep the Azanulbizar flashback just to establish Bolg and Dain but cut the entire Orc chase/revenge fan-fiction subplot (Azog would have died at Moria of course), etc etc etc. It all could have easily been done in two films with plenty of room for character development, and no one is going to convince me otherwise.

(This post was edited by Salmacis81 on Apr 18 2014, 8:27pm)

brotherbeck
Rivendell

Apr 18 2014, 10:09pm

Post #41 of 41 (433 views)
Shortcut
One Epic Film [In reply to] Can't Post

I honestly believe that the exact same story that PJ has decided to tell with these three very long films could have been portrayed well in one epic length movie. It would have taken focus and discipline. Many scenes would have needed to be streamlined or excised altogether, but I truly think this would have resulted in a much better movie. I would personally leave them out, but even all of the CGI action scenes would work in one long movie, but they would have to be drastically shortened - something that I personally think would have made them much more tolerable.

Three hours is a LONG TIME. Picture how much story happens in a movie like Braveheart, and that movie is roughly three hours. I'm not saying one long film is the best idea for these films, but it could have easily been done and done well. I think two films would have worked great also, splitting exactly where we left off in DoS.

I don't understand why PJ feels the need to make every movie 3+ hours long... His King Kong to me was probably a pretty good 90 minute movie stretched out to at least twice as long as it should have been. When the decision was made to split The Hobbit into three films, I was really hoping that we would get three well-paced normal length films. I don't understand why this wasn't the way everyone involved in the production wanted to go: shorter runtimes means more shows per day for the studio; average filmgoers seem more likely to try watching a two hour film that might be oustide of their comfort zone as opposed to a three hour one; extended editions are all but a guarantee at this point so PJ would know he has all the time in the world to stretch these films out at a later date for home video.

Also as a sort of side-note, I don't see why its always assumed that all of the films need to be the same length. If they wanted AUJ to end where it did in the story at the Carrock, then 1 1/2 to 2 hours for that film would have been perfect. DoS can be a little longer or shorter, whatever works for that film. And then TABA would probably be the longest of the three because it has so muich story to cover plus probably a denoument of some kind.

When I watch AUJ and now DoS I can practically feel PJ trying to stretch each story out to fill the three hour mark - and there is still so much to cover in TABA that I worry about how he could possibly stick the landing at this point.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.