The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Radagast Question

Sebastian the Hedgehog
Rivendell

Apr 15 2014, 12:04am

Post #1 of 23 (814 views)
Shortcut
Radagast Question Can't Post

I've seen speculations on this forum before about Radagast dying. I never understood this. Are there some hints or clues somewhere in any production videos or pictures that started this? Or is this just people thinking? I don't really think it would happen or be a good idea; it just doesn't make sense to me. So I was just wondering where this came from.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Apr 15 2014, 12:08am

Post #2 of 23 (548 views)
Shortcut
Radagast's Staff [In reply to] Can't Post

Apparently the one Radagast is carrying now is the one Gandalf carries in the beginning of FOTR. This has led many to believe that Radagast will die and Gandalf will pick up his staff. (I, personally, do not want Radagast to die, since I consider him the epitome of crazy awesome.)

Some have also speculated that Radagast will turn into the moth that comes to Gandalf at Orthanc...

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Sebastian the Hedgehog
Rivendell

Apr 15 2014, 12:13am

Post #3 of 23 (510 views)
Shortcut
The moth idea is weird too [In reply to] Can't Post

I forgot about that.

But that is interesting about the staffs; I never noticed that before.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 15 2014, 12:38am

Post #4 of 23 (506 views)
Shortcut
The other reason (if you want to call it that) [In reply to] Can't Post

...is that he didn't appear in LotR. This logic also applies the Tauriel. I personally see no reason why characters in TH need to either die or appear in LotR, but some people are very literal-minded.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 15 2014, 1:25am

Post #5 of 23 (480 views)
Shortcut
They don't look like the same staff to me [In reply to] Can't Post

They both have little branches at the top, but when I put the pictures side by side they really don't appear to be the same staff.

Hop to it, Radagast, we've got dark powers to sleigh.

Faleel
Rohan

Apr 15 2014, 1:26am

Post #6 of 23 (478 views)
Shortcut
Remember [In reply to] Can't Post

that Gandalf had three different staffs in FOTR.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Apr 15 2014, 1:42am

Post #7 of 23 (472 views)
Shortcut
It's the same staff [In reply to] Can't Post

This was confirmed by PBoyens (I think it was her, possibly on the AUJ EE commentary) as well as Sylvester McCoy at some point in the past.

However, just because it's the same staff doesn't mean that Radagast must die. I personally don't think he will. Plenty of folk (including the whole kingdoms of Erebor and Dale) are not mentioned in the Lord of the Rings films, yet presumably they will return to their former prosperity after the events of Taba (if we're going by the books).

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

tsmith675
Gondor

Apr 15 2014, 2:25am

Post #8 of 23 (485 views)
Shortcut
I would bet a kidney that Radagast... [In reply to] Can't Post

Does not die.

Our destiny lies above us.

deskp
Lorien

Apr 15 2014, 3:17am

Post #9 of 23 (435 views)
Shortcut
yea [In reply to] Can't Post

And Radagast does not need his staff, after Mirkwood is cleansed of the evil in dol guldur.

Gandalf certainly needs it more right away for bo5a.

Besides he can create? another one however Gandalf does it after the orthanc incident.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Apr 15 2014, 6:56am

Post #10 of 23 (406 views)
Shortcut
But that would ad a sense of menace to Sauron in the next Hobbit movie and the rest LOTR saga [In reply to] Can't Post

That he is able to kill an Istari

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 15 2014, 10:54am

Post #11 of 23 (344 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't like to see Radagast die [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I get the impression that he is still around at the time of LotR.

Completely unnecessary.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 15 2014, 11:31am

Post #12 of 23 (343 views)
Shortcut
Like The LONE RANGER...doesn't stay for a Thank YOU? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Gandalf,
I'm headed NORTH..Mount
Gundabad
needz Cleansing...

Could still be War in the North..."

His awesome Bunny sled Flyzz
over Snow!... into a
MiddleEarthy
Sunset...

Picture THAT!

YourBomby wantzz to be
Laughin' when Raddy
Leaves..the
"MovieVerse?"

ShockedShocked

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 15 2014, 11:42am

Post #13 of 23 (348 views)
Shortcut
In the books, Radagast is stll alive in LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

and during the Council of Elrond, Gandalf recounts a conversation he recently had with Radagast near Bree, about the Nazgul being abroad. Radagast acts as a messenger between Gandalf and Saruman before they know about Saruman's treachery. (Also, Radagast rides a horse - no bunny sled!)

Hop to it, Radagast, we've got dark powers to sleigh.

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 15 2014, 1:08pm

Post #14 of 23 (344 views)
Shortcut
He dies... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but comes back as Radagast the Beige.

Brother will fight brother and both be his slayer,
brother and sister will violate all bonds of kinship;
hard it will be in the world, there will be much failure of honor,
an age of axes, an age of swords, where shields are shattered,
an age of winds, an age of wolves, where the world comes crashing down;
no man will spare another.

-From the Völuspá, 13th Century

Imladris18
Lorien

Apr 15 2014, 1:49pm

Post #15 of 23 (314 views)
Shortcut
Regarding the moth... [In reply to] Can't Post

That is kinda out the window since our bug friend makes an appearance in AUJ.

I do, however, like the idea that Radagast is the conduit for moth/eagle communication. This can make the eagles' appearances less like a deus ex machina, too.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 15 2014, 1:51pm

Post #16 of 23 (322 views)
Shortcut
Well, Galdalf lost his staff [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
This was confirmed by PBoyens (I think it was her, possibly on the AUJ EE commentary) as well as Sylvester McCoy at some point in the past.

However, just because it's the same staff doesn't mean that Radagast must die. I personally don't think he will. Plenty of folk (including the whole kingdoms of Erebor and Dale) are not mentioned in the Lord of the Rings films, yet presumably they will return to their former prosperity after the events of Taba (if we're going by the books).

Gandalf's staff was destroyed by Sauron, so maybe Radagast gives his staff to Gandalf so he can rejoin the Dwarves. I really don't think he's going to die - but we all know who will (sniff)!Unsure

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Apr 15 2014, 3:30pm

Post #17 of 23 (295 views)
Shortcut
This makes the most sense [In reply to] Can't Post

I trust we will see Radagast give Gandalf his staff upon his rescue. Perhaps while Gandalf gallops away on that horse, we will see Radagast venturing off to seek the aid of the Eagles/Beorn before the clouds burst.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Sebastian the Hedgehog
Rivendell

Apr 15 2014, 3:35pm

Post #18 of 23 (297 views)
Shortcut
Right [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why I don't understand why people think he will die. I'd say it would be non-canon, but then so are a lot of things PJ has done Tongue But killing off canon characters seems highly unlikely.

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 15 2014, 3:45pm

Post #19 of 23 (286 views)
Shortcut
Haldir / [In reply to] Can't Post

Brother will fight brother and both be his slayer,
brother and sister will violate all bonds of kinship;
hard it will be in the world, there will be much failure of honor,
an age of axes, an age of swords, where shields are shattered,
an age of winds, an age of wolves, where the world comes crashing down;
no man will spare another.

-From the Völuspá, 13th Century

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Apr 15 2014, 4:53pm

Post #20 of 23 (267 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I don't really want to see that... [In reply to] Can't Post

There are quite a few things to come in TABA that might be hard for some us us to watch. So one more thing to cry over seems unnecessary...

I like to think that he gives his staff to Gandalf and that he fades into the background, supporting the effort of good for a while, then disappearing to live among his beloved animals and plants.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Imladris18
Lorien

Apr 15 2014, 6:06pm

Post #21 of 23 (256 views)
Shortcut
Haldir's fate was never really drawn out past Lothlorien, though. [In reply to] Can't Post

Radagast is KNOWN to still be around.

Sebastian the Hedgehog
Rivendell

Apr 15 2014, 7:00pm

Post #22 of 23 (244 views)
Shortcut
I was hoping no one would mention that :P [In reply to] Can't Post

It is true though. It just seems like Radagast is more of an important character? I don't really know how to say it other than that.

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Apr 15 2014, 8:47pm

Post #23 of 23 (230 views)
Shortcut
Who's Radagast ??....joking [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.