Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Orlando Bloom says something about TABA (might be interesting)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

glor
Rohan

Apr 15 2014, 6:51pm

Post #26 of 48 (1291 views)
Shortcut
Yes it's meaningless [In reply to] Can't Post

This was not an Empire/Times/Washington Post/Cominsoon.net/Insert relatively well regarded movie website here interview. It was an offhand comment made on a podium to a crowd outside the MTV Awards, one short sentence, it was not a spoiler, or indepth reveal...

..it's silly season on The Hobbit Boards Wink. That BTW is a reference to the UK summer parlimentary recess in which all the news media gets filled with anything and I mean anything, even an off hand comment, that gets blowup into news. (No offence meant by to the OP BTW). It happened last year here on TORN between the TE DVD and the EE DVD we all stagger around int he darkness grasping at anything that could potentially be a tidbit about the next film. So lets enjoy TORN's silly season one last time.Tongue

(This post was edited by glor on Apr 15 2014, 6:54pm)

Thranderz
Rohan

Apr 15 2014, 7:26pm

Post #27 of 48 (1267 views)
Shortcut
I hadn't even thought of that! [In reply to] Can't Post

I also want this exact scenario to happen! Cool

I simply walked into Mordor.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 15 2014, 7:56pm

Post #28 of 48 (1265 views)
Shortcut
Firing the windlance bolt with a longbow? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Smaug will no doubt remember that Girion used a windlance to shoot at him all those years ago and IMO it will be the first thing he destroys. Then, just as all hope seems lost, Bard will have no choice but to use his big ol' bow to shoot the Black Arrow and that's how Smaug will die. I hope that's how it happens anyway.Smile

I can't imagine that looking anything except terrible. The windlance bolt is all out of proportion to a normal bow.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Apr 15 2014, 8:04pm

Post #29 of 48 (1263 views)
Shortcut
Oin fought off Goblins, and took part in fighting the Trolls in AUJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

So he's not just a helpless medic.

But agree, Smaug's attack on Lake-town should be Bard's show. The roles of the Dwarves and Tauriel should be minimal.

flameofudun
Lorien

Apr 15 2014, 8:33pm

Post #30 of 48 (1274 views)
Shortcut
So was he saying [In reply to] Can't Post

Orc versus elf, (and) Dwarf vs dragon, or was he saying it all in collection as in a 4 way battle?

''We are very dangerous over short distances''

-Gimli

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 15 2014, 9:19pm

Post #31 of 48 (1238 views)
Shortcut
But Bard's bow isn't normal [In reply to] Can't Post

It's as tall as he is. I personally don't see why it wouldn't work.

"So I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine"
--Hillsong United

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 15 2014, 9:34pm

Post #32 of 48 (1238 views)
Shortcut
Longbow [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's as tall as he is. I personally don't see why it wouldn't work.

It's a normal longbow, or at least a fairly normal one. What you are suggesting is like asking an archer to fire a fireplace poker.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Faleel
Rohan

Apr 15 2014, 9:39pm

Post #33 of 48 (1222 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

is it a length problem or a width/mass problem? if its a length problem, who says he couldn't quickly modify the Black Arrow's length to fit his bow?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 15 2014, 9:49pm

Post #34 of 48 (1226 views)
Shortcut
Weight/Mass [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
is it a length problem or a width/mass problem? if its a length problem, who says he couldn't quickly modify the Black Arrow's length to fit his bow?

It is the weight more than anything else. We are talking about an iron or steel ballista bolt, something that is much more massive and much more heavy than an ordinary arrow--even a war-arrow for a longbow. This is probably at least as heavy as a small crowbar.

Imladris18
Lorien

Apr 15 2014, 11:57pm

Post #35 of 48 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, a black arrow fired from a longbow would go like 20 feet, lol. [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 16 2014, 12:18am

Post #36 of 48 (1213 views)
Shortcut
To be honest... [In reply to] Can't Post

it sounded to me like he was saying "Orc vs Elf" because that's the part he was involved in, and then added "and Dwarf Vs Dragon" sort of as an afterthought and acknowledgment of the main storyline of the film. He stumbled over his words slightly as he was saying it, so it didn't sound like a rehearsed comment, more like he was just trying to find a balanced way to end his comment. I'm not sure it will bear a whole lot of analysis into deeper meanings, actually.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

MechaGodzilla
Rivendell

Apr 16 2014, 12:32am

Post #37 of 48 (1208 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's most likely what it is [In reply to] Can't Post

More like a general comment, not necessarily intended to accurately reflect any actual plot events. For all we know he doesn't even really have much of an idea what it's about, a lot of actors don't. I'm not saying that as an insult, it is after all a job first and foremost and they can't be expected to be that into the source material of every adaptation they're in.

Jeff Goldblum comes to mind, once when he spoke about his role in the Jurassic Park films and how he'd like to be in the fourth, saying something like "I had great fun slaying dinosaurs". The thing is, his character never did any slaying of any kind, obviously he just wasn't paying attention, and that probably applies to a fair few actors in these films as well.

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 16 2014, 1:22pm

Post #38 of 48 (1147 views)
Shortcut
Memories of last summer ): [In reply to] Can't Post

At least for me, pathetically wandering through the Internet searching for the faintest scrap of news and getting excited when an image of a German game finally came out (LOL, now a poster on my wall). Tho I'm more wary of TABA considering its darknessUnsure

Not sure how much weight to put on what an actor might say, considering all the stuff that gets filmed and then never shows up - obviously the actors know SOMETHING, but who know what PJ is gonna do? I'm still waiting to see this talked-about "firefly" scene between Thorin and Bilbo, which sounds lovely even if it didn't fit anyplace.

"Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass." - Den of Geek, The Hobbit: There & Back Again, 7 Apr 2014 - 07:07

RyaB

Apr 16 2014, 3:39pm

Post #39 of 48 (1126 views)
Shortcut
Firing the windlance [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that Smaug will recognise the windlance, I'm hoping for a really dramatic race, Bard to fire the windlance and Smaug to destroy it, with everything hanging on a knife edge.Shocked

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 16 2014, 4:16pm

Post #40 of 48 (1134 views)
Shortcut
I like that [In reply to] Can't Post

Since, apparently, it wouldn't be possible for Bard to fire the Black Arrow from his longbow, your thought that there will be a race to get to the windlance works for me too.Smile It's still exciting and still acknowledges the fact that Smaug remembers Girion.

When oceans rise
--Hillsong United

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 16 2014, 4:28pm

Post #41 of 48 (1104 views)
Shortcut
Firefly scene? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm still waiting to see this talked-about "firefly" scene between Thorin and Bilbo, which sounds lovely even if it didn't fit anyplace.

What firefly scene? I haven't heard about that before.

When oceans rise
--Hillsong United

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 16 2014, 6:27pm

Post #42 of 48 (1115 views)
Shortcut
Fireflies of Erebor [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, supposedly Thorin and Bilbo had a scene - or a planned scene - where during their time at Rivendell Thorin explains to Bilbo what it was like to grow up in Erebor - that when he was young he would look up in Erebor and there would be these fireflies (like stars) way up in the ceiling, and Thorin would look up and see them.

There was some discussion of this way back on TORn - that this was cut as it wouldn't make sense to have the untrusting Thorin be that open with Bilbo that soon, that Thorin wouldn't open up that way to an insignificant hobbit that he didn't really want on the journey anyway. But I could have seen it happening, Thorin maybe being tired or having too much wine, having an unguarded moment, and to me it would have made sense that the hobbit would have asked about Erebor at some point (I mean, if I found out I was traveling with an exiled king, I'd ask some questions).

And it sounded lovely *wistful*. I wish I could see it, if it was really filmed (I think RA talked about it in an article). I don't care if it "fits" or not.

"Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass." - Den of Geek, The Hobbit: There & Back Again, 7 Apr 2014 - 07:07

Eldy
Tol Eressea

Apr 16 2014, 10:38pm

Post #43 of 48 (1074 views)
Shortcut
I agree with Orlando when he says... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that "the new Hobbit can only get better". It definitely can't get any worse! Sly

(Meant in good fun.)

There's a feeling I get, when I look to the West...

Cirashala
Valinor

Apr 19 2014, 4:41am

Post #44 of 48 (1039 views)
Shortcut
If the arrow is hollow [In reply to] Can't Post

and made of a lightweight metal, in theory it could work, if he did a reverse pull.

I'm an archer (not ME good, but still an archer) and I think he could feasibly at least draw it back far enough. So whether or not it would fly and fly straight would depend on the weight of the arrow itself. And most arrows (at least modern ones) are hollow anyway- so a hollow metal arrow could work if made with a lightweight metal.

As for the bow- it would have to have a very HIGH draw weight, otherwise the arrow wouldn't get enough force to push off. But longbows can go as high as 100-125 pound draw weight, if not higher depending on the wood it's made out of.

Check out this vid- it will give some great insights into arrow/bow dynamics Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWCN7HId-b8

In case it doesn't work (youtube links don't work sometimes) look up lindybeige some points about arrows Smile

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Apr 19 2014, 4:41am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 19 2014, 12:14pm

Post #45 of 48 (1036 views)
Shortcut
Ballista Bolts [In reply to] Can't Post

The windlance is essentially a fancy ballista--a siege weapon. The heavy arrows or bolts that were used in ballista were typically about 4 kilograms (almost 9 pounds) in mass, and 1.2 to 1.7 meters (4 to 6 feet) in length.* A longbow for a tall man would need arrows of about 4 feet in length, but those would be considerably lighter than a ballista bolt. Actually, the arrow for the windlance looks a bit shorter than a typical bolt and might be too short for a proper draw from a longbow.

* Data taken from The Compendium of Weapons, Armour & Castles by Matthew Balent (1991; Palladium Books).

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Apr 19 2014, 12:18pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Apr 21 2014, 12:52am

Post #46 of 48 (1016 views)
Shortcut
Length of bolt [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the black arrow was actually taller than Bard (or nearly as tall?)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 21 2014, 2:08pm

Post #47 of 48 (973 views)
Shortcut
Is it? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I thought the black arrow was actually taller than Bard (or nearly as tall?)

Not that I recall. I'm not sure that the bolt is much over a meter long, but I've had trouble finding a good screengrab of Bard holding it.

Name
Rohan

Apr 21 2014, 2:44pm

Post #48 of 48 (1005 views)
Shortcut
Yeah I don't think it's that tall. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bard gives it to his son Bain, who seems to handle it with ease, from what I remember. So it must be shorter than Bain. I'd also say about a meter long.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.