Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What moving visual media ya been watching recently? (weekly movie, etc thread)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Apr 16 2014, 2:28am

Post #51 of 62 (512 views)
Shortcut
Love that sheep!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Timmy is so cute!!

Love the episode with the alien and the one with the cabbage!!! Fun times!!

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Kerewyn
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 7:10am

Post #52 of 62 (513 views)
Shortcut
Two kids movies and a Marvel [In reply to] Can't Post

Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Certainly some wow moments and interesting character arcs, but this is probably my least favourite Marvel movie to date. Maybe I'd had a tiring day, and it was a late session, but I just felt overly sensitive to the extreme number of explosions. I realise that with Marvel, I am preferring the Whedon / Stark / Asgard element. But I totally get why Cap's story needed a grittier style and darker treatment, and how it adds to the Marvel arc as a whole.
Also, we are behind in Australia on Agents of SHIELD, so I was unable to enjoy this tie-in that I'm hearing about.

The Lego Movie. Great story message - not as twee as I was expecting. I felt it could have been edited in a couple of places, it started to lose me in some of the fast action before the 'reveal'... but maybe I was just surprised that the 3 year old sitting near me managed the whole thing without wriggling. He was riveted!

Muppets Most Wanted. Had me smiling and giggling throughout. Went with a Jim Henson fan, who also enjoyed this more than the previous muppet movie. Great to see Jermaine Clement in his role. I knew beforehand that he was in it, otherwise might not have recognised him.

Caught up on some favourite TV: The Blacklist S2 (love James Spader!) Downton Abbey S4. Agents of SHIELD.
Am also slowly working my way through Pushing Daisies, the AUJ appendices, and Season 2 of Sherlock.

'O' is very useful. You use it when you say... "Oscar's only ostrich oiled an orange owl today."

Annael
Immortal

Apr 16 2014, 2:16pm

Post #53 of 62 (511 views)
Shortcut
Okay, can we talk Agents of SHIELD now? (SPOILERS) [In reply to] Can't Post

So I really liked last night's episode. Of course the battle is really just starting, especially for Coulson's team, not knowing who they can trust or where they can go. I liked that May and Simmons especially were right on the line about trusting Coulson. And Coulson . . . I've always loved Clark Gregg but wow! Pulled out all the stops this time.

And Ward! Much more interesting character now!

Rayna - hmmm, I sense she's not totally on board with Garrett. Will be interesting to see how that plays out. Garrett clearly doesn't care about Hydra, he's feathering his own nest. I bet he's not the only one.

I remain unimpressed with Skye, who mostly seems to stand around with her mouth hanging slackly open (I scream at the TV "SHUT YOUR MOUTH BEFORE A FLY GETS IN!"). Give that actress adenoid surgery please so she can breathe through her nose instead?

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Apr 16 2014, 2:18pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 16 2014, 3:38pm

Post #54 of 62 (508 views)
Shortcut
Lots of thoughts (***Agents of SHIELD SPOILERS***) [In reply to] Can't Post

Since you asked....Smile

I’m very glad Coulson is distrustful of May. It should take quite a while for her to earn his trust again.

It’s now clear who Ward was blaming for Skye’s shooting at the end of T.R.A.C.K.S. (Episode 13) Initially I thought he was unprofessionally blaming Fitz for letting her go into Quinn’s mansion alone, and I was anticipating some stupid blame game, but now it’s clear he was angry at Garrett for giving Quinn the order to shoot her.

It’s interesting that Ward seems to be the one killing all the SHIELD agents. Of course if he’s really doing it it’s going to be hard for him to come back as a hero. But he could be using that advanced stunner. (but surely Garrett would notice the gore-less nature of the wounds.) Alternately they could be Life Model Decoys (Stark mentions their existence in The Avengers), thus actually helping the real Hand and other agents get off the grid and deeper into cover. (I mean, Fury did the same thing.)

In Turn, Turn, Turn (Episode 17) immediately after the battle for The Hub, Skye witnesses Coulson and Ward have a rather frantic discussion in a hallway which neither she nor the audience can hear. Is this where Ward is receiving instructions from Coulson about “turning”? I note that triple agents are not uncommon in SHIELD. Both Black Widow and Victoria Hand at one time or another “betrayed” SHIELD at the behest of Fury.

It’s interesting to see the opening rift between Fitz and Simmons as they slowly drift apart in personal and professional outlooks.

I note that Victoria Hand is (currently) dead in the Marvel comic book universe. (Killed in revenge by Doctor Voodoo’s brother.)

Also Eric Koenig was a member of WWII’s Howling Commandos, only he was taller, blonder, and over all much more Nordic than Patton Oswalt. (So is he a fake, or is this the REAL Eric Koenig and, like Agent Stillwell, merely another Marvel character who has been de-WASPed?)

Colonel Talbot, the guy coming to take over The Hub, is General Ross’ aide and a member of HulkBusters. In the comics Talbot was eventually killed fighting the Hulk, but later somehow came back, but really he didn’t but was actually a Life Model Decoy though he didn’t know it. Later he really did come back from the grave to help fight evil, but then went back after they won. I think he’s still dead, but with Marvel you never know.

BTW, similarly Ward could be a HYDRA Life Model Decoy only he doesn't know it and the real Ward's good personality might slowly begin emerging.

And was Garrett the guy who wouldn’t let Ward throw down a rope to that kid in the well in The Well (Episode 8)?

And yeah, Skye is so irritatingly Mary Sue, so just sign me:

"Another Member of the Society to Trap Skye Forever in a Big Glob of Gravitonium"

https://www.facebook.com/slatesforsarah

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Apr 16 2014, 3:51pm)

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Apr 16 2014, 3:57pm

Post #55 of 62 (497 views)
Shortcut
Marvel Speculative Spoilers Within [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, agreed that Ward is a more interesting character as well as a more interesting actor now.

Is redemption possible? Even if some of those he's shot were iced and not killed... how do you return from that? It was one of the things in Star Trek that I could not stand... this person (Picard) was suborned by the Borg and yet you welcome him back with open arms....

There has to be a continued distrust.... even if it comes out that he is a double (triple?) agent . Ward's watched, allowed and aided Hydra to release the worst criminals. How can that be forgiven? By himself as well as by anyone else. They may understand, they may accept that it was "necessary" but to forgive it.... impossible.

Agreed also about Skye... for pity's sake... emote, I am reminded more and more of Kristen Stewart who is among the most wooden and one note actresses I've seen.

Who ran TAHITI (The Alien Hidden in Tank I ???) Who's left?

Also is this the future of TV and theater.... a blending and blurring of the lines.... a creation of a universe that you enter at different points and see from different angles.... Will they keep it consistent? Will bits and pieces become imcompatible? Will they do a lot of background explaining each time (thus driving hard core fans insane with being talked down to) or will they work on the sink or swim theory (thus leaving those who walk in in the middle totally confused until they rent/find all umpteen million hours of back story episodes/movies)?

The disillusion of Fitz -- he unfortunately is being used as the wide eyed naive soul.... surely he would have grown up a bit more.... think of that episode where he went to retrieve the week's McGuffin with Ward.... he's slid back from that growth in awareness.

Ah, well, they've got me intrigued... now to see whether they shoot themselves in the foot by changing the date of the show, the time, skipping a week, a month... etc...

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 16 2014, 5:52pm

Post #56 of 62 (487 views)
Shortcut
"Cognitive re-calibration." ***SPOILERS: Agents of SHIELD and The Avengers*** [In reply to] Can't Post

"I hit you really hard in the head."
-The Black Widow to Hawkeye

Is redemption possible?

Indeed, Hawkeye obviously was having a hard time forgiving himself for killing so many innocents in The Avengers.

Of course the question of "is redemption possible" was the central concept of Whedon's TV series "Angel".
(BTW, notice how similar Brett Dalton is to David Boreanaz? Coincidence? I think not!!)

I do like how Coulson now distrusts former best friend May ("allies, not friends"). I too don't care for those standard TV storylines where one episode features great betrayal and then in the next everything is normal again. (Though I fear the rift will be mended by something comic book cheesy, like May almost dying saving Coulson's life and then all is forgiven.)

BTW, I now recall a story line where Eric Koenig also betrayed Fury in "Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos" by going back to Germany and rejoining the Nazis but it was later okay as it was revealed he was acting as a triple agent.

I don't know if Ward is being mind controlled. Wouldn't Lorelei's spell ("Yes Men", Episode 15) cancel that out? And when her spell was broken, Ward would then be free? But on the other hand, wouldn't have Ward told her of HYDRA? And wouldn't that be another secret she would have taunted May and the others with?

I'm probably over-thinking all of this anwyay and the resolution will be something pulled out of Whedon's hairy beard.

(That is why I hate getiing involved in TV series. Most of the time I put a lot more thought into it than the writers do.)

https://www.facebook.com/slatesforsarah

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Apr 17 2014, 2:19am

Post #57 of 62 (470 views)
Shortcut
No magic for me either. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Misto
Lorien

Apr 17 2014, 9:21am

Post #58 of 62 (474 views)
Shortcut
Awww... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I saw "Hobbit 2" .. as my theater marquee-ed it... last night at my lovely vintage neighborhood second run theater.

How I miss ours! It's long gone, but I have very fond memories of that old run-down place that would enable us to see movies we missed in the first run. Also, thanks to being downright cheap, it was a place we would fall back on, just because it was there. When we didn't know how to spend the evening - we just went to the cinema. Try that in your "normal" theatre and you'll be broke within the month.

As for DOS: I think it depends greatly what you expect. I expected an action movie "with some ME tidbits" and that's what I got. Even the three LOTR-movies thrive, while quite enchanting at times, mostly on action like the Ride of the Rohirrim. Or that's my take on it, anyway. If I want the magic, I return to the book. *shrug*

That aside, I think I'm addicted. Blush I got the Grand Budapest Hotel soundtrack. While most of it is nice, I just play that last song on repeat and wait until the neighbours come down with an eviction noteAngelic

(This post was edited by Misto on Apr 17 2014, 9:21am)

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 17 2014, 7:21pm

Post #59 of 62 (440 views)
Shortcut
The Dark Knight Rises [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it in the theater when it came out and was disappointed, largely because half of Bane's dialog was unintelligible. So I finally decided to give it another chance on DVD with subtitles. It still didn't do much for me. Too long, too angsty, no fun. Anne Hathaway's Catwoman was pleasant to watch, not just for the catsuit and sexy fighting style, but mainly because she was the only character in the movie with a sense of humor.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

sherlock
Gondor

Apr 18 2014, 10:14am

Post #60 of 62 (440 views)
Shortcut
I could not place [In reply to] Can't Post

Jermaine until about halfway in the movie. I kept thinking why does that actor look so familiar & what have I seen him in? I loved the music & cameos in the movie.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 18 2014, 3:48pm

Post #61 of 62 (433 views)
Shortcut
for me, it's always the voice I recognize [In reply to] Can't Post

although maybe he didn't speak right off the bat.

I can remember when he was in an Outback Restaurant commercial a few years back. I recognized the voice way before I might have recognized the face (this was before the TV show and stuff).

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Annael
Immortal

Apr 20 2014, 2:32pm

Post #62 of 62 (421 views)
Shortcut
or [In reply to] Can't Post

is Ward the Severus Snape of "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D"?

The way we imagine our lives is the way we are going to go on living our lives.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.