Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Warner Brothers clarifies 'Desolation of Smaug' Bonus Feature confusion

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Apr 13 2014, 7:18pm

Post #1 of 7 (514 views)
Shortcut
Warner Brothers clarifies 'Desolation of Smaug' Bonus Feature confusion Can't Post

DofS blurayWith the release this past Tuesday of the Blu-ray and DVD Editions of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, there was a bit of confusion concerning several video advertisements and the bonus material on the discs.

The videos embedded below - "Beorn the Shapeshifter" and "Laketown - Entering the World of Men", as well as a "Giant Mirkwood Spiders" video on the L.A. Times website - contained snippets of behind the scenes video and interviews that many could not find of the discs.

Warner Brothers has now informed us that these are promotional pieces created to promote the release, and do not include material from the discs themselves.

The Bonus disc on both the Blu-ray and DVD releases do, however, contain the following content:

- Peter Jackson Invites You to the Set (In the Company of The Hobbit & All in a Day's Work) ~ 41 minutes
- Production Videos ~ 37 minutes
- Live Event: In the Cutting Room ~ 38 minutes
- New Zealand: Home of Middle-earth, Part 2 ~ 7 minutes
- Trailers & Previews ~ 12 minutes
- Music Video “I See Fire” by Ed Sheeran ~ 2 minutes

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Apr 14 2014, 5:30am

Post #2 of 7 (296 views)
Shortcut
i wasn't expecting any special features until the EE actually [In reply to] Can't Post

the AUJ TE had no special features, guess they were feeling generous.

photo 1bf768b4-0b33-420d-9c59-41ea3cf03def_zps1d44c4cf.jpg

smtfhw
Lorien

Apr 14 2014, 7:03am

Post #3 of 7 (288 views)
Shortcut
No, it doesn't... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the UK issue of the DVD version in front of me right now, and it does not, whatever WB say, contain:

- Peter Jackson Invites You to the Set (In the Company of The Hobbit & All in a Day's Work) ~ 41 minutes
- Production Videos ~ 37 minutes
- Live Event: In the Cutting Room ~ 38 minutes
- Trailers & Previews ~ 12 minutes
- Music Video "I See Fire" by Ed Sheeran ~ 2 minutes

The only "extras" it does contain are:
- New Zealand: Home of Middle-earth, Part 2 ~ 7 minutes
- Trailer #1 - 1.57
- Trailer #2 - 2.19

Increasingly I wonder if anyone at Warner Brothers actually has a clue what they're doing Frown

(This post was edited by smtfhw on Apr 14 2014, 7:14am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 14 2014, 7:07am

Post #4 of 7 (285 views)
Shortcut
US version does... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a 2 Disc Special Edition.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

smtfhw
Lorien

Apr 14 2014, 7:11am

Post #5 of 7 (285 views)
Shortcut
In the UK... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just one disc. Short-changed again basically by WB. We also didn't get the collectors edition this time, just as we didn't for AUJ.

TheHutt
Gondor

Apr 14 2014, 7:47am

Post #6 of 7 (274 views)
Shortcut
In Germany as well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...although Amazon.de was listing "2 DVDs" all the time.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet Project

Carne
Tol Eressea

Apr 14 2014, 3:44pm

Post #7 of 7 (223 views)
Shortcut
Going to wait for the EE // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.