The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Eowyn wedding dress

Glassary
Rivendell

Apr 13 2014, 10:42pm

Post #1 of 14 (4613 views)
Shortcut
Eowyn wedding dress Can't Post

I know this question has been asked before but hoping as time passed that the answer has changed.
Has anyone seen a picture or screen cap of the dress made for Eowyn and Faramirs wedding?
Know it was filmed but it's one of those elusive pics that has never surfaced.
Ngila and others noted it was one of the most lovely outfits designed for the films.
Thanks

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 14 2014, 12:16am

Post #2 of 14 (4369 views)
Shortcut
I have no idea [In reply to] Can't Post

But I am very eager to see it!

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Apr 14 2014, 12:17am)

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Apr 14 2014, 12:55am

Post #3 of 14 (4385 views)
Shortcut
No luck with this one [In reply to] Can't Post

According to this old discussion: http://newboards.theonering.net/...ble;post=68785;guest= and to Arwen's Daughter who knows about LOTR costumes (!) this dress is only mentioned but not shown ever. I checked if anything new has been published regarding it bt with no luck till now. This is a Tumblr blog about Faramir and Eowyn's wedding: http://it-am-i.tumblr.com/...r-and-eowyns-wedding In any case, I suggest you look through Arwen's Daughter's thread here as they discuss all LOTR costumes and there are some amazing details in them, Eowyn had many nice outfits.

P.S. When I googled this and went straight to images to check if anything new was available, I was struck by the dresses fans and designers have created under the "Eowyn wedding dress" tag. People have been inspired for some truly amazing outfits, really. And I'm also curious where thsi comes from, it's tagged Eowyn's LOTR dress, I like the unusual combination of colors but I don't recall such dress: http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/...01c1bc755552f990.jpg

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 14 2014, 3:59am

Post #4 of 14 (4354 views)
Shortcut
No pictures that I'm aware of [In reply to] Can't Post

There was a set report from Harry Knowles of AICN that described it as a beautiful beaded gown, but I've never seen a picture of this dress surface. I'm afraid that as time passes we're less and less likely to see one unless the fabled 20th anniversary edition with deleted scenes ever comes true.

If anyone has ever come across one I would love to see it!

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 14 2014, 3:14pm

Post #5 of 14 (4350 views)
Shortcut
Found a very brief description [In reply to] Can't Post

at this site:
http://it-am-i.tumblr.com/post/42876377247/faramir-and-eowyns-wedding

“Next up I find myself watching Faramir and Eowyn being married… Eowyn’s dress is quite literally one of the most beautiful beaded gowns I have ever seen in my life.

and a petition to release the footage of the wedding (who knew?)
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/eowynfaramirwedding/

I also, while looking for the wedding dress, found some deleted footage on YouTube showing Eowyn fighting the Uruk Hai at Helm's Deep, which I had never seen before, so that was fun. But no pictures of the dress Frown

Hop to it, Radagast, we've got dark powers to sleigh.

Glassary
Rivendell

Apr 14 2014, 4:14pm

Post #6 of 14 (4315 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL going to have to find and sign that petition! Hoping if there is footage that it's eventually released
and we don't have to wait till PJ puts out a 20th anniversary extended extended edition.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 14 2014, 4:54pm

Post #7 of 14 (4330 views)
Shortcut
What a lovely dress [In reply to] Can't Post

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/...01c1bc755552f990.jpg

I got curious and did some digging. I don't know why it appeared in a search for Eowyn's wedding dress, but it's from the 1956 film Diane and was worn by Lana Turner. The dress was auctioned off as part of the Debbie Reynolds costume auction a few years ago and you can find a lot of great pictures of it online if you're interested.

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site

breezin
The Shire

Apr 14 2014, 8:11pm

Post #8 of 14 (4330 views)
Shortcut
Heavily embroidered dress [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd still love to see it too.

That said, I can't help but wonder if it's the same dress as the coronation gown. The description says that's it's a beautiful beaded gown. The coronation gown doesn't have extensive beading, but the heavily embroidered fabric plus the beaded/embroidered trim and belt might match the description.

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/.../Eowyn/Cornation.htm

Here's crossing my fingers that it at least will appear in the DVD extras of a so-called Ultimate Edition of LOTR someday. I know that "The Return of the King" had several epilogue scenes edited, but still I'd love to see a clip of Eowyn's wedding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBeyjiOVX6c

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Apr 15 2014, 12:04am

Post #9 of 14 (4285 views)
Shortcut
How interesting! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, Arwen's Daughter, for the investigation. I really liked the dress, it is quite daring and impressive. I'll go look for more pics. :)

I believe

Glassary
Rivendell

Apr 15 2014, 1:49am

Post #10 of 14 (4278 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks everyone for all the awesome links. I've been drooling over the costumes and clothes
linked to with absolute envy.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Apr 15 2014, 2:05am

Post #11 of 14 (4290 views)
Shortcut
No, it's a different one [In reply to] Can't Post

Ngila herself speaks of those two as of different pieces. Our only hope is for them to release the additional footage they filmed and never made it to the movies.

I believe

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 20 2014, 7:12am

Post #12 of 14 (4272 views)
Shortcut
I saw the dress. [In reply to] Can't Post

She was wearing it in the coronation scene, but you only saw the top bodice for about one second. But the dress was exhibited at the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising in LA for several months in the spring of 2004.

Seeing all the actual costumes for LotR in the same hall as costums from ~ 10 other movies of the same year was a revelation. Ngila Dickson was incredible. She had the fabrics developed specially, and the detail work was awesome. Comparing the LotR costumes with others from movies of the same era (she was also nominated for The Last Samurai that year, and those were also good) revealed just how detail-oriented she was.

She knew how important the costume was to the actor wearing it. Théoden's breastplate, for example, was all genuine leather, and richly embossed not only on the outside but also the inside. Only he could see it, as he put it on, but he knew.

The beading on this gown, which was barely glimpsed, was incredible, and cost many hours of labor. I earnestly hope these wonderful costumes are preserved and will be exhibited somewhere sometime.

Each year they show costumes from 8-10 movies, plus the Academy Award winner from the previous year. Here is their current exhibition, which lasts only till April 30.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Apr 20 2014, 7:26am)

Glassary
Rivendell

Apr 20 2014, 11:31pm

Post #13 of 14 (4214 views)
Shortcut
Wondered if that was the dress. [In reply to] Can't Post

It flashed by so fast and didn't get to see any detail. Envy you Elizabeth having seen this exhibit. Hopefully it will be shown again somewhere and pictures can be taken.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 20 2014, 11:59pm

Post #14 of 14 (4250 views)
Shortcut
There are lots of pictures of the Coronation dress out there [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never seen any evidence that this is the same dress as the one that was used for her wedding scenes, though it's certainly possible.

We talked about Eowyn's coronation dress here, with links to more pictures and details at the bottom of the post: http://newboards.theonering.net/...gi?post=71612;#71612

My Costuming Site

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.