The Problem(s) of Kili and Fili
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

deskp
Lorien

Apr 19 2014, 4:15am

Post #26 of 33 (330 views)
Shortcut
nah [In reply to] Can't Post

I disagree, Going to get life saving medicine should be a priority over watching your brother die.

I certiainly wuldnt trust in bofur to acomplish the task asap if i were Fili

Cirashala
Valinor

Apr 19 2014, 4:17am

Post #27 of 33 (338 views)
Shortcut
I disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree that there hasn't been a lot of characterization (I bemoan that too- in fact, I am writing a very long FF BECAUSE I put in a lot more characterization based on how I've perceived both book and movie characters due to extensive observation).

But I disagree that you can't get nearly entire character characterization in one film. Denethor. Faramir.

And if you count more than just ROTK- Boromir. Elrond (we barely see him in the other two- mostly just in Fellowship). Galadriel (I am talking LOTR EE here, not TH). They were (mostly) in just one film within the trilogy, and yet everyone knows who they are, their stance on the state of ME, and a good portion of their characters.

So while I am also saddened that Fili didn't make as much of an appearance as I'd have liked (Fili and Kili were my favorite dwarves even in the books before I heard of the movies being made), I think he's had more than most of the other dwarves (a LOT more, considering the actor switch fiasco). He does need more for sure, but I'm hoping DOS EE, TABA, and TABA EE will help.

Cirashala
Valinor

Apr 19 2014, 4:18am

Post #28 of 33 (331 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

I think you meant brothers, but in that particular scene they were also being bothers too TongueCool

It sure made me giggle when I read it though Wink

Cirashala
Valinor

Apr 19 2014, 4:26am

Post #29 of 33 (332 views)
Shortcut
In the book [In reply to] Can't Post

it wasn't until Laketown that their relationship was emphasized anyway "Kili and Fili, the sons of my father's daughter" (I may have gotten the name order wrong- Fili is older in the appendices where his birthdate is 5 years before Kili, but in the book Thorin says that Fili is youngest). There was absolutely NO indication of relation until that point, so I think in terms of bookverse they hit it spot on (nearly- but it was likely moved to end of Laketown, rather than beginning (company wise) because the way they arrived in Laketown differed slightly).

Plus, Thorin knows he's being hunted. When you are a king-in-exile, and you have assassins and bounty hunters after you, you do not mention your closest relations around (I have this theory that they called him Thorin 99% of the time, rather than uncle, because he told them not to reveal their kinship with him in case of prying ears). That will only serve to put a target on THEIR backs too, considering the idea is to wipe out the line of Durin, to which they're a part of and also second and third in line to the throne. When the word uncle IS mentioned, Fili says it fairly quietly amongst a cheering very loudly crowd- definitely an indication that he didn't want others to hear (for various reasons). So it doesn't surprise me that it's a lot quieter in the movie than the book.

But as for accuracy- it's pretty accurate as to the location where it was first mentioned in the book (both physical location and location chapter wise in the book). So here they were being far more true to Tolkien.

Besides, both of them resemble Thorin pretty strongly Wink Kili has his eyebrows, his glare, his coloring, his height (in fact, Thorin's got him by 2 inches or 5 cm). Fili has his hair type (not color, but wavy and thick), his nose, his breadth (muscular), and his strut, if that makes sense (they are very similar in how they walk into a room with "presence" like Fili did at Bag End). And both of their beards are very similar in shape to Thorin's (though Fili's mustache is longer, but the sides of his beard are shorter, and Kili's stubble line is exactly the same as Thorin's beard line), and Fili has blue eyes as well. They don't look much alike as brothers (though their closeness and proximity and interactions with each other would definitely indicate that) but they both look like Thorin.

And also- both of their costumes greatly resemble Thorin's in style, and when escaping the dungeons in Mirkwood, they all had the exact same style of tunic- MUCH different to the other's styles, only theirs were 3 different colors.

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Apr 19 2014, 4:27am)

Cirashala
Valinor

Apr 19 2014, 4:29am

Post #30 of 33 (324 views)
Shortcut
I highly doubt Bofur knew where it was [In reply to] Can't Post

He was running erratically all over the place- even sniffing plants on windowsills (which was a GREAT nod to the fragrant qualities of athelas from the books Smile). If he had known where they were, I doubt he would have been looking at windowsill plants.

Cirashala
Valinor

Apr 19 2014, 5:26am

Post #31 of 33 (325 views)
Shortcut
I have a feeling [In reply to] Can't Post

that Thorin, and Fili, and Kili, trusted all the dwarves in the company (and now Bilbo) with their lives. And it is never mentioned whether it's poison or not in the film to the dwarves, so he has a mysterious illness that's making him extremely ill, and they don't know what to do other than to lower his fever.

Fili was sponging him down on his forehead in the shot where Bofur says, "Don't move!" (a rather dumb comment, given the situation, but they were all pretty flustered). So Fili was already doing a task to accomplish the goal when Bofur took off to find it. And Oin I believe was still trying to do his healer stuff (It almost looks like he keeps trying to examine the wound, but can't because Kili keeps flailing). Water on a feverish person's head can help lower a fever, so it may well be that Bofur went because Fili was already busy trying to get the fever down in the only way they had til the athelas was found.

Arandir
Gondor

Apr 19 2014, 7:12pm

Post #32 of 33 (318 views)
Shortcut
Still doesn't justify the lack of Fili [In reply to] Can't Post

Movies aren't shot in chronological order

Definitely. And you are right in stating that although approx 6 weeks had passed when Kazinsky left, they could have shot scenes from all 3 movies.

Nevertheless, we're talking about the other 7 or 8 other months the production took to finish shooting (including 2 months from last year's pick-ups).

We're always told that scenes are continuously being re-written to cater for changes and make the films more coherent. If there was a lack of O'Gorman in certain key scenes Kazinsky had shot, I'm sure they could easily have rearranged something - even if it was assigned to second or splinter unit.

I can't really say what can or should have been done since I (alas!) wasn't on the production.Wink

But it's still quite inexcusable that we didn't get enough Fili in the two films so far ...

If there was originally more Fili to be shown on screen, but PJ had to cut out many scenes due to Kazinsky's clear presence, that would be rather ridiculous ... and unfair, to be honest Crazy

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

(This post was edited by Arandir on Apr 19 2014, 7:16pm)

HeWhoArisesinMight
Rivendell

Apr 20 2014, 1:15am

Post #33 of 33 (306 views)
Shortcut
The bigger problem to me is... [In reply to] Can't Post

That Fili, Kili and Thorin do not look much like dwarves. I guess to get the "hero" angle over more, Thorin has to resemble a human (this is for movie purposes, not book). Same with "love interest" angle with Kili. Of the three, Fili looks the least human.

When compared to Gimli (and Gloin), the others look even less dwarf-like.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.