The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Beowulf (again)

geordie
Tol Eressea

Apr 12 2014, 6:13pm

Post #1 of 9 (218 views)
Shortcut
Beowulf (again) Can't Post

There's a link on the home page to an article by one Mabel Slattery about why Tolkien's translation of Beowulf is such a great thing. Here's a quote:

“So…” my detractors yell, (the placard waving getting more and more animated), “…if it is so great why hasn’t it been published before?” The answer is that until 2003 we simply did not have it. It was found in the dark recesses of the Bodleian Library, which is like the big storage space at the end of the first Indiana Jones film, but for books. The ten year wait has been the editing by Tolkien’s son.

Tolkien's translation wasn't 'found' - it wasn't lost. The Bodleaian Library hasn't stuff lying in dark recesses; Tolkien's Beowulf papers are catalogued and have shelf numbers. There really is no resemblance to an Indiana Jones movie.

I think this idea came about from newspaper reports about Prof. Michael Drout's involvement, some ten years back. I do wish folk would let it go!

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 12 2014, 6:22pm

Post #2 of 9 (143 views)
Shortcut
That's annoying [In reply to] Can't Post

For the record, Prof. Drout recently posted the true story on his blog:
Tolkien's Beowulf: The Real Story

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

geordie
Tol Eressea

Apr 12 2014, 6:50pm

Post #3 of 9 (139 views)
Shortcut
yes, I saw that - [In reply to] Can't Post

- I wonder why this article has appeared on the front page after Dr. Drout cleared that up? ah, well..

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 12 2014, 7:12pm

Post #4 of 9 (132 views)
Shortcut
posting here communicates to Message Board members [In reply to] Can't Post

commenting on the article will communicate to people reading the article on the Home Page.

finding and clicking on the name of the TORn staff member who posted the article for the Home Page will communicate to him.

just fyi in case you wanted a larger audience for your 'wish'.

I can tell you that neither Slattery nor Demosthenos will see your comment here. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

geordie
Tol Eressea

Apr 12 2014, 7:22pm

Post #5 of 9 (125 views)
Shortcut
thanks, Magpie [In reply to] Can't Post

- the Home page article says, 'Comments closed'. I'll try messaging Demosthenos.

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 12 2014, 7:44pm

Post #6 of 9 (120 views)
Shortcut
ah, interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Demos must have set it that way. I don't think a mod did. (since I'm one of the home page mods!) Usually when we do it it's because things have gotten too contentious and so you'll see posts already there. I also think when we do it, it looks different.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Apr 12 2014, 8:11pm

Post #7 of 9 (106 views)
Shortcut
I figured you had [In reply to] Can't Post

But I wanted to post it for the benefit of others (particularly since I can't comment in response to the home page article).

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

demnation
Rohan

Apr 13 2014, 12:15am

Post #8 of 9 (98 views)
Shortcut
I seemed to have missed that [In reply to] Can't Post

I was too busy rolling my eyes at "Don't kill me Tolkien fans because I don't like LOTR!" I think most of us will get over it, surely. Anyway, especially annoying since Prof. Drout has tried to get the true word out about this.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

geordie
Tol Eressea

Apr 13 2014, 2:36pm

Post #9 of 9 (76 views)
Shortcut
Funnily enough [In reply to] Can't Post

Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull had the opportunity to crow about 'discovering' Tolkien's Clarendon Chaucer. Up till their researches for their two-volume 'JRR Tolkien: A Companion and Guide', virtually no-one had heard of it before.

But of course they didn't 'discover' it; any more than Drout 'discovered' Tolkien's Beowulf translation. As Wayne & Christina know, and Drout discovered, a loose word can go a long way. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.