The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Not sure where to put is

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 11 2014, 10:31pm

Post #1 of 11 (429 views)
Shortcut
Not sure where to put is Can't Post

This has been bugging me for a long time. I own the book linked in this picture, (it was given to me by a friend several years ago). For any who have it there is a picture on page 156 which shows an unseen still from ROTK in the houses of healing and shows the healing of Faramir. However this seems to be the only place I have found this picture and it has been the cause of confusion for me. Was this scene actually filmed? And if so why was it not included in the movie but included in this book? Just hoping someone can explain this...

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Trilogy-Photo-Guide/dp/0007198949

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 11 2014, 10:47pm

Post #2 of 11 (273 views)
Shortcut
There are a lot of cut scenes that have shown up in various books and advertising for the movies [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure which picture you're talking about (I don't own the photo guide) but yes, the scene with Aragorn healing Faramir was filmed. I forget, I think a brief version of it was included with the EE?

As for why it was included in the book and not the movie, I get the impression that many of these books were finished before the film was finished being cut so as to get them onto shelves before the movie hit theaters. Since PJ changed his mind on some things so late during the cutting process that led to a lot of images sneaking into the tie-in books that maybe shouldn't have.

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 11 2014, 11:33pm

Post #3 of 11 (256 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for replying. I assumed it was something like this. [In reply to] Can't Post

However I am still curious about one thing. Was this scene actually filmed? And if so where is it?

Nira
Lorien

Apr 12 2014, 1:12am

Post #4 of 11 (252 views)
Shortcut
Without knowing what the picture looks like... [In reply to] Can't Post

how can anyone that doesn't own the book answer your question? Can you post a pic of the pic or something? That scene is in the movie...I don't understand your question.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

(This post was edited by Nira on Apr 12 2014, 1:13am)

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 12 2014, 1:27am

Post #5 of 11 (266 views)
Shortcut
you might be interested in gramma's photo album of unused scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

http://s729.photobucket.com/...view=grid&page=1

you might even find the image you're talking about.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 12 2014, 1:51am

Post #6 of 11 (251 views)
Shortcut
Still in the vault, presumably. [In reply to] Can't Post

There were a lot of scenes filmed that didn't make it even into the EE, for various reasons. They had to cut for time and pacing for the Theatricals, and the Extended gave them room to expand, but some things are left out because they belong to a story thread they cut entirely, they seemed redundant with something else that was included, or they simply made the movie feel draggy or disjointed. Or they just weren't needed - for instance, there were several "travel montage" sort of shots that showed up in early trailers or promotional material that never got used in the films, obviously because they had edited the travel sequence so that it worked how they wanted, and they didn't need everything they'd shot. My avatar is one of those.

A lot of us are hoping for a super-duper massive Everything Box Set someday which would include a bunch of the deleted scenes (not re-inserted scenes like the EE) as well as the blooper reels in the extras. High on my wish list of deleted scenes is Faramir and Eowyn's wedding. I can see why they left it out - they already had Aragorn/Arwen and Sam/Rosie and another wedding would have been too many, considering how many endings the wrapping up was already needing - but I want to see it someday.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Apr 12 2014, 2:31am

Post #7 of 11 (249 views)
Shortcut
It was filmed [In reply to] Can't Post

From Gramma's album http://s729.photobucket.com/...76023664536836436334 It was cut out.

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 12 2014, 3:28am

Post #8 of 11 (254 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is it! I found it under Faramir house of healing on there. Sorry I cant post it.

demnation
Rohan

Apr 13 2014, 12:29am

Post #9 of 11 (230 views)
Shortcut
For what it is worth PJ has said [In reply to] Can't Post

in the commentaries that he hopes for a super expanded set for a 20th anniversary or something that might include all of these little scenes.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Apr 15 2014, 3:08pm

Post #10 of 11 (167 views)
Shortcut
I think this is the picture to which you are referring [In reply to] Can't Post

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/1617/823/320/ioreth.jpg
Follow the link in case my copy-paste job failed. I've seen this too and yes it was filmed but in what context I'm not entirely sure. The still has been manipulated so much I don't know what the original looked like. I too have heard rumor of a boxed complete set of movies full of outtakes and deleted scenes. I for one am hoping to see the Galadriel/Arwen scene, Eomer with his spear, Aragorn healing Faramir, and a bunch of other crap we've never seen before!

"The Road goes ever on..."

Writing Bliss

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 15 2014, 6:01pm

Post #11 of 11 (188 views)
Shortcut
Yes this exactly it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am still really hoping we will see this one day.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.