The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A prediction & a worry in TABA {spoilerage}

tarasaurus
Rohan

Apr 11 2014, 6:49am

Post #1 of 8 (897 views)
Shortcut
A prediction & a worry in TABA {spoilerage} Can't Post

It's been a while since I last posted! I'm usually not one to worry about the Hobbit films personally, but I had a couple thoughts whilst watching the blu ray the other day.

What if Fili and Kili meet their end in Laketown as Smaug sets the place ablaze? I'm all for changes usually, but this change would really upset me. I hope they make their deaths nearly as meaningful as Thorin's and not separate.

And my prediction is, I get the feeling when Kili dies, and if Tauriel survives, she will return his runestone back to his mother.

I apologize if these have ever been touched on before - any thoughts?

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 11 2014, 7:23am

Post #2 of 8 (505 views)
Shortcut
I guess we will see the runestone again. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I do not think they will die in Lake-town.

I think PJ, FW and PB placed them there to build on the rift between the dwarves. This rift is strongest if played between the uncle and his nephews imho.

They build up that conflict nicely until now, imho.

We see the very loyal and admiring nephews in AUJ... the only thing we can see is that sometimes their youthfulness clashes with Thorin very serious sense for destiny, honor and duty.

In DoS this starts to degenerate, especially when the two brothers realize that - while Thorin worked all these years to keep his kin alive and well in the Blue Mountains - now the chance to get his birthright back is the most important aspect of his journey. Much more personal and ego-centric than in the beginning.

The last three steps will be Thorin not caring for the fate of Esgaroth, then Thorin risking a war with Elves and Men, then Thorin breaking his relationship with Bilbo.

I am sure especially for Kili the apsect of Thorin rsiking a war will be most upsetting (and probably for all the dwarves who witnessed both Tauriel healing their friend and the slaughter Smaug caused afterwards).

In the end they will probably remember what he has done for them and hope that he is - mentally - not fully gone, yet. And therefore not leve his side.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Arandir
Gondor

Apr 11 2014, 3:47pm

Post #3 of 8 (353 views)
Shortcut
Correct me if I'm wrong but ... (images) [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand your fear and I defintely want to see the brothers standing alongside their uncle (as per the book).

I believe that they may actually end up together and fight in the BoFA due to their armour.

Remember the scroll banner for DoS?

This one

Kili and Fili appear to be wearing different armour - not seen anywhere in either AUJ nor DoS; not even after being accepted by the people of Lake-town. Indeed, they don't appear with that kind of armour in any scene in Film 2 (which makes me wonder why they would advertize them like that).

However, Fili seems to be wearing the same armour as in this image, here. Not sure where this is taken from, but it seems to point towards the scene when the dwarves dress up in armour from the treasure.

(Richard Armitage had stated that it would be the "mother of all dwarf armour" - or something along those lines. And from the little we can see from the images, they look pretty amazing).

Long story short, I think the dwarves in Lake-town will find themselves with the rest, early in Film 3.Smile

How this will happen is one of the questions that is bugging me the most!Crazy

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

(This post was edited by Arandir on Apr 11 2014, 3:48pm)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2014, 3:52pm

Post #4 of 8 (310 views)
Shortcut
Not worried at all [In reply to] Can't Post

William Kircher said in an interview on TORn Tuesday that he played a prank on Aidan Turner when they filmed the scene where the dwarves charge out of Erebor during BO5A. That's confirmation enough for me that Kili and Fili won't die in Laketown.

"So I will call upon Your name
And keep my eyes above the waves
When oceans rise
My soul will rest in Your embrace
For I am Yours and You are mine"
--Hillsong United

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Apr 11 2014, 4:40pm

Post #5 of 8 (321 views)
Shortcut
Dean O'Gorman [In reply to] Can't Post

...and I think Aidan, too, have talked about filming the Battle of Five Armies...so they'll definitely be there Smile

keep smiling Smile

Wauntaun
The Shire

Apr 12 2014, 9:54am

Post #6 of 8 (171 views)
Shortcut
What about Oin? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a feeling he may go down in Laketown.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 12 2014, 4:14pm

Post #7 of 8 (141 views)
Shortcut
OIN by the Book, is Killed by the Watcher in the Water... [In reply to] Can't Post

Western Gate of Moria.

He joined Ori & Balin in an
Attempt to take back Moria back
After the Bo5A.

Really don't feel
PJ will let him die here.
Gloin would be devastated...

There will be ENOUGH
Death &
Destruction without Killing a
Dwarve.

Bomby predicts
the Mayor
WILL get FRYED!

The BAD guys
ALWAYS die a Horrible Death.

Rickster
Rohan

Apr 14 2014, 11:10pm

Post #8 of 8 (92 views)
Shortcut
don't worry [In reply to] Can't Post

It will be fantastic

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.