The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Tolkien's prose style

demnation
Rohan

Apr 11 2014, 12:57am

Post #1 of 14 (687 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien's prose style Can't Post

What is your general assessment of Tolkien's writing, quality wise? He's a bit difficult to pin down as a writer, I suppose, since he has proven himself to be quite skilled (and quite unskilled) in many different styles. I'd say LOTR alone has about four or five different, prevalent styles in it, depending on who is being written about (Men, Hobbits, Elves, Etc. all get a different "feeling") I guess I haven't thought about it too much, since I generally find him to be highly readable. He could use some editing, I suppose. But lots of great writers could use some editing (James Joyce and even my beloved Jane Austen.) But I suppose trying to look for objective answers in an area where subjective taste rules is a bit futile.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 11 2014, 3:04am

Post #2 of 14 (549 views)
Shortcut
We wouldn't be here if [In reply to] Can't Post

we didn't love his style(s).

Did you ever notice his use of parentheses and dashes in The Hobbit?

The first two pages of the Unexpected Party have 9 parentheses and 5 dashes. It does make for interesting (almost comical in a way) reading, but it also seems that one could be switched for the other on occasion. (Interesting) Smile

>>>>THIS SPACE FOR HIRE<<<<
Contact Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole #14, Bywater Pool Road

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 11 2014, 10:30am

Post #3 of 14 (534 views)
Shortcut
My opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien's style is rather heterogeneous indeed. And I do agree with your notion that the differences in his style are largely dependent of whom it is Tolkien is currently writing about - a trait, I imagine, some readers like, while others not so much. I myself find it quite enjoyable, clever even. (Would anyone happen to know whether it was a cognizant choice made by Tolkien or rather "an unconscious" one?)
All and all, I find Tolkien a quality author in terms of style (especially among genre fictions authors) and his works a pleasant, not too easy nor too hard of a read.

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Apr 11 2014, 11:56am

Post #4 of 14 (529 views)
Shortcut
He is generally considered as the creator of Fantasy [In reply to] Can't Post

so everyone who approaches his books expecting to read an action book (or at least, action-oriented) will be disappointed and will find him difficult to read.

He always enjoys describing nature, or clothing, jewels, armours, with an exquisite eye for detail and an extremely rich choice of vocabulary (eyot, carcanet... these are the very first ones that spring to my mind).

So he describes a quest with a lot of characters, a lot of story-lines and a lot of different situations in a prose-style which is rather unique: I would define it descriptive and conversational, both adjectives seldom associated with adventure stories.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 11 2014, 3:18pm

Post #5 of 14 (491 views)
Shortcut
"Creator of Fantasy" is over-stating things a bit. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien can be considered the father of modern epic-fantasy, partly because of the many fantasy tropes that he popularized and partly because of the oft-copied trilogy structure that was imposed on The Lord of the Rings by his publisher. There was plenty of other fantasy found in the pulp magazines at the same time that Tolkien's works were being published, from the occult horror of H.P. Lovecraft to the swords-and-sorcery of Robert E. Howard.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Gimloid
The Shire

Apr 11 2014, 4:18pm

Post #6 of 14 (501 views)
Shortcut
Elegant [In reply to] Can't Post

I particularly like the way he uses very sparse descriptions which nevertheless induce a very complete picture of whatever he's describing. Often it is not even obvious that the descriptions are sparse; the mental images spring into such clear view that it seems as if he has said a lot more about whatever it is than he actually has, and it's only on re-reading the passage in an analytical frame of mind that it becomes apparent how little he really said. It is very elegant, in the sense that a mathematical proof or an engineering design can be elegant.

I think Bracegirdle's point about Tolkien's use of punctuation is connected with this. Well-thought-out use of punctuation can make a great difference to the feel of a passage, nearly as much as the choice of words. It seems to be an art little regarded these days and I do find it noticeable how much better Tolkien's punctuation is than that of many authors.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 11 2014, 5:15pm

Post #7 of 14 (482 views)
Shortcut
Excellent observation! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I particularly like the way he uses very sparse descriptions which nevertheless induce a very complete picture of whatever he's describing. Often it is not even obvious that the descriptions are sparse; the mental images spring into such clear view that it seems as if he has said a lot more about whatever it is than he actually has, and it's only on re-reading the passage in an analytical frame of mind that it becomes apparent how little he really said. It is very elegant, in the sense that a mathematical proof or an engineering design can be elegant.

Less is more!

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Apr 11 2014, 5:18pm)

MirielCelebel
Rivendell

Apr 12 2014, 1:58am

Post #8 of 14 (462 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien has a very unique writing style [In reply to] Can't Post

but he created a hard transition between the Hobbit and LOTR. The children's story feel vanished and the epic emerged. I love Tolkien's attention to detail. He paints such a vivid written picture of his world and its so wonderful to experience.

"The Road goes ever on..."

Writing Bliss

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Apr 12 2014, 2:52am

Post #9 of 14 (458 views)
Shortcut
Yes, the differences in style [In reply to] Can't Post

are deliberate for the most part, from what I've read. I find this and his attention to detail and the time all this must of taken to be astounding, even though there are a few places where I don't personally like the change in style. I can always appreciate it for the intent, though.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Apr 12 2014, 2:58am

Post #10 of 14 (452 views)
Shortcut
Matter of taste [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a matter of taste as different people like different types of writing. I agree that being here, in the Reading Room especially, means we like Tolkien's writing, to say the least. I just happen to prefer descriptive writing when it's done well and is backed up by a deeper story, thought and meaning, and to me Tolkien's writing is precisely that kind. I'm not a fan of more action like writing although I have such favorite books here and there too. To assess Tolkien sounds a bit strange to me... I mean he is Tolkien and... well, that says it all, IMO. He's kept me interested for about 25 years. That's a lot.

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 12 2014, 8:59am

Post #11 of 14 (461 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for clearing that up! // [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 13 2014, 8:01am

Post #12 of 14 (435 views)
Shortcut
Character voice [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Tolkien's style is rather heterogeneous indeed. And I do agree with your notion that the differences in his style are largely dependent of whom it is Tolkien is currently writing about - a trait, I imagine, some readers like, while others not so much. I myself find it quite enjoyable, clever even. (Would anyone happen to know whether it was a cognizant choice made by Tolkien or rather "an unconscious" one?)

I'm not sure that has a simple answer, because I think the writers often find that they have got to the point where they can "hear" a character's speech. They now know without much conscious effort how a character would express him- or herself. But that might follow a long period of coming to understand the character. which might require several drafts. So that blurs the cognisant/unconscious distinction, in my mind.

I was interested to read an early draft of The Council of Elrond (reproduced in HoME): everyone talks like Bilbo. It's why've stylistic contrast to the published version, with its masterly use of character voice.

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 13 2014, 9:05am

Post #13 of 14 (423 views)
Shortcut
Oh yes, indeed. // [In reply to] Can't Post

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 13 2014, 10:15pm

Post #14 of 14 (434 views)
Shortcut
Elf land, not Poughkeepsie [In reply to] Can't Post

This reminded me of a strength in Tolkien's writing which was invisible to me until I read "From Elfland to Poughkeepsie " a 1973 essay by Ursula K LeGuin (anthologised in 'The Language of the Night', The Women's Press, 1983).

Ms LeGuin notes that for a lot of fantasy, the writer wants to adopt a tone of long-ago-and-far-away. Perhaps it won't sound right if the Lords of Elfland speak like modern Americans, or modern Brits etc. Sometimes that leads to writing which sounds like the writer is trying to write in the style of the King James Bible, and is woefully failing. Thou knowest well the style of which I speak: how it clangeth on the ear, of whomsoever should read (readeth?) it.

Tolkien, however, rarely falls into that trap.

(Another revelation from this essay is the observation that it's weird how wizards speak I the subjunctive. Ah, would that I could.… )

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.