Nothing! 3 / 2%
130 total votes

Misto
Lorien

Apr 11 2014, 11:24am

Post #26 of 46 (463 views)
Shortcut
Enclosed spaces are becoming an issue, lately [In reply to] Can't Post

Sleeping in a really tight bunk bed with a wall at arm's length (on the "open" side) didn't use to be a problem. Last year I discovered, it is now. I didn't sleep very much or soundly that night. Heights never were an issue but I do realise I'm becoming a bit more wary of them. In the sense of having to consciously tell me that it's not a problem in some situations (walking a ridge with 300m of nothing on either side or other similar things nobody needs to do). Also, in the wacko department of completely irrational fears: pigeons.Crazy

(This post was edited by Misto on Apr 11 2014, 11:25am)

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 11 2014, 12:36pm

Post #27 of 46 (469 views)
Shortcut
Me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I still use a night light.

Same here. I used to be able to sleep in a dark room but now I can't because if at stare at the dark too long I start making myself see things.

Annael
Immortal

Apr 11 2014, 2:59pm

Post #28 of 46 (459 views)
Shortcut
I said heights but it doesn't stop me [In reply to] Can't Post

I've climbed mountains, walked trails where one misstep would mean a 2,000-foot plunge to my death, re-roofed houses. But my toes tingle the entire time.

I have a bit of claustrophobia too. My brother goes spelunking and his descriptions of passages where you basically have to wriggle through on your belly make me unable to breathe. Couldn't do that.

Used to be afraid of spiders, but got over it. I let them be in my house unless they happen to be a hobo spider, in which case they get trapped and moved outside, because their bite is NASTY.

Annael
Immortal

Apr 11 2014, 3:06pm

Post #29 of 46 (451 views)
Shortcut
I was watching Top Gear [In reply to] Can't Post

they were driving some supercar which had what they call a "spoiler" that would automatically rise up when the car reached a certain speed. and force the car DOWN. I learned that this was necessary because over that speed the car would actually start to fly. It would be sucked UP by the vacuum created above it by its own speed. Intellectually I know that's how airplanes fly but this really brought it home to me. The art of landing a plane is not just bringing it back down to earth but getting the speed to drop enough at the right moment so that the plane stops wanting to go UP.

I don't know if that helps you but it helped me. So did hypnosis. I used to fear flying & now I love it.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Apr 11 2014, 4:26pm

Post #30 of 46 (451 views)
Shortcut
My worst nightmares [In reply to] Can't Post

have been about my children, mostly drowning. I think I have had the same dreams about each of them at separate times.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 11 2014, 4:29pm

Post #31 of 46 (448 views)
Shortcut
I had a bad scare in an elevator myself [In reply to] Can't Post

I got into an elevator once that wouldn't let me out. It went up and down to several floors but never opened the doors for me now matter what buttons I pushed. Then it rocked back and forth for a while and dropped about a half a floor before letting me out back where I'd started.

I warned the people waiting not to take it that one, but several people got on anyway. I've always wondered if that elevator behaved itself for them.

I'm sure that this has nothing to do with my fears, though, right? Angelic

macfalk
Valinor

Apr 13 2014, 8:13am

Post #32 of 46 (427 views)
Shortcut
Wasps. [In reply to] Can't Post

My phobia for wasps originated from when I was six years old, the class took a trip out to the countryside and we were served sandwiches with ham. Well, inside my sandwich there was a wasp, and as I took a bite the wasp stung me right on my tongue (and stayed there! It got stuck, so I had to pull it out myself and toss it away...ugh. And it was huge! Then again this was more than 16 years ago so my memory might be a bit fuzzy.) Ever since, I don't like eating outside anymore because of all the wasps here during the summer. I've got stung several times since, like probably everyone else, but having a wasp flying around inside your mouth at age 6 did it for me. Exterminate the wasps, I say! Evil

Luckily I don't have an allergy for them, but I know some who do and if this would have happened to them, the outcome could have been severe.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Apr 13 2014, 8:16am)

macfalk
Valinor

Apr 13 2014, 8:23am

Post #33 of 46 (422 views)
Shortcut
Sign me up on that list! [In reply to] Can't Post

The idea of me dancing terrifies the living daylights out of me Crazy

(This post was edited by macfalk on Apr 13 2014, 8:23am)

Annael
Immortal

Apr 13 2014, 2:26pm

Post #34 of 46 (431 views)
Shortcut
cats know [In reply to] Can't Post

they always go RIGHT for the person who is allergic or otherwise does not want them around. Perverse creatures. I enjoy them myself, but I'm well aware that they have an evil streak. The whole toying-with-prey thing, maybe.

Annael
Immortal

Apr 13 2014, 2:33pm

Post #35 of 46 (422 views)
Shortcut
not for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I think my biggest fear in life, really, is not having my freedom. Hence the claustrophobia. I don't fear dying. I don't want to die right just yet, of course, I still have things to accomplish, but the idea doesn't scare me.

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 13 2014, 8:32pm

Post #36 of 46 (409 views)
Shortcut
Well, I never... [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no idea so many thought of us like that.

TongueSlyEvil

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 13 2014, 8:38pm

Post #37 of 46 (432 views)
Shortcut
Don't worry! [In reply to] Can't Post

Foxes LOVE cats. Evil

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 15 2014, 6:39am

Post #38 of 46 (390 views)
Shortcut
I'd better watch my back! ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 1:53pm

Post #39 of 46 (380 views)
Shortcut
Things falling on me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't mind heights, or various creepy-crawlies, or dying in general (I can think of a fair number of ways to go that I would really rather not experience, but I don't actively fear them). But I really don't like the idea of things falling on me and trapping me. Cave ceilings, unstable buildings, whatever.

More seriously, I'm terrified of not being in my right mind and not knowing what I'm doing. That one probably comes from getting a concussion and remembering very little of what I did during that time. Imagination always makes these things worse.

RangerLady23
Lorien

Apr 16 2014, 5:12pm

Post #40 of 46 (373 views)
Shortcut
Spiders!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am petrified. I see one or have it come near me and I just freeze. Then I burst into tears. Maybe I am a wimp, but I am terrified of them Unsure

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Apr 18 2014, 1:19am

Post #41 of 46 (371 views)
Shortcut
Spiders. We used to find Black Widows in our house in California, and I [In reply to] Can't Post

found a really big one on my pillow right here in Ohio last summer. Don't like them, they are killers.

I used to fly back in the day when it was cheap and safe and fun. I have found that I have no desire or intention to ever fly again.

I have been alone for the past few years now. Sometimes I fear that I will be alone for the rest of my life. This does not sit well with me. I try to count my blessings every day and believe that something could happen at any moment to change this.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Apr 18 2014, 1:49am

Post #42 of 46 (365 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is my biggest fear too. Wasps, hornets, yellow jackets - all the nasty, ugly-looking bugs that fly and sting people. I find it hard to concentrate on anything else if I am trapped in a room with one (as sometimes used to happen on a warm day at school...)

I also have a mild fear of heights. It has not stopped me from climbing trees, hiking on exposed, steep trails, doing rope courses, etc. but I am always nervous when I know I am very high up. Even when driving over bridges.

Oddly, though, I am not afraid of flying. I think that's a matter of having done it a fair amount, and understanding the physics.

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 18 2014, 3:46am

Post #43 of 46 (352 views)
Shortcut
That's not at all unusual. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I also have a mild fear of heights. It has not stopped me from climbing trees, hiking on exposed, steep trails, doing rope courses, etc. but I am always nervous when I know I am very high up. Even when driving over bridges.

Oddly, though, I am not afraid of flying. I think that's a matter of having done it a fair amount, and understanding the physics.

Many pilots have a mild fear of heights, including me, but as long as we know we're not going to fall out of the airplane, it doesn't bother us at all in flight.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Apr 18 2014, 3:16pm

Post #44 of 46 (355 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I understand that... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a bit strange. I don't fear heights (too muchLaugh), nor do I fear high speeds. Put them together, however, and it makes roller-coasters my bane.

ryouko
Lorien

Apr 19 2014, 12:10am

Post #45 of 46 (331 views)
Shortcut
Heights [In reply to] Can't Post

I try to fight it, but if there is any chance that I could fall, I panic.

I remember one time, I went to Vegas and went up to the top of the Stratosphere. The window have a different design there. There are regular windows, then windows angled above and below. The ones angles above didn't bother me, but the ones angled under freaked me out!! I had a the paranoid fear that I'd trip and fall onto those windows below and they would break. I can't lean on bridge railings for the same reason. I have the unreasonable fear that the railing will give way and I won't be able to stop myself from falling. Unimpressed

(This post was edited by ryouko on Apr 19 2014, 12:23am)

Rhovandír
The Shire

Apr 27 2014, 4:30am

Post #46 of 46 (331 views)
Shortcut
A long list [In reply to] Can't Post

Spiders - If I find one in my home I tend to keep looking for it untill I have caught it and put it in a bottle of some sort and release it again some bloks away. So I guess ts more of a I-dont-mind-them-as-long-they-are-not-on-my-territory kind of thing.

Enclosed spaces
Sterile areas, that include dentists, doctors, hospitals, vets. I have a lot of bad experiences that includes all that, most of them being tons of operations from I was a baby. I can be there but only if I feel really bad or if it really is neccesary. But it does give me coldsweath.
Injections and watching myself or others getting injections or bloodsamples taken.
Also I have a fear of throwing up.. [ Which I have to face 3 times on a daily basis as I am on medication and the pills makes me sick. [ Nausea ] ]

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.