The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Anyone picked up the 2-disc DVD?

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Apr 10 2014, 3:46am

Post #1 of 6 (643 views)
Shortcut
Anyone picked up the 2-disc DVD? Can't Post

My husband paid for the digital copy on Amazon, and I've got to say I'm disappointed in it. The streaming video has locked up 3 out of 5 times, requiring a re-start. And there's no scene selection, or menu to get to the specials. They're at the end of the download, and I have yet to watch one of them (no one else in my family watches those extra videos). So I'm thinking about buying the 2-disc DVD - yeah, I know it's dumb, but depending on what's on the 2nd disc it could be worth it. Are there production diaries, and if so how many? Does it include the two bonus features on the digital download? So many questions - info would be greatly appreciated!Cool

Noria
Gondor

Apr 10 2014, 11:59am

Post #2 of 6 (300 views)
Shortcut
I bought the North American 2 disk DVD set. [In reply to] Can't Post

The first disk has the movie and the featurette New Zealand as Middle Earth Pt. 2.

The second disk has a multipart feature showing us a day of shooting The Hobbit. I love that stuff and for me it was almost worth buying the set just for that.

Then there are the four production videos, nos. 11 to 14, which brings us up to date on those.

Also included are the I See Fire music video and various trailers for DoS and games.

I think that's all.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Apr 10 2014, 12:28pm

Post #3 of 6 (257 views)
Shortcut
I have got the European edition [In reply to] Can't Post

I have just received it!!!WinkWink

The contents are the same as Noria's.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Apr 10 2014, 10:40pm

Post #4 of 6 (170 views)
Shortcut
Nope... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I have no desire to, since I pre-ordered the 3D Blu-ray/DVD combo pack from Future Shop. I still haven't received it yet, so I checked their website for delivery times. It said that it may take 2-7 days, though I'm hoping it arrives in half that time. It also said that you have to be home to accept the delivery, so there's a good chance I'll have to pick it up at the closest post office (which is usually a drugstore about twenty minutes away). They didn't mail it until after midnight on Monday (which was technically Tuesday), so hopefully I'll get it by the end of next week. When I pre-order from my local bookstore, the mail it out on the previous Friday, so maybe I'll go back to them for the Extended Edition (even if it is the most expensive store, at least you get it on release day instead of having to wait an extra week or so). Smile

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 10 2014, 11:59pm

Post #5 of 6 (143 views)
Shortcut
You are not alone ): [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I get for thinking free shipping is a great thing. I took advantage of the TORn coupon and ordered from the Hobbit Shop, gambling. But I was sort of counting on having a marathon viewing this weekend (I WANT too, just to wallow in the glory of it all) so it remains to be seen just how addicted I am to DOS.Crazy

"Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass." - Den of Geek, The Hobbit: There & Back Again, 7 Apr 2014 - 07:07

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 11 2014, 12:08am

Post #6 of 6 (159 views)
Shortcut
I think it's great to have both if you can [In reply to] Can't Post

Who wants to spend $$$ on the same thing twice, and I'm not wild about watching stuff on a computer (I'm not hooked up yet to run stuff from the computer to the TV). But at least like when traveling you have access to your vids. I've got copies of AUJ on video and on BR, and that has been useful at times.

But the locking up part sounds like a problem, as well as the navigation ): You'd think it'd have great navigation streaming.Crazy

"Richard Armitage’s performance has been one of the best things about the new trilogy, making you believe that a hairy dwarf, so often the comedy element of the LOTR films, can be a heroic, tortured, and dangerous badass." - Den of Geek, The Hobbit: There & Back Again, 7 Apr 2014 - 07:07

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.