TORn Amateur Symposium: Abstracts for TAS 3

TORn Amateur Symposium
Bree

Apr 8 2014, 9:27pm

Post #1 of 15 (1559 views)
Shortcut
TORn Amateur Symposium: Abstracts for TAS 3 Can't Post

Greetings, TORn Brethren and Guests!

The TAS Team is thrilled to showcase these pieces in our very own Symposium, with each submission linked in some way to JRRT's world and writings. The Abstracts for each submission are below, along with the dates that the pieces will be posted here in the Reading Room.

We hope you will enjoy these writings are much as we do. In addition, comments and discussion will be, as always, welcomed. Cheers and happy reading!

Interlacing the War of the Ring
by NoWizardMe

At the end of The Fellowship of The Ring, the Fellowship breaks into groups, and is never fully re-united until after the destruction of the Ring. The action of the story is reported in a fashion called 'interlace'; following one group for a while and then weaving back in time to catch up with what the others have been doing. It is a system which Tolkien exploits for a variety of effects, and this paper offers a commentary on some of these.

Post date: Sunday, April 13th

A Musing on Elves, Dwarves, Archetypes and Favorite Characters

by Swordwhale

An Elf and a Dwarf walk into a meade hall... and find out they have something in common. A musing on Elves, Hobbits, Dwarves, Archetypes and favorite characters, who we identify with, and how the Blond Guy With the Longbow got replaced by a short guy in an earflappy hat... or not.

Post date: Tuesday, April 15th

The ‘New Man’ from Morris to Tolkien: Masculinity, Identity, and the Reinvention of Medieval Honor in Early Fantasy Literature

by Chris Larimore

In the first half of the twentieth century, many social and political changes affected individuals and societies alike; the effects of two World Wars, political shifts in ideology, and the perceptions of masculinity/femininity were called in to question, with people looking for answers outside themselves. Naturally, some members of society turned to fiction for these answers, and so it fell on a select few to bring a sense of unity, hope and purpose to the lives of their readers. In this essay, I will illustrate the different ways in which writers of fantasy literature – including William Morris JRR Tolkien, and Robert Howard – reinvented traditional honor codes, social structure and unity, in an attempt to make sense of the world as it then was.

Post date: Thursday, April 17th

Aragorn and the Weight of Lineage

by RangerLady23

This essay is based on a conversation I had on Barliman’s Chat about our favorite characters and why we liked them. I find Aragorn to be a fascinating person and really, one of Tolkien’s best written characters overall.
This essay will take you on a trip through the history of Man and discover why there really is more to Aragorn than meets the eye. I will take you through his thought process and his fears about his destiny and who he should really be.
I think you will enjoy this essay and be able to look at the character and maybe yourself, just a little differently at the end.

Post date: Saturday, April 19th

The Lessons of Prometheus in Tolkien's Legendarium

by Mim the Dwarf

In the spring of 1986 I was a senior English major at the University of Maryland, College Park campus. Deviating from my core curriculum I had the privilege to attend a class on myth-making by Dr. Verlyn Flieger, a trail blazer in the study of J.R.R. Tolkien’s work, and still a giant in matters of literary and mythical import. My TORn Amateur Symposium submission is my term paper comparing the Greek playwright Aeschylus with Tolkien, using Promethean imagery as points of comparison. My contention was that each author channelled an ancient pessimistic mythical framework to express their own more optimistic world view, and that each represented in their own epochs a prevailing concurrence within a significant portion of the populace. Score one for retentive geeks with file cabinets.

Post Date: Monday, April 21st

Fate and the Self-Fulfilling prophecy in The Children of Hurin
by Steven Umbrello

This paper demonstrates that the sorrows of Turin are not simply caused by the metaphysical powers of Morgoth's Curse, but also by the nature of the paradigm known as the self-fullfilling prophecy. It was determined that although the majority of evils that befall Turin were indeed caused by Morgoth's curse, there is at least one instance that is caused by Turin himself because of his conscious awareness of the curses existence.

Post Date: Wednesday, April 23rd

Hurin’s Stand: Applicability for an Addict

by Bow and Helm

Through a life-altering event I found myself diving into Professor Tolkien’s Middle-earth mythology. I did not expect to find words that would speak into my situation; the applicability Tolkien wrote about. In this essay I explore Tolkien’s faërie-story themes of recovery, escape, and consolation through an autobiographical tale.

Post date: Friday, April 25th

Katanagatari, Tolkien, the Untold/Unfulfilled Story, and Hope

by Rembrethil

What does a Japanese anime and Tolkien have in common? They both feature some common ideas and have provoked my mind to ponder them deeply. Presenting complicated thoughts on life, fate, history, hope, and heroism, they combined to form a train of thought that sent me on a journey to appreciate their qualities again, in both a literary and artistic sense, and also a very real, personal way.

Post Date: Sunday, April 27th

What the Well-Dressed Hobbit Is Wearing
by Katy Colby

We meet people with our eyes before we ever shake their hands, and a large part of this initial conversation is carried out by the clothing our new acquaintances wear. For anthropologists, the clothing in a grave is an important guide to the values, lifestyles, and cultures of long-dead people. Fictional characters communicate to us through their clothing just as clearly, if we know how to read the signals they are sending. Professor Tolkien gives us little description of his characters’ outfits, but what he does tell us offers clear insight into the deeply held values of the various cultures we meet in his novels. Just as important, the clothing described offers secrets about the psychological makeup of the characters themselves. This paper is only a brief overview of a few of the cultures we meet, based on what we know of the clothing they choose. I also speculate on what fibers they might work with, based on their need for protection and desire for comfort and appearance.

Post date: Tuesday, April 29th

Aragorn as the Hope of Middle-earth

by Ajgetway

The idea for my paper came from noticing the connection between the word and use of "hope" in the Lord of the Rings film trilogy and the fact that Aragorn’s name as a child in Rivendell was Estel, meaning hope. From reviewing both the books and the films, along with some outside sources, I came to the conclusion that Aragorn ultimately is the hope of Middle-Earth and you can discover it by tracing his development as a leader through his journey to the throne and help defeating Sauron.

Post date: Thursday, May 1st

(For our Authors: Watch for the Personal Message providing you with the link to review your pieces. )

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 8 2014, 9:39pm

Post #2 of 15 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Can't wait! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 9 2014, 12:28am

Post #3 of 15 (1296 views)
Shortcut
Ahh, can't wait! [In reply to] Can't Post

All of these look fantastic. Lots of diversity in the motivation of the pieces too, whether they be academically-written, or more anecdotal and personal.

A great lineup!

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 9 2014, 1:13am

Post #4 of 15 (1294 views)
Shortcut
Very exciting BlackFox! [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoy the readings! Cool Hope to see you there as well!

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room April, 2014. *The Call for Submissions is up*!

**And Rem, you are doing that CoH chapter. Don't forget. **

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 9 2014, 1:15am

Post #5 of 15 (1300 views)
Shortcut
A great spread of diversity [In reply to] Can't Post

in topics and styles! As you say Cats, a great lineup, and a lot of wonderful writing. Cool

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room April, 2014. *The Call for Submissions is up*!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 9 2014, 9:40am

Post #6 of 15 (1284 views)
Shortcut
I most certainly will! [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, I found these boards when I came to read the papers of the first TORn Amateur Symposium. It has a special place in my heart.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Apr 9 2014, 9:47am

Post #7 of 15 (1279 views)
Shortcut
The TAS: something a cat and a fox agree about? :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

"… ever let your aim be to come at truth, not to conquer your opponent. So you never shall be at a loss in losing the argument, and gaining a new discovery.”
Arthur Martine

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 9 2014, 10:00am

Post #8 of 15 (1276 views)
Shortcut
Seems that way! ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Apr 9 2014, 3:22pm

Post #9 of 15 (1274 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm eagerly awaiting the Aragorn essays. Smile

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 9 2014, 5:09pm

Post #10 of 15 (1263 views)
Shortcut
That's wonderful BlackFox! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You know, I found these boards when I came to read the papers of the first TORn Amateur Symposium. It has a special place in my heart.

Thank you! And we are glad to have you around the place! Cool

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 9 2014, 5:10pm

Post #11 of 15 (1266 views)
Shortcut
Yes we have a good bit of Aragorn in this TAS, Simplyaven [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is always a good thing! AngelicLaugh They are a pleasure to read too.

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 9 2014, 7:44pm

Post #12 of 15 (1262 views)
Shortcut
LOL! Indeed ;) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Ethelwynn

Apr 9 2014, 10:56pm

Post #13 of 15 (1250 views)
Shortcut
These look great! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is what I call an embarrassment of riches. I've got some good tea stocked up so I can relax and enjoy these.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 10 2014, 12:00am

Post #14 of 15 (1249 views)
Shortcut
Indeed! Put the kettle on! // [In reply to] Can't Post

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Apr 10 2014, 1:53am

Post #15 of 15 (1284 views)
Shortcut
He is always a pleasure, yes. LOL Seriously, I'm sure the essays are great! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Middle earth recipes archive

I believe

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.