The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Just how insane will Thorin get?

boldog
Rohan

Apr 8 2014, 10:41am

Post #1 of 3 (418 views)
Shortcut
Just how insane will Thorin get? Can't Post

We all know what he will go through in film 3. But what i have thought, is how far pj goes with his insanity. What is the most extreme he goes? Will we see him try and kill Bilbo? Will we see the company firmly disagree with his council? (even Dwalin!) Will he become a pure prick? Will he side with evil for a bit?
These are all questions that are yet to be answered. What do you think the most extreme he will get?

And at what point will he have a change of heart? This has to be something huge, for him to turn normal again. I dont know what that'll be either....

thoughts?

I believe that Azog and Bolg are possibly the only two orcs who may be an exception to the typical evil nature of an orc. Azog had brought up his son, well enough that he actually acknowledges him as his own son. That is a first for any orc. And Bolg sets out to march upon Erebor in vengeance of his fathers death. How many orcs will Try and avenge another dead orc? Most will just forget about the dead one. This gives me hope that Orcs, have some traits of good in them, even if it is small aspects.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Apr 8 2014, 12:06pm

Post #2 of 3 (248 views)
Shortcut
I see this playing out fairly close to how it does in the book... [In reply to] Can't Post

He probably will threaten to kill Bilbo after learning what Bilbo did with the Arkenstone, and will fortify himself inside Erebor and refuse to give any of the hoard to the Men of Lake-town (who, IMO, earned their share with blood - but I know not everyone feels that way). He will then charge onto the battlefield when the Orcs arrive, or shortly thereafter. And the consequences of that have been discussed here many times before, so no need to go into detail.

He won't side with evil though. Even though Thorin's kind of an arrogant jerk, he's still noble and good and would never aid the enemy.

Arannir
Valinor

Apr 8 2014, 12:41pm

Post #3 of 3 (212 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

Threaten to kill Bilbo will come across pretty extreme anyway in moving pictures.

However, I think they will do more than show Thorin as an extreme case of "who is not with me is against me". There will be an obvious level of madness that will probably alienate a group within the dwarves, especially his nephews.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.