The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
UK DVD

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 6 2014, 1:02pm

Post #1 of 15 (759 views)
Shortcut
UK DVD Can't Post

Just to say that I have received both the steelbook (with Gandalf on the front), and the non-steelbook Blu-ray version.

I am especially pleased with the latter, which is in a holographic sleeve featuring Thorin, and the image underneath, attached to the box, is the same one, though not holographic. I was dreading seeing some other subject that I do not care for underneath the cover Mad, but am well pleased at seeing only ThorinHeart.

I am slightly less delighted with the steelbook. The front is excellent, but there are two elements that I consider undesirable on the backMad, particularly the one that is in the most prominent position. I would have loved to have seen Thranduil on his throne as a large image on the back of the steelbook instead. There are so many good pictures of him…

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Apr 6 2014, 1:24pm

Post #2 of 15 (456 views)
Shortcut
re: Thorin cover [In reply to] Can't Post

I admit I'm considering getting the 3D version over here in the US for the Thorin lenticular cover (as well as the sturdier 5 disc case). I adore the theatrical poster art (which is why I had been set on the 2D version), but something about the Thorin image is appealing for this film - considering The Desolation of Smaug is arguably his movie (as TTT was Aragorn's).

I don't have a 3D TV (and probably won't for many, many years), but it wouldn't be the first time I've future-proofed my purchase (also have the 3D versions of Prometheus, Hugo, An Unexpected Journey: Extended Edition, & Gravity).

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Apr 6 2014, 1:25pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 6 2014, 2:11pm

Post #3 of 15 (409 views)
Shortcut
I don't have a 3D TV, either [In reply to] Can't Post

I probably won't get one, because in general I do not like 3D (apart from the HFR 3D used for The Hobbit films). However, the version of the DVD with the Thorin cover contains the Blue-ray disk as well – and I do have a Blu-ray player now.

I'm not so keen on the cinema poster for DoS because I find the heads a bit disembodied. The individual images are much more punchy in my view – especially the one of Thorin. As far as I'm concerned, all three films are his, as well as Bilbo and Gandalf's, and these characters are by far the main draw to the films for me, probably because of the great acting and the way they have been portrayed in general.

In Reply To
I admit I'm considering getting the 3D version over here in the US for the Thorin lenticular cover (as well as the sturdier 5 disc case). I adore the theatrical poster art (which is why I had been set on the 2D version), but something about the Thorin image is appealing for this film - considering The Desolation of Smaug is arguably his movie (as TTT was Aragorn's).

I don't have a 3D TV (and probably won't for many, many years), but it wouldn't be the first time I've future-proofed my purchase (also have the 3D versions of Prometheus, Hugo, An Unexpected Journey: Extended Edition, & Gravity).

book Gandalf
Rohan

Apr 6 2014, 2:17pm

Post #4 of 15 (404 views)
Shortcut
3d [In reply to] Can't Post

this is madness!! you're gettting the 3d versions with no desire to watch them, and you dont even like 3d? and dont own a 3d tv!! will you buy the EE 3d bluray as well!! how many copies of this film will you buy!

its hobbit madness i tell you , hobbit madness!!

This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking-party.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 6 2014, 3:13pm

Post #5 of 15 (395 views)
Shortcut
It's my madness, and I reserve the right to indulge in it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I bought the 3D version, which also contains the Blu-ray disk that I CAN play, because I really, really wanted the version with the Thorin cover.

I will certainly buy the EE 3D and Blu-ray version if I like the production of it. In fact I will probably buy the steelbook version, as well as the ordinary DVD version, which will hopefully follow the design of the FotR DVDs to some extent, as did the DVD for AUJ in the UK.

Note that I am to a certain extent a collector, and like to have different versions of the DVDs for the Middle-Earth films if they are well designed. (I did the same for FotR.)

In Reply To
this is madness!! you're gettting the 3d versions with no desire to watch them, and you dont even like 3d? and dont own a 3d tv!! will you buy the EE 3d bluray as well!! how many copies of this film will you buy!

its hobbit madness i tell you , hobbit madness!!

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 6 2014, 5:01pm

Post #6 of 15 (368 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, thank you for making me feel less mad [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though I should have known better, I told some people at a friend's house last night that I've seen DOS 22 times, and I wish - I really, really wish - that I'd had a camera pointed at their faces at that instant. Fortunately, they are very nice people, so they didn't run away or try to medicate me! Smile

Hop to it, Radagast, we've got dark powers to sleigh.

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 6 2014, 5:10pm

Post #7 of 15 (362 views)
Shortcut
I've done the same ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I bought the 3D version, which also contains the Blu-ray disk that I CAN play, because I really, really wanted the version with the Thorin cover.

But not because of the cover, but so I can watch it in 3D if I ever/when I have the opportunity to do so. My parents have a 3D TV, so I'll take it round there's if I want to watch it in 3D.

I've got heaps of copies of the DVDs (especially for LOTR):

- 3 on VHS
- 3 Theatrical versions (+ 1 boxset + 1 blu ray combo)
- 3 Extended versions (+ 1 blu ray combo + 3 collector editions)

I just seem to acquire them. I don't even remember buying them on VHS. I've lost count of how many versions of the books I have.

Crazy

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Apr 6 2014, 5:13pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 6 2014, 5:19pm

Post #8 of 15 (358 views)
Shortcut
I haven't got that many of LotR [In reply to] Can't Post

But I certainly have one of each type (VHS, cinema edition, extended edition and Blu-ray). I've also got odd things like a National Geographic VHS (don't remember what is on it), plus promo DVDs that were given out with the Sunday Telegraph, etc.

In Reply To
I've got heaps of copies of the DVDs (especially for LOTR):

- 3 on VHS
- 3 Theatrical versions (+ 1 boxset + 1 blu ray combo)
- 3 Extended versions (+ 1 blu ray combo + 3 collector editions)

I just seem to acquire them. I don't even remember buying them on VHS. I've lost count of how many versions of the books I have.

Crazy

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 6 2014, 5:22pm

Post #9 of 15 (353 views)
Shortcut
Well done! [In reply to] Can't Post

I tend to keep quiet about the number of times I've seen the Hobbit films (c. 15 for AUJ, three for DoS). In my circle I would be considered crazy (which I probably am). I do talk to my sisters about it, though, since they are of a similar bent to me…

In Reply To
Even though I should have known better, I told some people at a friend's house last night that I've seen DOS 22 times, and I wish - I really, really wish - that I'd had a camera pointed at their faces at that instant. Fortunately, they are very nice people, so they didn't run away or try to medicate me! Smile

Dwarewien
Rohan

Apr 6 2014, 9:30pm

Post #10 of 15 (303 views)
Shortcut
I also don't have a 3D TV (yet)... [In reply to] Can't Post

but since my television's getting older, it won't be long before I get one (hopefully by my birthday), as well as a 3D Blu-ray player to go with it. I've never had a problem with 3D, and due to the fact that I've only seen DoS in 3D (11 times, to be exact), it made more sense to get this version (but the fact that Thorin's on the cover is the main reason). This won't be the only combo pack that I have, since I also bought the Limited Edition 3D Blu-ray/DVD combo pack for On Stranger Tides (the latest PotC movie that also has a lenticular cover) and a good friend of mine bought the LotR Trilogy Box Set Extended Editions on Blu-ray (which is also a combo pack, due to the fact that the bonus discs are on DVD) for me for Christmas.Smile

Far over the Misty Mountains cold
To dungeons deep and caverns old
We must away, ere break of day
To find our long-forgotten gold.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 6 2014, 10:56pm

Post #11 of 15 (300 views)
Shortcut
The Thorin cover is truly a thing of beauty… [In reply to] Can't Post

I have just been admiring the glowing gold lettering, and the way the silver in Thorin's armour is highlighted in the picture. Very nice indeed. Smile

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Apr 6 2014, 10:57pm)

Sildarion~Valenar
Bree

Apr 7 2014, 6:10am

Post #12 of 15 (276 views)
Shortcut
Have you seen the film? [In reply to] Can't Post

I know you don't like it as much as the others.
So I am interested to know if it held up better than you expected.

"War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."
~ Tolkien lets Faramir speak his own view on war and glory

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 7 2014, 10:32am

Post #13 of 15 (260 views)
Shortcut
Yes, of course I have seen DoS (3 times as opposed to 15 for AUJ). [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't be buying the DVDs if I hadn't.

I've made it clear that I don't like DoS as much as AUJ, which for me has far more 'heart', and I have already discussed this subject ad nauseum. There are notably two non-canon elements of DoS, and the accompanying comic-book action scenes, which do not appeal to me. They smack of attempting to appeal to the lowest common dominator and take away from characters that I love, and which are very well portrayed, such as Thorin, Bilbo and Gandalf, as well as key Hobbit characters such as Beorn and Thranduil.

I think that visually, around 80 per cent or more of the film is wonderful, especially when it comes to Smaug, Erebor, Laketown, Beorn's House, Mirkwood and Thranduil's Halls (far too little of these).

In Reply To
I know you don't like it as much as the others.
So I am interested to know if it held up better than you expected.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 7 2014, 10:44pm

Post #14 of 15 (208 views)
Shortcut
By the way [In reply to] Can't Post

What did you think of DoS as opposed to AUJ, and are you planning to buy the cinema edition as well as the EE?

I'd like to point out that I don't usually buy different versions of films (in fact, I rarely buy DVDs), but the M-E films are so much better to me (despite the reservations), than the on the whole instantly forgettable rubbish that is shown in cinemas. I find going to see most films a complete waste of money and time, but PJ's M-E films got to me…

AshNazg
Gondor

Apr 8 2014, 12:39pm

Post #15 of 15 (195 views)
Shortcut
May I recommend? [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a very expensive Samsung 3D TV. The picture quality is beautiful, but the 3D is very fiddly, the glasses are expensive, they have a distracting flicker and the entire viewing experience is really terrible, especially if you want to watch with friends.

My friend just got a much cheaper LG (passive) 3D TV and while the picture quality in 2D is understandably not as good, the 3D experience is hugely more enjoyable, the glasses are comfortable and light, better even than the cinema ones, they don't darken the image too dramatically and it worked without a single problem, no dizziness or headaches just a really enjoyable experience.

The only downfall of the LG passives are if you're too close the image is a lower resolution and you can see horizontal lines running through the picture. But sit a couple of metres away and the picture is almost as good as in the cinema.

I recommend if you're going for 3D to look in store and compare LG's passive 3D to the active 3D models and decide for yourself. But, with my multiple experiences over the years, I really think passive is the way to go. Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.