DVD [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't afford a Blu-ray player! Frown

Kim
Valinor

Apr 5 2014, 7:20pm

Post #4 of 24 (415 views)
Shortcut
Both and Other [In reply to] Can't Post

DVD, Blu-ray and streaming. Right now, AUJ is the only BR I have (and DOS when it gets here).

Kim
Valinor

Apr 5 2014, 7:28pm

Post #5 of 24 (424 views)
Shortcut
I got mine last year [In reply to] Can't Post

for about $80, so didn't seem too pricey. Of course, the discs themselves cost more than DVDs, so I only plan to buy really special movies on BR. So far, only TH has fit my criteria. Smile

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Apr 5 2014, 7:47pm

Post #6 of 24 (420 views)
Shortcut
Both plus [In reply to] Can't Post

I do enjoy watching on my tablet. For me, the picture seems clearer and sharper than our TV. Mr. Elf rolls his eyes at this preference, especially for epic-sized movies like The Hobbit, but I maintain it works out just fine because of the proportional correlation between how close a screen is to you and it's size. Sometimes, a movie screen is just too big. My eyes just can't take everything in. But then, I'm the type of person that wants to see EVERY detail (well, at least for ME movies.)

Dwarewien
Rohan

Apr 5 2014, 10:12pm

Post #7 of 24 (418 views)
Shortcut
I'll be upgrading soon... [In reply to] Can't Post

so I voted for both. Right now, I still watch them on DVD, but since my television's getting older (it looks like the power is going out until it warms up, which can take up to half an hour, give or take), maybe I'll even be able to upgrade by my birthday, or at the very latest, by the time the Extended Edition for DoS is released sometime before TABA hits theaters (then I'll be able to buy the 3D version instead of the DVD, but since Thorin's on the cover of the TE, I'll be keeping both, unlike last year with AUJ). It's not the Blu-ray player that the pricey item (since they can cost as much as a DVD player used to cost), but the HD television that you have to buy with it (though I'll have to get both a 3D TV and 3D Blu-ray player as well as a TV stand, since the one that I have now won't be able to support a 47' 3D HDTV, it can only support the piddly 20 incher that I have now). Maybe it's a good thing I pre-ordered the 3D Blu-ray/DVD combo pack for DoS after all.Smile

demnation
Rohan

Apr 6 2014, 12:37am

Post #8 of 24 (405 views)
Shortcut
Both (or all three) [In reply to] Can't Post

The combo packs they are now releasing are great for people like me. I have two blu-ray players, but streaming and dvd are great for on the go.

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 6 2014, 3:39am

Post #9 of 24 (390 views)
Shortcut
Ditto. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I can't afford a Blu-ray player! Frown

Elarie
Grey Havens

Apr 6 2014, 4:00am

Post #10 of 24 (403 views)
Shortcut
I use my blu-ray player [In reply to] Can't Post

but most of my disks are DVD's and I only buy blu-ray disks for extra special movies like The Hobbit.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 6 2014, 1:38pm

Post #11 of 24 (377 views)
Shortcut
Both! Gotta do both! *twitch* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Patty
Immortal

Apr 6 2014, 3:40pm

Post #12 of 24 (378 views)
Shortcut
The only things I still watch on DVD are... [In reply to] Can't Post

Things I can't watch on Blu-ray. Love, love, love that increased picture quality. Fortunately, though, the players have come down considerably in price, but for those for whom awesome picture quality can happily take a back seat, the quality of the newly released DVDs seems to have improved, too. But if you have a large screen TV, you'll still lose too much resolution unless you view on high definition.

Wish I could afford one of the new 4K TVs but that won't be happening. Tongue

Misto
Lorien

Apr 7 2014, 12:40pm

Post #13 of 24 (361 views)
Shortcut

Hey, I still have a videotape recorder. So you can guess I'm usually behind the height of technology... but just a little.Tongue
As a lover of many an old and/or arthouse film I wouldn't get far with Blu-ray format anyway. Maybe when (if?) my video/DVD combination fails me and I can find a device that does both DVD and Blu-ray I may change my mind. But until then, I'm quite happy with DVDs.

(This post was edited by Misto on Apr 7 2014, 12:41pm)

Patty
Immortal

Apr 7 2014, 1:15pm

Post #14 of 24 (357 views)
Shortcut
Blu-ray players are backwards compatible with DVD, although [In reply to] Can't Post

If you wish to up-convert the picture quality you must use HDMI cables to connect to your TV.

DVD players will not play Blu-ray, however.

The Grey Pilgrim
Lorien

Apr 7 2014, 2:12pm

Post #15 of 24 (346 views)
Shortcut
Now that I'm used to Blu-ray.. [In reply to] Can't Post

and have been for the past 6 or so years it's really hard for me to watch a lot of things standard definition. I'm just spoiled I guess Wink So Blu-ray if there is an option, and DVD when I need to! But VHS's are fun for nostalgia's sake!

Patty
Immortal

Apr 7 2014, 9:25pm

Post #16 of 24 (345 views)
Shortcut
I know! [In reply to] Can't Post

When you usually watch high definition as I do it is very hard to go back to standard. It makes it look blurry.

Misto
Lorien

Apr 8 2014, 1:16pm

Post #17 of 24 (340 views)
Shortcut
Good to know [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't even aware of that. Thank you for pointing it out!
Still, the lure of Blu-ray is pretty small, because most films that are brought out as Blu-ray (older ones, not new, obviously) aren't really up my alley anyway. Besides, how much definition do you need on a telly that's on the small side? And I'm certainly not upgrading on telly-size... I watch a DVD every other week or so and the news if I happen to be home at the appropriate time (else I watch them online) and that's about it.

Patty
Immortal

Apr 8 2014, 3:18pm

Post #18 of 24 (318 views)
Shortcut
You're right... [In reply to] Can't Post

You can definitely get away with standard def on a small screen.

Enjoy!

cats16
Half-elven

Apr 8 2014, 8:50pm

Post #19 of 24 (312 views)
Shortcut
Both [In reply to] Can't Post

I buy Blu-Ray films nowadays, but still play older DVDs on my Blu-Ray player (gotta love compatability). Wink

Patty
Immortal

Apr 9 2014, 1:16pm

Post #20 of 24 (297 views)
Shortcut
I'm curious if anybody else here bought or is buying the DoS 3D? [In reply to] Can't Post

Either for now or for future proofing?

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Apr 12 2014, 2:54am

Post #21 of 24 (297 views)
Shortcut
DVD and my laptop. // [In reply to] Can't Post

CathrineB
Rohan

Apr 14 2014, 8:49pm

Post #22 of 24 (292 views)
Shortcut
Both [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a blu/ray dvd player so if the dvd and blu ray has the same extra material I buy the dvd (Cheeper). If there's more on the blu ray I buy that if I love the movie.

I prefer dvd's though and for the longest time they were so much cheaper than the blu's so that resentment kinda lingers i guess Laugh

KingTurgon
Rohan

Apr 16 2014, 7:22pm

Post #23 of 24 (279 views)
Shortcut

I am in college and my laptop doesn't play Blu-Rays so it's a pretty easy choice for me.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Apr 28 2014, 11:50am

Post #24 of 24 (252 views)
Shortcut
Blu-ray. [In reply to] Can't Post

Made the leap a few years ago when i got a PS3 (my XBox 360 died).

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.