Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
What does RA mean by PJ being a tad "clingy"?

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 2 2014, 11:07pm

Post #1 of 11 (1377 views)
Shortcut
What does RA mean by PJ being a tad "clingy"? Can't Post

Not sure what he means by this - does he mean that LOL, PJ would love to be acting out all the parts himself, if he could? And in no way do I think any of this is a negative statement, RA obviously thinks the world of PJ and probably vice versus as actor/director relationships go. From http://www.film3sixtymagazine.com/index.php/2014/04/02/5-minutes-with-richard-armitage/
I did remember a comment once where PJ would run up to an actor and move a strand of hair away and stuff like that, which I guess can be hard if you are in the middle of a performance - but, yah know, once the film is out whatever is on tape is going to be there FOREVER. (And thanks to Heirs of Durin for the link!!!!)

Some article quotes:

F3S: Thorin seems less angry in Desolation, he seems slightly softer; can we expect another change by the time of the third film?
RA: It’s interesting, everyone has such different opinions, which I find fascinating; some people believe that he’s actually angrier in the second film than the first. I feel like there is a descent into madness in that film [The Hobbit: There and Back Again], which you just start to get the glimmer of in the second movie. One of the things I was really trying to achieve was that he isn’t a hopeless case, what is happening is beyond his control. For that, we have to forgive him, but it’s going to be interesting to see where he goes in the third film.
F3S: What are you hoping for in the third film?
RA: I think it will be, rather than a sense of loss, a big celebration. It’ll be a big party and there will be talking about all six films in the build up to the final movie and that was his intention. This is a prequel and there was once talk of a British movie but don’t I think that’s going to happen. I think there will be a lot of Middle Earth investigation at the end of this year.
F3S: What was Peter [Jackson] like to work with? He seems like such a passionate man and so involved with his work.
RA: He is. He is totally devoted to what he does and works 24/7 and would come to having this inspiration and four in the morning; he gets about 2 hours sleep and comes to work every day. He’s one of the most inspiring directors I’ve ever worked with and is very collaborative, very kind and generous and a little bit clingy which all adds to an exotic experience.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 2 2014, 11:20pm

Post #2 of 11 (846 views)
Shortcut
Also [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder what this means:

'This is a prequel and there was once talk of a British movie but don’t I think that’s going to happen. I think there will be a lot of Middle Earth investigation at the end of this year.'

Kim
Valinor

Apr 2 2014, 11:32pm

Post #3 of 11 (821 views)
Shortcut
I think there are a couple of errors in this article [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Not sure what he means by this - does he mean that LOL, PJ would love to be acting out all the parts himself, if he could? And in no way do I think any of this is a negative statement, RA obviously thinks the world of PJ and probably vice versus as actor/director relationships go. From http://www.film3sixtymagazine.com/index.php/2014/04/02/5-minutes-with-richard-armitage/
I did remember a comment once where PJ would run up to an actor and move a strand of hair away and stuff like that, which I guess can be hard if you are in the middle of a performance - but, yah know, once the film is out whatever is on tape is going to be there FOREVER. (And thanks to Heirs of Durin for the link!!!!)

Some article quotes:

F3S: Thorin seems less angry in Desolation, he seems slightly softer; can we expect another change by the time of the third film?
RA: It’s interesting, everyone has such different opinions, which I find fascinating; some people believe that he’s actually angrier in the second film than the first. I feel like there is a descent into madness in that film [The Hobbit: There and Back Again], which you just start to get the glimmer of in the second movie. One of the things I was really trying to achieve was that he isn’t a hopeless case, what is happening is beyond his control. For that, we have to forgive him, but it’s going to be interesting to see where he goes in the third film.
F3S: What are you hoping for in the third film?
RA: I think it will be, rather than a sense of loss, a big celebration. It’ll be a big party and there will be talking about all six films in the build up to the final movie and that was his intention. This is a prequel and there was once talk of a British movie but don’t I think that’s going to happen. I think there will be a lot of Middle Earth investigation at the end of this year. One of the commenters said they thought he meant "Bridge" not "British"
F3S: What was Peter [Jackson] like to work with? He seems like such a passionate man and so involved with his work.
RA: He is. He is totally devoted to what he does and works 24/7 and would come to having this inspiration and four in the morning; he gets about 2 hours sleep and comes to work every day. He’s one of the most inspiring directors I’ve ever worked with and is very collaborative, very kind and generous and a little bit clingy which all adds to an exotic experience. I thought that was an odd word too, wonder if he actually said something else.

Overall, a good article though

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=719226;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed

glor
Rohan

Apr 2 2014, 11:32pm

Post #4 of 11 (860 views)
Shortcut
There is a comment at the bottom of the article [In reply to] Can't Post

That suggests that British is a typo or someone mishearing and it should be Bridge movie..

..which makes sense in the context of the question being answered

Glorfindela
Valinor

Apr 2 2014, 11:36pm

Post #5 of 11 (786 views)
Shortcut
Aha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, that would make sense. Thank you.

In Reply To
That suggests that British is a typo or someone mishearing and it should be Bridge movie..

..which makes sense in the context of the question being answered

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 2 2014, 11:40pm

Post #6 of 11 (774 views)
Shortcut
Didn't think of that [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm - maybe it's another typo. Couldn't get a picture out of my head of PJ hanging onto Thorin's arm, which LOL I consider to be fan territory and that's for fans to do. PJ is supposed to be a magic wizard who benevolently will give TORN some lovely high resolution images of the Heirs of Durin and Thranduil for us to cry/sigh over.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Apr 3 2014, 1:54am

Post #7 of 11 (784 views)
Shortcut
"A Bit Clingy? .....To answer your question... [In reply to] Can't Post

What Richard might be implying
is that Often PJ is just
OUT of Frame?

WE have seen him mostly in his Tent?
But often when doing Close-ups
the Director is just a few feet
Away from the
Actor? Only to have
The Dialogue put in Later
in ADR...

something LIKE 90% of the LOTR
had Dialogue replacement?

Especially if it a
Complicated
Close-up

Where PJ is whispering to the Actor
Now, This,
Now That?

You have to remember,
Airplanes are flying over-Head
from Wellington's Airport?

Often in the VBlogs you see
PJ surrounded by about
4 actors Blocking & Talking "Motivation"

PJ also, has A...very expressive face,
so THERE is where some of the
Coolest stuff
Comes from..

AND, someone said PJ wanted to play every Role?

Which IS what a great DIRECTOR....
does.

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Apr 3 2014, 1:59am)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Apr 3 2014, 2:04am

Post #8 of 11 (756 views)
Shortcut
When I studied directing -- [In reply to] Can't Post

one thing we were told never to do was to demonstrate to the actor how they should embody the moment -- in other words a director should never show an actor how to act. (Choreography is something altogether different.)

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 3 2014, 6:46am

Post #9 of 11 (646 views)
Shortcut
Intense, passionate? [In reply to] Can't Post

We all know that PJ is very passionate about the film making process, especially when it comes to getting the perfect shot (take, after take, after take). "Intense" or "passionate" could replace "clingy" quite easily. He's quite expressive as well, and will walk the actors through the scene (they probably just want to get on with it!)

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Apr 3 2014, 6:47am)

Avandel
Half-elven

Apr 3 2014, 7:45pm

Post #10 of 11 (478 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that's a lot of ADR! [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember from the Appendices re Martin Freeman where PJ was talking about how he had a picture in his mind of MF playing Bilbo, but he couldn't just wind up MF and have him replicate that. So I think you are right, in that PJ must have a pretty good idea in his mind of how he wants to see things - e.g. again in the Appendices, I thought the goblins in "goblin suits" looked pretty cool, but after all that work w. the goblin actors PJ goes for mostly digital goblins.

LOL, I think that is cute when dealing with actors of the caliber of RA and MF, having PJ right there. Must be what RA meant about the last shooting days of TABA being like a "3-legged race between him and PJ, but they got there in the end".

pettytyrant101
Lorien

Apr 4 2014, 8:55am

Post #11 of 11 (438 views)
Shortcut
I always got the impression [In reply to] Can't Post

it was quite the opposite- that PJ doesn't in fact know exactly what he wants when he shoots at all- so he just shoots tons of footage, tries lots of different things out, makes lots of re-shoots and additional shoots and then makes his choices in the editing room afterwards.
A good example of this can be found in the behind the scenes for TT where he has Viggo repeat the same line half a dozen times with slight variations (but with no specific direction given- just keeps getting Viggo to do it again and again) then selects the shot he wants later.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.