The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The fox

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 2 2014, 7:15pm

Post #1 of 17 (1066 views)
Shortcut
The fox Can't Post

Remember the fox from FOTR? The one who sees Frodo, Sam and Pippin asleep in the woods on the first night of their journey from Hobbiton?

LOTR Wiki page concerning foxes reads: The most famous of the foxes approached the company of hobbits as they slept in the woods after they left the Shire. The fox thought it was very queer to see hobbits asleep in the woods. This fox seems to have possessed sentience, although it's not clear if all foxes in Middle-earth did, and this may have simply been personification. Later, the Hobbits see another fox, although it is unlikely that this is the same one they had seen in the woods. (http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Fox)

What do you make of this? Was it an ordinary fox or not? This fox here would really like to hear your thoughts on the matter. Smile

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

Elwen
Lorien

Apr 2 2014, 8:16pm

Post #2 of 17 (865 views)
Shortcut
What does the Fox say? *ducks* [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't resist.

I think it might have just been an ordinary fox. Even an ordinary fox would have noticed the strangeness of hobbits out and about in his woods, and processed that thought in some way. The phrasing of the thoughts though, is I'll grant you a bit sophisticated for an animal, but I've always taken that as a playful bit of personification on the part of the author.

As a slightly off-topic comment, I've often wondered if the fox who meets an untimely end at the hands of Bellatrix Lestrange in Half-Blood Prince is a nod to Tolkien's fox. It's just a very odd animal to choose to have wandering so close the outskirts of a village. I'll admit it's a bit of a stretch though...maybe I just see Tolkien connections everywhere. Smile

photo b46d46c9-4c74-4ab7-b020-9f8681a9c904_zps24eb4def.jpg
Even elves love a Friday Fiesta

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 2 2014, 8:26pm

Post #3 of 17 (859 views)
Shortcut
What *does* the fox say? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I couldn't resist.

I forgive you. Tongue

And here's the excerpt in case anyone's wondering what the heck it is I'm talking about:

A few creatures stopped and looked at them when the fire had died away. A fox passing through on business of his own stopped several minutes and sniffed.
’Hobbits!’ he thought ’Well what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of hobbits sleeping out of doors under a tree. Three of them! There's something mighty queer behind this.’
He was quite right, but he never found out more about it.

(The Fellowship of the Ring, Chapter 3. Three Is Company)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Apr 2 2014, 8:35pm

Post #4 of 17 (839 views)
Shortcut
To me, it's a relic [In reply to] Can't Post

There are fox fans out there that love this part, but to me, it never seems to fit, and if we were to know the inner conversations of animals in LOTR, it would make more sense to know what Shadowfax and Bill the Pony were thinking, or the Witch-king's winged stead.

But since Tolkien began LOTR as an extension of The Hobbit with the same light-hearted, children's-tale approach, it makes sense to have a gossipy fox in it, even if it seems like a Disney cartoon. (I suppose the scene with the fox singing to a rabbit and squirrel about the wonderful ways of hobbits was edited out, thank goodness!)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 2 2014, 8:38pm

Post #5 of 17 (837 views)
Shortcut
Hey, it's "the most famous of the foxes" you're talking about! [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

squire
Half-elven

Apr 2 2014, 9:28pm

Post #6 of 17 (831 views)
Shortcut
Which never made any sense, either [In reply to] Can't Post

The fox observes that of all the odd things he's heard of in the Shire, he has "seldom" heard of hobbits camping out. Yet Frodo and his friends are clearly doing something they've often done before. As Frodo says, setting out from Bag End at dusk:
‘Well, we all like walking in the dark,’ he said, ‘so let’s put some miles behind us before bed.’
And so:
‘I am so sleepy,’ [Pippin] said, ‘that soon I shall fall down on the road. Are you going to sleep on your legs? It is nearly midnight.’
‘I thought you liked walking in the dark,’ said Frodo. ‘But there is no great hurry. .... We’ll halt at the first likely spot.’
‘The wind’s in the West,’ said Sam. ‘If we get to the other side of this hill, we shall find a spot that is sheltered and snug enough, sir. There is a dry fir-wood just ahead, if I remember rightly.’ Sam knew the land well within twenty miles of Hobbiton, but that was the limit of his geography.
(LotR I.3)
Maybe not every hobbit likes camping out the way the Baggins clan does, but in this neighborhood it would seem the animals would be used to Bilbo's and Frodo's night tramps by now. I don't really mind the talking fox, since I see it as a pleasant transition figure between the Hobbit-mode of the early chapters and the LotR-mode that gradually develops. What I've never gotten is the point of the fox's remark, since it's clearly not true.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Escapist
Gondor

Apr 2 2014, 9:55pm

Post #7 of 17 (811 views)
Shortcut
I find it quite intriguing. [In reply to] Can't Post

What was his business exactly?
What strange doings had he heard about lately in those parts?

If all the world's a stage then who's writing the script?

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 2 2014, 10:28pm

Post #8 of 17 (832 views)
Shortcut
Was he sentient? [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually wrote about the Fox in writing my first Symposium paper, on Sentient Animals in the Works of J. R. R. Tolkien last year:

Does this fox exhibit unusual sentience? I’m not so sure. A fox in nature would be well aware of the habits of the other species in his territory. This fox would be aware of hobbits and their habits, and perfectly capable of being surprised when they violated expectations.

But I can't resist the temptation to refer all you newbies to the sequence of Fox footers by NZ Strider during a LotR chapter discussion about 10 years ago.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Apr 2 2014, 10:31pm

Post #9 of 17 (815 views)
Shortcut
They all like "walking in the dark." [In reply to] Can't Post

I think hobbits prefer sleeping snug in their beds.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Apr 2 2014, 10:31pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 3 2014, 2:36am

Post #10 of 17 (803 views)
Shortcut
Foxes that THINK ?? [In reply to] Can't Post

Next you know he'll be coming up with. . . .

Trees that talk Shocked

>>>>THIS SPACE FOR HIRE<<<<

Contact Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole #14, Bywater Pool Road

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 3 2014, 6:38am

Post #11 of 17 (793 views)
Shortcut
Sentient, sapient or self-aware? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the fox probably falls in to all three categories (and it's likely the same for real foxes too). The only thing restricting the fox is the lack of verbal communication, and as such, how can one determine it's level of sentience, sapience and self-awareness? There's no way of telling if the fox was a personification of the narration, or if Tolkien did intend the fox to be sentient. From a storytelling perspective, it's clear that Tolkien was just carrying on the whimsical charm from The Hobbit.

Why did Tolkien chose a fox? Why not a rabbit, a bird or a hedgehog? I don't have a definitive answer for it, but Google offers some interesting possibilities. In history, the fox is usually associated as a symbol of strategy and cunningness; but Celts believed foxes were clever and wise. In Japan foxes were thought to ward off evil (NZ Strider would approve!), while in China foxes were thought to be inhabited by the spirits of the dead. I can imagine Tolkien knowing at least some of the symbolism of foxes. Is the fox supposed to reflect the Hobbits, or Frodo?

Foxes are quick to act, swift and cunning. All the things needed by Frodo (and the rest of the Fellowship) to destroy the Ring. Could the fox reflect their impending call to action, and the adaptability and ability they will need to quickly move through obstacles on their long journey to Rivendell/Mordor? (The fox is known for sneaking into homes and getting away without being caught, just like Frodo and Sam do in Mordor).

sador
Half-elven

Apr 3 2014, 7:35am

Post #12 of 17 (770 views)
Shortcut
A fox by nature - [In reply to] Can't Post

But. like Tolstoy, "a hedgehog in conviction"?

This was published shortly before The Fellowship of the Ring.

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Apr 3 2014, 8:42am

Post #13 of 17 (775 views)
Shortcut
Going for Farmer Cotton's chickens! [In reply to] Can't Post

Gimloid
The Shire

Apr 3 2014, 5:08pm

Post #14 of 17 (768 views)
Shortcut
Vulpine intelligence [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As a slightly off-topic comment, I've often wondered if the fox who meets an untimely end at the hands of Bellatrix Lestrange in Half-Blood Prince is a nod to Tolkien's fox. It's just a very odd animal to choose to have wandering so close the outskirts of a village.

Oh, not at all. Foxes are scavengers, and human habitations are excellent places to scavenge. There are more foxes living in cities these days than there are in the countryside - lots of food available, and no self-aggrandising barbarians on horseback, nor people who can't learn that guns should never be discharged at living targets. Human habitations also often provide a source of prey which is conveniently caged up and cannot escape. They are rather attractive to foxes! (Note: I haven't read any Harry Potter so this excludes the possibility that "odd" makes more sense in an HP context.)

As for the fox that is puzzled by the hobbits - that always seemed entirely natural to me. Foxes are intelligent, both by reputation in folklore and as a scientific fact; they are something like an intelligent dog that moves and hunts like a cat. The fox's thoughts are pretty much what a fox would think in the circumstances, it seems to me, and their presentation in coherent English sentences is in keeping with the largely whimsical tone that the book has not yet dropped. I don't think it indicates that the fox has any particular level of sentience beyond that which one would expect of any fox.

Another point is that ability of "non-special" animals in LOTR to communicate in a human-like manner seems to depend on the person they are communicating with having the ability to understand them, rather than the animal itself having any unusual characteristics. Radagast, for example, can communicate with common-or-garden beasts and birds and ask them to gather and report information in much the same way as human scouts and spies, and there are many instances of characters fearing that animals may be performing such a function on behalf of the Enemy. This would not be possible if the animals did not have a more complex intelligence than their counterparts on Earth, and the fox's thoughts fit the same pattern.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 4 2014, 2:18am

Post #15 of 17 (767 views)
Shortcut
This might be a bit meta for a Friday, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
if we were to know the inner conversations of animals in LOTR, it would make more sense to know what Shadowfax and Bill the Pony were thinking, or the Witch-king's winged stead.

I know that the fox is an example of LOTR's changing tone from the start of FOTR to probably the forming of the Fellowship.

This shift in tone matches Frodo's greater worldliness, in being *aware* of the world, its dangers and machinations. Children have the ability to the heart of things clearly and notice things that adults don't see, and as we get older we lose that wide-eyed wonderment.

Similarly, I can see how all of the animals in LOTR *can* think loudly the way the fox does, but as we follow Frodo's journey and the marring of his hobbity soul we (through the author) are no longer able to be aware of them.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dik-dik
Lorien

Apr 7 2014, 7:53am

Post #16 of 17 (708 views)
Shortcut
My bet is on personification. [In reply to] Can't Post

The book is supposed to be Frodo's perspective, so there's no way he'd be knowledgeable enough to divine a fox's thoughts. More likely it's a plot-lightening device, both Tolkien's and 'Frodo's'; completely made-up. JMO.

The fox thought it was very queer to see hobbits asleep in the woods.

This is IMO completely normal for an animal, though. Coherent thoughts aren't.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Apr 23 2014, 10:37am

Post #17 of 17 (644 views)
Shortcut
It could have been worse [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien might have described the fox as having a pin-stripped suit, wearing a bowler hat, walking in two legs and serving the Hobbits tea! Smile

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.