The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Screencap of the Day: "I will kill you if you touch him!"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 2 2014, 9:36am

Post #1 of 7 (458 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day: "I will kill you if you touch him!" Can't Post

The Witch-king's Fell Beast prepares to feast on King Theoden’s flesh, when the disguised Éowyn comes to stand in front of the beast and declares: "I will kill you if you touch him!"

1. We witness the confrontation between Éowyn and the Witch-king from Theoden’s point of view here. How would you explain this choice? Do you find it effective in creating a sense of peril?
2. This screencap features a lot. We can see Theoden’s hands, Snowmane’s back, Éowyn, the Witch-king on his ride as well as the city of Minas Tirith in the background. Which is the first thing that stands out for you? Is there something that tends do "evade" your eye here?
3. Any interesting details that catch your eye?

Fire away! Smile

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 2 2014, 9:57pm

Post #2 of 7 (235 views)
Shortcut
I hadn't realised it was from Theoden's perspective. [In reply to] Can't Post

But yes, that makes sense and adds to the poignancy and desperation of this scene.

1. I see a single fighter against a great big beastie that looks like it could inhale her. It doesn't get more perilous than that.

2. The fell beast certainly dominates, but - even though we can't see her face - it is evident from Eowyn's stance that she is fiercely determined that the beast won't touch her king and uncle. Eowyn's strength isn't in her sword-arm but in her capacity to love and her loyalty beyond self-preservation.
The background of the city of Gondor is a reminder that a battle is not so much about two (or more) armies clashing swords, but about many individuals fighters who are facing their own terrible battles.

3. Eowyn's battle clothing is frayed and dirty - a continuation of PJ's realism approach, and entirely appropriate for a person in probably borrowed clothing after days of riding toward war.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Apr 2 2014, 9:58pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Apr 3 2014, 12:08am

Post #3 of 7 (238 views)
Shortcut
"Not a Man am I !" [In reply to] Can't Post

And where is Merry?

Unsure

>>>>THIS SPACE FOR HIRE<<<<

Contact Messrs. Grubb, Grubb, and Burrowes.
Hole #14, Bywater Pool Road

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 3 2014, 1:29am

Post #4 of 7 (218 views)
Shortcut
Sneaking. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And where is Merry?

Unsure

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 4 2014, 12:19pm

Post #5 of 7 (192 views)
Shortcut
That's a really good point [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
3. Eowyn's battle clothing is frayed and dirty - a continuation of PJ's realism approach, and entirely appropriate for a person in probably borrowed clothing after days of riding toward war.

I hadn't thought of that. I wonder now where she did get the battle attire. I wonder if they are frayed because they were discarded somewhere, or perhaps she has had them in storage a long time.

Interesting!

Darkstone
Immortal

Apr 4 2014, 4:26pm

Post #6 of 7 (203 views)
Shortcut
There is no Freud in Tolkien!! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. We witness the confrontation between Éowyn and the Witch-king from Theoden’s point of view here. How would you explain this choice?

To re-emphasize the fact that no one knows he's a she.

Do you find it effective in creating a sense of peril?

Considering everyone else just ran/rode off in terror, it does emphasize the unknown figure's heroism, loyalty, and devotion. Whoever could it be, Mr. Theoden? Someone you know? Someone you don't know? Or someone you merely thought you knew but didn't really? Perhaps when they take off that helm a patronizing king will discover an inconvenient truth which will bring peril to the long held societal assumptions of Rohan.

2. This screencap features a lot. We can see Theoden’s hands, Snowmane’s back, Éowyn, the Witch-king on his ride as well as the city of Minas Tirith in the background. Which is the first thing that stands out for you?

Besides the lovely view of Eowyn's, er, assets? Spikes. Lots and lots of spikes, from WiKi's helmet to the Fell Beast's head and teeth, to the Tower of Ecthelion, "standing high" "a spike of pearl and silver, tall and fair and shapely". (Umm, that's getting awfully close to TMI, Professor Tolkien...)

I shan't go into the Freudian aspects of this scene because the general consensus in the Reading Room is "Harrumph!! There is no Freud in Tolkien!!"

But I will say somebody is taking a stand against the phallus worshiping misogyny of a patriarchal society of oppression which has tried and failed to force its demeaning gender defining stereotypes upon a woman who dares to defy it by displaying proud spirit and outstanding ability.

Of course it could just be me...

Is there something that tends do "evade" your eye here?

Faces. Theoden's, Eowyns, WiKi's. The only visible and thus significant face is that evil face on the very end of that long, long, snakelike neck that Eowyn is just about to chop right off as it extends itself toward her.

(Repeat 3 times: "There is no Freud in Tolkien! There is no Freud in Tolkien! There is no Freud in Tolkien!")

3. Any interesting details that catch your eye?

A chicken!! The body of the Fell Beast looks like a giant chicken!!

"Chicken Boo, what's the matter with you?
You don't act like the other chickens do.
You fly in the skies
In Fell Beast guise,
But you're not a creature of an older world,
You're a chicken, Boo."

A fox passing through the wood on business of his own stopped several minutes and sniffed. "A chicken crossing the road!" he thought. "Well, what next? I have heard of strange doings in this land, but I have seldom heard of a chicken crossing the road! There's something mighty queer behind this." He was quite right, but he never found out any more because he ate it.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 4 2014, 6:28pm

Post #7 of 7 (251 views)
Shortcut
Aaah! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The body of the Fell Beast looks like a giant chicken!!

You're right, it does! I'll never look at it the same way again. Laugh Unimpressed

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.