The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
A big thank you

Kim
Valinor

Apr 2 2014, 3:00am

Post #1 of 24 (567 views)
Shortcut
A big thank you Can't Post

to all of the mods, DanielLB and everyone else who contributed to the posts to create a fun April Fools Day! Thanks for all the laughs! Laugh

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=719226;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 2 2014, 3:13am

Post #2 of 24 (463 views)
Shortcut
Thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Your tricks are the only ones I got all day.

Lissuin
Valinor

Apr 2 2014, 5:24am

Post #3 of 24 (456 views)
Shortcut
Ditto! [In reply to] Can't Post

'Lots of wacky fun people around here. My goodness, how the rumors flew - from Unexpected Love to singing Vulcans and a brand new forum. I wasn't able to follow everything today, so I hope The Silmarillion thread has not vanished from the earth forever. Daniel, you were an inspiration to many. LaughCheers!

Until next year, fine Tornfolk!

(And isn't there a special TORN occasion this month? That should inspire some equally creative chaos.)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 2 2014, 5:51am

Post #4 of 24 (467 views)
Shortcut
The seas are bent.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But the Sil board is not entirely lost to those who can sail the straight path.

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 2 2014, 8:07am

Post #5 of 24 (452 views)
Shortcut
It was hilarious. [In reply to] Can't Post

A big massive thank you to the admins and everyone who took part. I should also say thank you to everyone who agreed in the first place for me to use their names in the photoshopped thread. Evil This is a great example of why I love this place.

You can all go back to praising RA hair now. Wink

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 2 2014, 10:53am

Post #6 of 24 (445 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure that's not me... [In reply to] Can't Post

but I did want to tell Daniel that I grabbed a screenshot of the Sil-movie index page and I saved html files of all the threads.

I need to find time this weekend to sort out the AF page at the wiki and all the stuff I grabbed from yesterday.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 2 2014, 11:00am

Post #7 of 24 (464 views)
Shortcut
If you need/want more than you have... [In reply to] Can't Post

shoot a PM to an Admin. Smile

Silverlode

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 2 2014, 11:18am

Post #8 of 24 (454 views)
Shortcut
I gathered what was there about 20 minutes before Altaira said she'd remove everything... [In reply to] Can't Post

... and the boards didn't look very active when I went to bed. So I think I've got most of it if not all.

But I will remember how to access the straight path. :-)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 2 2014, 12:33pm

Post #9 of 24 (452 views)
Shortcut
I think my favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

was in the credits of the video. There was a sketch of Leonard Nimoy for the song credit, with the Vulcan gesture with fingers separated. Genius.

Great day, everyone! I loved all the silliness on the Sil board. Demo was brilliant with his double-post of the RA news Wink.

I think this was one of the better April Fool's we've had. Kudos to everyone involved!

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 2 2014, 1:33pm

Post #10 of 24 (436 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Magpie. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
but I did want to tell Daniel that I grabbed a screenshot of the Sil-movie index page and I saved html files of all the threads.

I need to find time this weekend to sort out the AF page at the wiki and all the stuff I grabbed from yesterday.

You are a star. I did see your reply to me in the thread just as I went to bed. It's very much appreciated.

Brethil
Half-elven

Apr 2 2014, 3:23pm

Post #11 of 24 (423 views)
Shortcut
This was awesome my dear Daniel! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool And thanks for the endlessly creative Modar for giving us that Board for the day, and having so much fun with it!

Have an idea relating to the world of JRR Tolkien that you would like to write about? If so, the Third TORn Amateur Symposium will be running in the Reading Room April, 2014. *The Call for Submissions is up*!

**And Rem, you are doing that CoH chapter. Don't forget. **

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Apr 2 2014, 3:43pm

Post #12 of 24 (418 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! Even beyond a shared fondness for Tolkien, [In reply to] Can't Post

TORn has such a creative, fun community with so many super, talented people. But the admins and mods set the tone. So a big thank you for that, as well!!

(*High tens to all*) Smile

You are what you read.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Apr 2 2014, 3:44pm

Post #13 of 24 (418 views)
Shortcut
Thanks to the mods and everyone who participated! [In reply to] Can't Post

Had a blast with the Sil board! Thanks for letting us play!

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2014, 7:14pm

Post #14 of 24 (414 views)
Shortcut
But now we have Xen-Galadriel's hair too [In reply to] Can't Post

It was FABULOUS!!!Laugh Though I wish she had a better quality horse!Crazy

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Elwen
Lorien

Apr 2 2014, 8:38pm

Post #15 of 24 (409 views)
Shortcut
Is it likely.... [In reply to] Can't Post

That we will be able to see at some point what Magpie captured? I know more showed up on the Sil board after I stopped checking for the day, and I suspect it was excellent, as much of what I saw earlier was really creative.

I've been trying to find the straight path, but like the Numenoreans, I think the way is barred to me.

photo b46d46c9-4c74-4ab7-b020-9f8681a9c904_zps24eb4def.jpg
Even elves love a Friday Fiesta

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 2 2014, 9:36pm

Post #16 of 24 (405 views)
Shortcut
expect something by the end of the weekend... [In reply to] Can't Post

in some form or another. :-)

Magpie
Immortal

Apr 6 2014, 1:09am

Post #17 of 24 (386 views)
Shortcut
In which history is documented for posterity: links to TORn Mathom-house articles and to archived Sil Forum threads [In reply to] Can't Post

I've think I've gotten all the April Fools history sorted out.

Documentation of Home Page and Message Board pranks are here:
http://mathom-house.net/...ranks#twentyfourteen

Within that article, links can be found to screencaps of the Message Board pranks but the general Picasa Album (for all pertinent April Fools images throughout the year) can be found here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/...use/AprilFoolsPranks

With Altaira's permission, I put the threads from the now deleted (or hidden) Silmarillion Movie forum in the Mathom-house as well. Find links for them here:
http://mathom-house.net/...llionMovieForumPrank

I also, with DanielLB's permission, grabbed copies of his mocked-up screencaps (that started it all - as found in his post here on Feedback) and put them in a Mathom-house Picasa Album. That way, if something were to happen to Daniel's Photobucket account, we have another copy of them.* Find those here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/...S2014AprilFoolsPrank

*for what it's worth, Daniel's prank and the screencaps he did would not have been, on their own, material for the TORn Mathom-house. But by functioning as inspiration for an Admin (official) prank, they achieved 'worthiness' to be included in the wiki. :-) I just want to be clear that the wiki only covers very specific message board history.

Lissuin
Valinor

Apr 6 2014, 2:02am

Post #18 of 24 (371 views)
Shortcut
Immortal, indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

How do you do these things, Ms Magpie?Laugh For all the hours this must have taken, we thank you, don't we, Tornfolk?
Cheers Lady Bird!

Kim
Valinor

Apr 6 2014, 5:45am

Post #19 of 24 (351 views)
Shortcut
Awesome, thanks Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't notice on the day that the welcome message on the home page changed from Mae govannen to Live Long and Prosper - thanks for highlighting on the screencap. I'm glad we still have access to view The Silmarillion board and posts too. Cool

"Jagatud rõõm on topelt rõõm - a shared joy is a double joy". ~Estonian saying

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=719226;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed

BlackFox
Half-elven

Apr 6 2014, 8:50am

Post #20 of 24 (349 views)
Shortcut
This is so cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, Magpie! Smile

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

DanielLB
Immortal

Apr 6 2014, 9:09am

Post #21 of 24 (344 views)
Shortcut
Thank you *so* much Magpie. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was nice to see what else happened on the board after I went off line. Can we wheel it out ever April Fool's Day? Cool

That way, if something were to happen to Daniel's Photobucket account, we have another copy of them.

Good thinking. I had saved them on my external hard drive as well.

Smile

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 7 2014, 10:24pm

Post #22 of 24 (328 views)
Shortcut
hey! look at that! [In reply to] Can't Post

hey, look at that! i'm immortalized in the 2013 april fool's prank! so cool! : )

thanks, magpie. : )

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Maciliel
Valinor

Apr 7 2014, 10:33pm

Post #23 of 24 (333 views)
Shortcut
this is so wrong... [In reply to] Can't Post

how could i have missed the sil board? ii should have been the greatest aid in composing the threads and posts!

gnash!

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Apr 8 2014, 1:23am

Post #24 of 24 (339 views)
Shortcut
It was really fun [In reply to] Can't Post

and everyone had a great time with it. One of the best pranks we've had in years.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.