Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Weapon question: What kind of sheath is that holding Thranduil's sword?

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 1 2014, 1:53am

Post #1 of 8 (1677 views)
Shortcut
Weapon question: What kind of sheath is that holding Thranduil's sword? Can't Post

And anyone got a good picture of it?

I'm intrigued by it: for one it's not the usual whole-blade-slides-into-it-scabbard. And it seems to be a sort of minimalist sheathy thing that keeps the sword at hand, but with most of the blade exposed? Very puritanical and benefitting of the theme and concept they had for Thranduil's sword. Circumstantial evidence in this vid (blink and you might miss it) - at about 2.05 to 2.08, you see a frontal of Lee Pace sheathing the sword. No scabbard silhoutte and the way he stables the sheath looked a bit different from the usual full-hand grip one employs, as if he's being careful of his fingers.. or it could be just a matter of style.
-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49FqUCuoqFc

In this vid, the clearest view of the sheath yet I could find, is from 2.27 to 2.30 as LP turns around from his orc-head skewering. Thereafter, and in fact at any time its unsheathed, you see that whenever the sword is in his hand, there is no scabbard flapping on his left side, in particular, around the 3.00 mark. (slightly off-topic: around the 1.47 mark to 2.03 we get good looks at the hilt and top part of the blade. The design shot that was in the other vid doesn't do it justice, Very good-looking sword indeed!)
-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZkcYBwEohA

(If this has been posted, I apologise, I didn't find anything in the forum on it. And I didn't find anything out in the Wild either.)

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Apr 1 2014, 2:27am

Post #2 of 8 (1446 views)
Shortcut
Good view... [In reply to] Can't Post

of the sheathed weapon at 6:38 in the videolog #12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcIN15WqeRE

To me it seems to have a full sheath. There's a lot more decoration near the hilt, but the rest does not look like the naked blade to me - not shiny enough, and the sword has deep and distinctive patterns in it all the way down one edge.

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 1 2014, 3:33am

Post #3 of 8 (1419 views)
Shortcut
Historically, there have been sheaths that left much of the blade exposed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have one for a greatsword that only covers about a foot of the blade from the point back. The upper end of the blade is kept in place by a metal ring. With a 5 foot zweihander worn on the back, it's the only way to carry the weapon comfortably and still be able to draw it easily. I don't see any advantage to using such a sheath for a sword worn at the hip, but I can imagine Thranduil choosing it just to show off his fancy blade.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 1 2014, 4:24am

Post #4 of 8 (1398 views)
Shortcut
I thought so too, Arithmancer [In reply to] Can't Post

But now I am not so sure. It seems more like lighting in that shot that gives the impression of a full scabbard. I've changed my mind after the evidence in the other two clips I've cited. Especially the second one. There is no scabbard silhoutte on Thranduil's left side, or even a full outline of the sheath whenever the sword is unsheathed, and the full view of the sheath when Lee Pace turns around from that orc-head skewering feint clearly shows the sheath is no scabbard.

I was also thinking the full scabbard might be digitised... but hell if I could understand the logic of that if true. Anyway, in the movie itself, when Thranduil was sheathing his sword with his back toward the camera, there is still that conspicuous (to me) absence of a scabbard. Very curious.

(nice name by the way. I'm bad at maths so I'm always in awe of those who are good with it)

--------------------------
Enthralled by the Elvenking:
Thranduil Appreciation thread II
Thranduil Appreciation thread

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 1 2014, 4:40am

Post #5 of 8 (1389 views)
Shortcut
That's interesting, Meneldor [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there a name, other than sheath, for such a sheath you use? (yeah, me speake engrish good)

I don't see any advantage to using such a sheath for a sword worn at the hip, but I can imagine Thranduil choosing it just to show off his fancy blade.

LOL. Well, it is a waste to keep all that beautiful craft on the blade hidden all the time. But yeah. I was thinking isn't it a cardinal sin to expose a sword to wear and rust in this manner, especially in the (presumably) dank underground environs of Thranduil's halls, plus there's that added humidity of that river. But I guess it provides sustainable gainful employment for the smiths if nothing else. I do wonder if he has a different setup for battle: a full scabbard for his fancy schmancy sword would make more sense in the harsh outer world, eh? Hmm... wasn't it mentioned that he's got twin swords? Oh, I'm really curious of the gear now. Can't wait til we get better shots of Thranduil in armour and battle-action!

Elvenking enthrallment

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 6 2014, 3:11am

Post #6 of 8 (1267 views)
Shortcut
GIF showing that semi-sheath [In reply to] Can't Post

Just wanted to add this for ref. Interesting how it seems the sheath is almost like a holster, with nothing keeping anyone safe from harm on the business side of the blade (going by the katana concept).

Elvenking enthrallment

Meneldor
Valinor

Apr 6 2014, 3:50am

Post #7 of 8 (1255 views)
Shortcut
No special name for it that I know of. [In reply to] Can't Post

As for protection, a scabbard is better at protecting the world from the blade than the other way around. Scabbards trap moisture on the blade and it will rust if it is not taken out and cleaned regularly. I learned that the hard way.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Apr 6 2014, 4:23am

Post #8 of 8 (1272 views)
Shortcut
So a holster-sheath thingy is actually practical in Thranduil's pad [In reply to] Can't Post

Makes sense. Living in a 95% humidity locale where you can't even trust chips in an open bag to stay crisp for a couple of hours, I empathise with the moisture trouble.

Cool bit of info. Thanks, Meneldor.

Elvenking enthrallment

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.