The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's time for some BS! pt.1 of 3

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 31 2014, 11:33pm

Post #1 of 10 (183 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! pt.1 of 3 Can't Post

Now that we have a short respite from many incredible events, interspersed through the next few days we'll visit Gandalf where it all began... for a moment of Tolkien zen.

pt. 1 of 3 pts.

From Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age: The Silmarillion

..."...the Shadow of Sauron and the sign of his return... ...coming out of the wastes of the East he took up his abode in the south of [Mirkwood] forest, and slowly he grew and took shape there again; in a dark hill he made his dwelling and wrought there his sorcery, and all folk feared the Sorcerer of Dol Guldur, and yet they knew not at first how great was their peril.
...Even as the first shadows were felt in Mirkwood there appeared in the west of Middle-earth the Istari, whom Men called the Wizards. None knew at that time whence they were, save Círdan of the Havens, and only to Elrond and to Galadriel did he reveal that they came over the Sea... ...it was said among the Elves that they were messengers sent by the Lords of the West to contest the power of Sauron, if he should arise again, and to move Elves and Men and all living things of good will to valiant deeds. In the likeness of Men they appeared, old but vigorous, and they changed little with the years, and aged but slowly, though great cares lay on them; great wisdom they had, and many powers of mind and hand. Long they journeyed far and wide among Elves and Men, and held converse also with beasts and with birds; and the peoples of Middle-earth gave to them many names, for their true names they did not reveal. Chief among them ... ...the Elves called Mithrandir and Curunír, but Men in the North named Gandalf and Saruman. Of these Curunír was the eldest and came first, and after him came Mithrandir and Radagast, and others of the Istari who went into the east of Middle-earth, and do not come into these tales. Radagast was the friend of all beasts and birds; but Curunír went most among Men, and he was subtle in speech and skilled in all the devices of smith-craft. Mithrandir was closest in counsel with Elrond and the Elves. He wandered far in the North and West and made never in any land any lasting abode; but Curunír journeyed into the East, and when he returned he dwelt at Orthanc in the Ring of Isengard, which the Númenóreans made in the days of their power.
... Ever most vigilant was Mithrandir, and he it was that most doubted the darkness in Mirkwood, for though many deemed that it was wrought by the Ringwraiths, he feared that it was indeed the first shadow of Sauron returning; and he went to Dol Guldur, and the Sorcerer fled from him, and there was a watchful peace for a long while. But... ...the Shadow returned and its power increased; and in that time was first made the Council of the Wise that is called the White Council, and therein were Elrond and Galadriel and Círdan, and other lords of the Eldar, and with them were Mithrandir and Curunír... ...(that was Saruman the White) was chosen to be their chief, for he had most studied the devices of Sauron of old. Galadriel indeed had wished that Mithrandir should be the Lead of the Council, and Saruman begrudged them that, for his pride and desire of mastery was grown great; but Mithrandir refused the office, since he would have no ties and no allegiance, save to those who sent him, and he would abide in no place nor be subject to any summons. But Saruman now began to study the lore of the Rings of Power, their making and their history."

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 1 2014, 9:07am

Post #2 of 10 (154 views)
Shortcut
It's time for an April Fool's BS!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Are you April Foolish enough to take on a game?

I did a Book Spoiler hunt on how many different ways and times and where the word "fool" was used by Professor Tolkien in The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Well, here they are; and, hopefully, I didn't mess this up. Take a look and see if you can remember where they came from...for a moment or two of Tolkien-zen.

The Lord of the Rings (sans Appendices)
  1. "'They fool about with boats on that big river—and that isn't natural.""
  2. ""I believe that Mad Baggins is off again. Silly old fool.""
  3. "Gandalf stood up. He spoke sternly. 'You will be a fool if you do, Bilbo,' he said. 'You make that clearer with every word you say.'"
  4. "'Well, as for the name, Bilbo very foolishly told Gollum himself...'"
  5. "'Wretched fool! In that land he would learn much, too much for his comfort.'"
  6. "'Don't be a fool! What have you heard, and why did you listen?"
  7. "'...feeling that amazement could go no further, and quite unable to decide whether he felt angry, amused, relieved, or merely foolish."
  8. "'Tell me, if my asking does not seem foolish, who is Tom Bombadil?'"
  9. "Frodo suddenly felt very foolish, and found himself (as was his habit when making a speech) fingering the things in his pocket."
  10. "Frodo felt a fool. Not knowing what else to do, he crawled away..."
  11. "'...why on earth did we behave so foolishly...'"
  12. "'You have a stout heart,' he said; 'but it was foolish.'"
  13. "He bitterly regretted his foolishness, and reproached himself for weakness of will..."
  14. '"Radagast the Fool!'"
  15. "'You need not speak to me as to one of the fools that you take for friends.'"
  16. "'If this delay was his fault, I will melt all the butter in him. I will roast the old fool over a slow fire.'"
  17. "'Ass! Fool! Thrice worthy and beloved Barliman!'"
  18. "'...if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.'"
  19. "'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking party.'"
  20. "'It may have nothing to do with Peregrin's foolish stone; but probably something has been disturbed that would have been better left quiet.'"
  21. "'So ended the attempt to retake Moria! It was valiant but foolish.'"
  22. "'Fly, you fools!'"
  23. "'A merry troop of fools we shall look!'"
  24. "'Fool! Obstinate fool! Running willfully to death and ruining our cause.'"
  25. [previous lines shows it twice]
  26. "...there came to his mind another thought: Take it off! Take it off! Fool, take it off! Take off the Ring!"
  27. "'...let Gimli the Dwarf Glóin's son warn you against foolish words.'"
  28. "'Rest while you can, little fool!'"
  29. "'Saruman is a fool, and a dirty treacherous fool.'"
  30. [previous lines shows it twice]
  31. "'You fools! You should have shot him. He'll raise the alarm.'"
  32. "'You went in a hurry. Did you leave anything behind?' 'I left a fool,' snarled Grishnákh.'"
  33. "'My dear tender little fools...'"
  34. "'We keep off strangers and the foolhardy...'"
  35. '"So the forces that he has long been preparing he is now setting in motion, sooner than he intended. Wise fool.'"
  36. "'Foolishness!' said Gandalf. 'Prudence is one thing, but discourtesy is another.'"
  37. "'That fool, Háma, has betrayed us!'"
  38. "'But you speak like a fool. Do you think those halls are fair, where your King dwells...?'"
  39. "'Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard?'"
  40. "'I am no fool, and I do not trust you, Gandalf.'"
  41. "'Do not be a fool. If you wish to treat with me, while you have a chance, go away, and come back when you are sober!'"
  42. "'You have become a fool, Saruman, and yet pitiable.'"
  43. "'Unhappy fool! He will be devoured, if the power of the East stretches out its arms to Isengard.'"
  44. "'You idiotic fool!' Pippin muttered to himself. 'You're going to get yourself into frightful trouble.'"
  45. "'A fool, but an honest fool, you remain, Peregrin Took.'"
  46. [previous lines shows it twice]
  47. "'Yet he must bear the blame. Fool! to keep it secret, for his own profit.'"
  48. "'Oh yes, you had,' said Gandalf. 'You knew you were behaving wrongly and foolishly; and you told yourself so, though you did not listen.'"
  49. "You revealed yourself to me just now, foolishly.'"
  50. "'Silly hobbits, foolish, yes foolish! They mustn't do it!'"
  51. [previous lines shows it twice]
  52. "'Don't you go taking advantage of my master because his servant's no better than a fool.'"
  53. "'Not here, no. Not rest here. Fools! Eyes can see us.'"
  54. "'Foolish! Silly!' he hissed. 'Make haste!'"
  55. "'Very foolish, very dangerous--if poor Sméagol wasn't sneaking about to watch.'"
  56. "'You fool,' snarled Shagrat. 'You've been talking very clever...'"
  57. "'You fool, he isn't dead, and your heart knew it.'"
  58. "'...you must pardon my foolishness.' 'I do,' said Pippin. 'Though you are not far wrong.'"
  59. "Counsels may be found that are neither the webs of wizards nor the haste of fools.'"
  60. "'... most surely not for any argument would he have set this thing at a hazard beyond all but a fool's hope...'"
  61. "'There never was much hope,' he answered. 'Just a fool's hope, as I have been told.'"
  62. "'Maybe even your foolishness helped, my lad.'"
  63. "'The fool's hope has failed.'"
  64. "'Follow whom you will, even the Grey Fool, though his hope has failed.'"
  65. "Why do the fools fly?'"
  66. "'...I want to see Gandalf very much indeed. But he is no fool...'"
  67. "'Old fool!' he said to Gandalf. 'Old fool! This is my hour.'"
  68. [previous lines shows it twice]
  69. "'Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!'"
  70. "'Nay, I have seen more than thou knowest, Grey Fool.'"
  71. "...thou shalt see what comes to him who sets his foolish webs before the feet of Sauron the Great.'"
  72. "'Don't be a fool, Sam Gamgee,' came an answer in his own voice."
  73. "'You are the fool, going on hoping and toiling.'"
  74. "'... you Shirriffs look a lot of Tom-fools.'"
  75. "'I told Sharkey it was no good trusting those little fools.'"
  76. "'You are a ruffian and a fool.'"
  77. "'Miserable fool, but I am sorry for him.'"
  78. "'He has been a wicked fool, but he's caught now.'"
  79. "'...all of them except perhaps one or two rascals, and a few fools that want to be important...'"
  80. "'He knew too little of hobbits to understand his peril. Foolishly he decided to fight.'"
  81. "'Only that fool Ted was pleased by that...'"
  82. "'I don't believe that fool of a Pimple's behind all this.'"
  83. "'Don't waste any more words on the fool, Sam!'"
  84. "'...if they're such fools, I will get ahead of them and teach them a lesson.'"

The Hobbit
  1. ""Bilbo, you were a fool; you walked right in and put your foot in it.""
  2. ""Don't be a fool, Bilbo Baggins!" he said to himself, "thinking of dragons and all that outlandish nonsense at your age!""
  3. ""You're a fat fool, William...""
  4. "...Thorin and his friends think them foolish (which is a very foolish thing to think)"
  5. [previous lines shows it twice]
  6. ""Don't be a fool Mr. Baggins if you can help it...""
  7. "The dwarves were inclined to grumble at this, but the wizard told them they were fools."
  8. "Some of the more foolish ran out of the hut as if they expected the Mountain to go golden in the night..."
  9. ""Dear me, what a fool I was and am!""
  10. ""Staggering!" exclaimed Bilbo aloud, but what he thought inside was: "Old fool!""
  11. ""Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!""
  12. ""The dragon is coming or I am a fool!""
  13. "... not the most foolish doubted that the prophecies had gone rather wrong."
  14. ""Why waste words and wrath on those unhappy creatures?""
  15. ""Such a fool deserves to starve""
  16. ""Fools!" laughed Bard, "to come thus beneath the Mountain's..."
  17. ""You are a fool, Bilbo Baggins, and you made a great mess of that business with the stone...""

Answers on separate post...

If you think you can handle it, can you guess which chapters any or all of these came from?
Who said the foolish word (where not shown)?
Which chapter was the most foolish?
Which chapters weren't foolish at all?

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 1 2014, 9:10am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 1 2014, 9:09am

Post #3 of 10 (153 views)
Shortcut
FOOLISH ANSWERS [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are the locations :)

The page numbers may vary according to which edition you're accessing... but they're around these page numbers somewhere ;)

The Lord of the Rings – It was used 84 times
The Hobbit – It was used 17 times

**Which chapter was the most foolish?
.......The Lord of the Rings: The Scouring of the Shire (11 times)
.......The Hobbit – There's a tie: Inside Information (3 times) and Fire and Water (3 times)

**Which chapters did these came from and who said them?
[Be aware that different editions may have the text falling on a different page number.]

The Lord of the Rings (sans Appendices)

"'They fool about with boats on that big river—and that isn't natural."'"
.......pg 45 I A Long-Expected Party by the Gaffer
""I believe that Mad Baggins is off again. Silly old fool."'"
.......pg 56 I A Long-Expected Party by Rory Brandybuck
"Gandalf stood up. He spoke sternly. 'You will be a fool if you do, Bilbo,' he said. 'You make that clearer with every word you say.''"
.......pg 60 A Long-Expected Party by Gandalf
"'Well, as for the name, Bilbo very foolishly told Gollum himself...''"
.......pg 89 The Shadow of the Past by Gandalf
"'Wretched fool! In that land he would learn much, too much for his comfort.''"
.......pg 91 The Shadow of the Past by Gandalf
"'Don't be a fool! What have you heard, and why did you listen?'"
.......pg 97 The Shadow of the Past by Gandalf
"'...feeling that amazement could go no further, and quite unable to decide whether he felt angry, amused, relieved, or merely foolish.'"
.......pg 150 A Conspiracy Unmasked by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien regarding Frodo
"'Tell me, if my asking does not seem foolish, who is Tom Bombadil?''"
.......pg 173 In the House of Tom Bombadil (1) by Frodo
"Frodo suddenly felt very foolish, and found himself (as was his habit when making a speech) fingering the things in his pocket.'"
.......pg 216 At the Sign of the Prancing Pony by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien regarding Frodo
"Frodo felt a fool. Not knowing what else to do, he crawled away...'"
.......pg 219 At the Sign of the Prancing Pony by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien regarding Frodo
"'...why on earth did we behave so foolishly...''"
.......pg 224 Strider by Frodo
"'You have a stout heart,' he said; 'but it was foolish.''"
.......pg 235 Strider by Strider
"He bitterly regretted his foolishness, and reproached himself for weakness of will...'"
.......pg 266 Flight to the Ford by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien regarding Frodo
'"Radagast the Fool!''"
.......pg 338 The Council of Elrond by Saruman
"'You need not speak to me as to one of the fools that you take for friends.''"
.......pg 339 The Council of Elrond by Saruman
"'If this delay was his fault, I will melt all the butter in him. I will roast the old fool over a slow fire.''"
.......pg 345 The Council of Elrond by Gandalf
"'Ass! Fool! Thrice worthy and beloved Barliman!''"
.......pg 345 The Council of Elrond by Gandalf
"'...if that does not shatter them, and I am allowed a little peace from foolish questions, I will seek for the opening words.''"
.......pg 400 A Journey in the Dark by Gandalf
"'Fool of a Took!' he growled. 'This is a serious journey, not a hobbit walking party.''"
.......pg 408 A Journey in the Dark by Gandalf
"'It may have nothing to do with Peregrin's foolish stone; but probably something has been disturbed that would have been better left quiet.''"
.......pg 408 A Journey in the Dark by Gandalf
"'So ended the attempt to retake Moria! It was valiant but foolish.''"
.......pg 419 The Bridge of Khazad-dûm by Gandalf
"'Fly, you fools!''"
.......pg 430 The Bridge of Khazad-dûm by Gandalf
"'A merry troop of fools we shall look!''"
.......pg 451 Lothlórien by Gimli
"'Fool! Obstinate fool! Running willfully to death and ruining our cause.''"
[previous lines shows it twice]
.......pg 516 The Breaking of the Fellowship by Boromir
"...there came to his mind another thought: Take it off! Take it off! Fool, take it off! Take off the Ring!'"
.......pg 519 The Breaking of the Fellowship by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien and Gandalf regarding Frodo
"'...let Gimli the Dwarf Glóin's son warn you against foolish words.''"
.......pg 42 Riders of Rohan by Gimli
"'Rest while you can, little fool!''"
.......pg 59 The Uruk-hai by a random Orc
"'Saruman is a fool, and a dirty treacherous fool.''"
.......pg 61 The Uruk-hai by Grishnákh
"'You fools! You should have shot him. He'll raise the alarm.''"
.......pg 63 The Uruk-hai presumably by Uglúk
"'You went in a hurry. Did you leave anything behind?' 'I left a fool,' snarled Grishnákh.''"
.......pg 68 The Uruk-hai by Grishnákh
"'My dear tender little fools...''"
.......pg 74 The Uruk-hai by Grishnákh
"'We keep off strangers and the foolhardy...''"
.......pg 89 Treebeard by Treebeard
'"So the forces that he has long been preparing he is now setting in motion, sooner than he intended. Wise fool.''"
.......pg 127 The White Rider by Gandalf
"'Foolishness!' said Gandalf. 'Prudence is one thing, but discourtesy is another.''"
.......pg 147 The King of the Golden Hall by Gandalf
"'That fool, Háma, has betrayed us!''"
.......pg 151 The King of the Golden Hall by Grima Wormtongue
"'But you speak like a fool. Do you think those halls are fair, where your King dwells...?''"
.......pg 193 The Road to Isengard by Gimli
"'Get up, you tom-fool of a Took! Where, in the name of wonder, in all this ruin is Treebeard?''"
.......pg 223 Flotsam and Jetsam by Gandalf
"'I am no fool, and I do not trust you, Gandalf.''"
.......pg 239 The Voice of Saruman by Saruman
"'Do not be a fool. If you wish to treat with me, while you have a chance, go away, and come back when you are sober!''"
.......pg 240 The Voice of Saruman by Saruman
"'You have become a fool, Saruman, and yet pitiable.''"
.......pg 241 The Voice of Saruman by Gandalf
"'Unhappy fool! He will be devoured, if the power of the East stretches out its arms to Isengard.''"
.......pg 242 The Voice of Saruman by Gandalf
"'You idiotic fool!' Pippin muttered to himself. 'You're going to get yourself into frightful trouble.''"
.......pg 251 The Palantír by Pippin
"'A fool, but an honest fool, you remain, Peregrin Took.''"
.......pg 254 The Palantír by Gandalf
"'Yet he must bear the blame. Fool! to keep it secret, for his own profit.''"
.......pg 259 The Palantír by Gandalf
"'Oh yes, you had,' said Gandalf. 'You knew you were behaving wrongly and foolishly; and you told yourself so, though you did not listen.''"
.......pg 260 The Palantír by Gandalf
"You revealed yourself to me just now, foolishly.''"
.......pg 314 The Black Gate Is Closed by Frodo
"'Silly hobbits, foolish, yes foolish! They mustn't do it!''"
.......pg 331 Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit by Sméagol/Gollum
"'Don't you go taking advantage of my master because his servant's no better than a fool.''"
.......pg 366 The Window on the West by Sam
"'Not here, no. Not rest here. Fools! Eyes can see us.''"
.......pg 399 The Stairs of Cirith Ungol by Sméagol/Gollum
"'Foolish! Silly!' he hissed. 'Make haste!''"
.......pg 402 The Stairs of Cirith Ungol by Sméagol/Gollum
"'Very foolish, very dangerous--if poor Sméagol wasn't sneaking about to watch.''"
.......pg 412 The Stairs of Cirith Ungol by Sméagol/Gollum
"'You fool,' snarled Shagrat. 'You've been talking very clever...''"
.......pg 444 The Choices of Master Samwise by Shagrat
"'You fool, he isn't dead, and your heart knew it.''"
.......pg 444 The Choices of Master Samwise by Sam
"'...you must pardon my foolishness.' 'I do,' said Pippin. 'Though you are not far wrong.''"
.......pg 40 Minas Tirith by Beregond and Pippin
"Counsels may be found that are neither the webs of wizards nor the haste of fools.''"
.......pg 105 The Siege of Gondor by Denethor
"'... most surely not for any argument would he have set this thing at a hazard beyond all but a fool's hope...''"
.......pg 105 The Siege of Gondor by Denethor
"'There never was much hope,' he answered. 'Just a fool's hope, as I have been told.''"
.......pg 107 The Siege of Gondor by Gandalf
"'Maybe even your foolishness helped, my lad.''"
.......pg 107 The Siege of Gondor by Gandalf
"'The fool's hope has failed.''"
.......pg 118 The Siege of Gondor by Denethor
"'Follow whom you will, even the Grey Fool, though his hope has failed.''"
.......pg 118 The Siege of Gondor by Denethor
"Why do the fools fly?''"
.......pg 120 The Siege of Gondor by Denethor
"'...I want to see Gandalf very much indeed. But he is no fool...''"
.......pg 120 The Siege of Gondor by Pippin
"'Old fool!' he said to Gandalf. 'Old fool! This is my hour.''"
.......pg 125 The Siege of Gondor by the Witch-king
"'Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!''"
.......pg 141 The Battle of the Pelennor Fields by the Witch-king
"'Nay, I have seen more than thou knowest, Grey Fool.''"
.......pg 157 The Pyre of Denethor by Denethor
"...thou shalt see what comes to him who sets his foolish webs before the feet of Sauron the Great.''"
.......pg 203 The Black Gate Opens by The Messenger/The Mouth of Sauron
"'Don't be a fool, Sam Gamgee,' came an answer in his own voice.'"
.......pg 266 Mount Doom by Sam
"'You are the fool, going on hoping and toiling.''"
.......pg 266 Mount Doom by Sam
"'... you Shirriffs look a lot of Tom-fools.''"
.......pg 346 The Scouring of the Shire by Sam
"'I told Sharkey it was no good trusting those little fools.''"
.......pg 350 The Scouring of the Shire by a random Ruffian
"'You are a ruffian and a fool.''"
.......pg 351 The Scouring of the Shire by Pippin
"'Miserable fool, but I am sorry for him.''"
.......pg 352 The Scouring of the Shire by Frodo
"'He has been a wicked fool, but he's caught now.''"
.......pg 352 The Scouring of the Shire by Frodo
"'...all of them except perhaps one or two rascals, and a few fools that want to be important...''"
.......pg 353 The Scouring of the Shire by Merry
"'He knew too little of hobbits to understand his peril. Foolishly he decided to fight.''"
.......pg 358 The Scouring of the Shire by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien regarding the Ruffian Leader
"'Only that fool Ted was pleased by that...''"
.......pg 361 The Scouring of the Shire by Farmer Cotton
"'I don't believe that fool of a Pimple's behind all this.''"
.......pg 361 The Scouring of the Shire by Farmer Cotton
"'Don't waste any more words on the fool, Sam!''"
.......pg 366 The Scouring of the Shire by Frodo
"'...if they're such fools, I will get ahead of them and teach them a lesson.''"
.......pg 368 The Scouring of the Shire by Sharkey/Saruman

The Hobbit
""Bilbo, you were a fool; you walked right in and put your foot in it.""
.......pg 30 An Unexpected Party by Bilbo
""Don't be a fool, Bilbo Baggins!" he said to himself, "thinking of dragons and all that outlandish nonsense at your age!""
.......pg 40 Roast Mutton by Bilbo
" "You're a fat fool, William...""
.......pg 48 Roast Mutton by Bert
"...Thorin and his friends think them foolish (which is a very foolish thing to think)"
.......pg 59 A Short Rest by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien regarding the Elves
""Don't be a fool Mr. Baggins if you can help it...""
.......pg 118 Queer Lodgings by Gandalf
"The dwarves were inclined to grumble at this, but the wizard told them they were fools."
.......pg 136 Queer Lodgings by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien regarding the Dwarves
"Some of the more foolish ran out of the hut as if they expected the Mountain to go golden in the night..."
.......pg 188 A Warm Welcome by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien regarding Lake-town residents
""Dear me, what a fool I was and am!""
.......pg 205 Inside Information by Bilbo
""Staggering!" exclaimed Bilbo aloud, but what he thought inside was: "Old fool!""
.......pg 216 Inside Information by Bilbo
""Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!""
.......pg 217 Inside Information by Bilbo
""The dragon is coming or I am a fool!""
.......pg 235 Fire and Water by Grim-voiced fellow/Bard
"... not the most foolish doubted that the prophecies had gone rather wrong."
.......pg 235 Fire and Water by the Narrator/J.R.R. Tolkien regarding Lake-town residents
""Why waste words and wrath on those unhappy creatures?""
.......pg 240 Fire and Water by Bard
""Such a fool deserves to starve""
.......pg 256 A Thief in the Night by Bard
""Fools!" laughed Bard, "to come thus beneath the Mountain's..."
.......pg 264 The Cloud Bursts by Bard
""You are a fool, Bilbo Baggins, and you made a great mess of that business with the stone...""
.......pg 273 The Return Journey by Bilbo

Which chapters weren't foolish at all?

The Fellowship of the Ring
Three is Company
A Short Cut to Mushrooms
The Old Forest
Fog on the Barrow-Downs
A Knife in the Dark
Many Meetings
The Ring Goes South
The Mirror of Galadriel
Farewell to Lórien
The Great River

The Two Towers
The Departure of Boromir
Helm's Deep
The Taming of Sméagol
The Passage of the Marshes
The Forbidden Pool
Journey to the Cross-Roads
Shelob's Lair

The Return of the King
The Passing of the Grey Company
The Muster of Rohan
The Ride of the Rohirrim
The Houses of Healing
The Last Debate
The Tower of Cirith Ungol
The Land of Shadow
The Field of Cormallen
The Steward and the King
Many Partings
Homeward Bound
The Grey Havens

The Hobbit
Over Hill and Under Hill
Riddles in the Dark
Out of the Frying-Pan into the Fire
Flies and Spiders
Barrels Out of Bond
A Warm Welcome
On the Doorstep
Not at Home
The Gathering of the Clouds
The Last Stage

FOOLISH TOTALS

The Lord of the Rings - 84

The Fellowship of the Ring - 26
A Long-Expected Party (3)
The Shadow of the Past (3)
A Conspiracy Unmasked (1)
In the House of Tom Bombadil (1)
At the Sign of the Prancing Pony (2)
Strider (2)
Flight to the Ford (1)
The Council of Elrond (4)
A Journey in the Dark (3)
The Bridge of Khazad-dûm (2)
Lothlórien (1)
The Breaking of the Fellowship (3)

The Two Tower - 31
Riders of Rohan (1)
The Uruk-hai (6)
Treebeard (1)
The White Rider (1)
The King of the Golden Hall (2)
The Road to Isengard (1)
Flotsam and Jetsam (1)
The Voice of Saruman (4)
The Palantír (5)
The Black Gate Is Closed (1)
Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit (2)
The Window on the West (1)
The Stairs of Cirith Ungol (3)
The Choices of Master Samwise (2)

The Return of the King - 27
Minas Tirith (1)
The Siege of Gondor (10)
The Battle of the Pelennor Fields (1)
The Pyre of Denethor (1)
The Black Gate Opens (1)
Mount Doom (2)
The Scouring of the Shire (11)

The Hobbit - 17
An Unexpected Party (1)
Roast Mutton (2)
A Short Rest (2)
Queer Lodgings (2)
A Warm Welcome (1)
Inside Information (3)
Fire and Water (3)
A Thief in the Night (1)
The Cloud Bursts (1)
The Return Journey (1)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 1 2014, 9:13am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 2 2014, 9:16am

Post #4 of 10 (115 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's pt 2 of a 3 pt Book Spoiler where we see how Gandalf followed his instincts about Sauron... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... "Now the Shadow grew ever greater, and the hearts of Elrond and Mithrandir darkened. Therefore on a time Mithrandir at great peril went again to Dol Guldur and the pits of the Sorcerer, and he discovered the truth of his fears, and escaped. And returning to Elrond he said:
... 'True, alas, is our guess. This is not one of the Úlairi, as many have long supposed. It is Sauron himself who has taken shape again and now grows apace; and he is gathering again all the Rings to his hand; and he seeks ever for news of the One, and of the Heirs of Isildur, if they live still on earth....'
... ...Elrond answered: 'In the hour that Isildur took the Ring and would not surrender it, this doom was wrought, that Sauron should return.'
... 'Yet the One was lost,' said Mithrandir, 'and while it still lies hid, we can master the Enemy, if we gather our strength and tarry not too long.'
... Then the White Council was summoned; and Mithrandir urged them to swift deeds, but Curunír spoke against him, and counselled them to wait yet and to watch.
... 'For I believe not... ...that the One will ever be found again in Middle-earth. Into Anduin it fell, and long ago, I deem, it was rolled to the Sea...
... ...Therefore naught was done at that time, though Elrond's heart misgave him, and he said to Mithrandir:
... 'Nonetheless I forbode that the One will yet be found, and then war will arise again, and in that war this Age will be ended. Indeed in a second darkness it will end, unless some strange chance deliver us that my eyes cannot see.'
... 'Many are the strange chances of the world,' said Mithrandir, 'and help oft shall come from the hands of the weak when the Wise falter.'
...] Thus the Wise were troubled, but none as yet perceived that Curunír had turned to dark thoughts and was already a traitor in heart: for he desired that he and no other should find the Great Ring, so that he might wield it himself and order all the world to his will...
... ...ever the shadow in Mirkwood grew deeper, and to Dol Guldur evil things repaired out of all the dark places of the world; and they were united again under one will, and their malice was directed against the Elves and the survivors of Númenor. Therefore at last the Council was again summoned and the lore of the Rings was much debated; but Mithrandir spoke to the Council, saying:
... 'It is not needed that the Ring should be found, for while it abides on earth and is not unmade, still the power that it holds will live, and Sauron will grow and have hope. The might of the Elves and the Elf-friends is less now than of old. Soon he will be too strong for you, even without the Great Ring; for he rules the Nine, and of the Seven he has recovered three. We must strike.'
... To this Curunír now assented, desiring that Sauron should be thrust from Dol Guldur, which was nigh to the River, and should have leisure to search there no longer. Therefore, for the last time, he aided the Council, and they put forth their strength; and they assailed Dol Guldur, and drove Sauron from his hold, and Mirkwood for a brief while was made wholesome again.
... But their stroke was too late. For the Dark Lord had foreseen it, and he had long prepared all his movements; and the Úlairi, his Nine Servants, had gone before him to make ready for his coming. Therefore his flight was but a feint, and he soon returned, and ere the Wise could prevent him he re-entered his kingdom in Mordor and reared once again the dark towers of Barad-dûr. And in that year the White Council met for the last time, and Curunír withdrew to Isengard, and took counsel with none save himself."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 3 2014, 9:57am

Post #5 of 10 (123 views)
Shortcut
TIME - April 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

April 3, 2942 (S.R. 1342)
1. The time comes to leave for home.
(determined from text)
..."It was spring, and a fair one with mild weathers and a bright sun, before Bilbo and Gandalf took their leave at last of Beorn, and though he longed for home, Bilbo left with regret, for the flowers of the gardens of Beorn were in springtime no less marvellous than a high summer."

April 3, 3005 (S.R. 1405), 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf visits in the Spring.
(not from the appendices)
..."It was early April and the sky was now clearing after heavy rain. The sun was down, and a cool pale evening was quietly fading into night...
......It was just at this time that Gandalf reappeared after his long absence. For three years after the Party he had been away. Then he paid Frodo a brief visit, and after taking a good look at him he went off again. During the next year or two he had turned up fairly often, coming unexpectedly after dusk, and going off without warning before sunrise... ...and seemed chiefly interested in small news about Frodo's health and doings.
...Then suddenly his visits had ceased. It was over nine years since Frodo had seen or heard of him, and he had begun to think that the wizard would never return and had given up all interest in hobbits."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 3 2014, 9:57am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 3 2014, 2:01pm

Post #6 of 10 (103 views)
Shortcut
3018? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
April 3, 3005 (S.R. 1405), 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. Gandalf visits in the Spring.
(not from the appendices)
..."It was early April and the sky was now clearing after heavy rain. The sun was down, and a cool pale evening was quietly fading into night...
......It was just at this time that Gandalf reappeared after his long absence. For three years after the Party he had been away. Then he paid Frodo a brief visit, and after taking a good look at him he went off again. During the next year or two he had turned up fairly often, coming unexpectedly after dusk, and going off without warning before sunrise... ...and seemed chiefly interested in small news about Frodo's health and doings.
...Then suddenly his visits had ceased. It was over nine years since Frodo had seen or heard of him, and he had begun to think that the wizard would never return and had given up all interest in hobbits."

Interesting. The text only brings us up to TA 3016 at this point and is somewhat at variance with the Tale of Years:

3004 - Gandalf visits Frodo in the Shire, and does so at intervals during the next four years.
3008 - In the autumn Gandalf pays his last visit to Frodo.

I'm surprised that Tolkien never caught and corrected that discrepancy.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 3 2014, 7:30pm

Post #7 of 10 (100 views)
Shortcut
Whoa... [In reply to] Can't Post

P'raps he did it a'purpose? Just to see if we were watching? ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Apr 3 2014, 9:30pm

Post #8 of 10 (98 views)
Shortcut
Or maybe Frodo slipped up. [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo's wound was paining him the day he wrote that and never caught the error afterward.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 4 2014, 9:05am

Post #9 of 10 (87 views)
Shortcut
Yeah! Yeah! That's it! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Apr 4 2014, 9:06am

Post #10 of 10 (98 views)
Shortcut
It's time for more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the last part of a series of Book Spoilers that looks at Gandalf's achievements... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

... Orcs were mustering, and far to the east and the south the wild peoples were arming. Then in the midst of gathering fear and the rumour of war the foreboding of Elrond was proved true, and the One Ring was indeed found again, by a chance more strange than even Mithrandir had foreseen; and it was hidden from Curunír and from Sauron. For it had been taken from Anduin long ere they sought for it, being found by one of the small fisher-folk that dwelt by the River, ere the Kings failed in Gondor; and by its finder it was brought beyond search into dark hiding under the roots of the mountains. There it dwelt, until even in the year of the assault upon Dol Guldur it was found again, by a wayfarer, fleeing into the depths of the earth from the pursuit of the Orcs, and passed into a far distant country, even to the land of the Periannath, the Little People, the Halflings, who dwelt in the west of Eriador... ...and neither Sauron nor any of the Wise save Mithrandir had in all their counsels given thought to them.
... Now by fortune and his vigilance Mithrandir first learned of the Ring, ere Sauron had news of it; yet he was dismayed and in doubt. For too great was the evil power of this thing for any of the Wise to wield, unless like Curunír he wished himself to become a tyrant and a dark lord in his turn; but neither could it be concealed from Sauron for ever, nor could it be unmade by the craft of the Elves. Therefore with the help of the Dúnedain of the North Mithrandir set a watch upon the land of the Periannath and bided his time. But Sauron had many ears, and soon he heard rumour of the One Ring, which above all things he desired, and he sent forth the Nazgûl to take it. Then war was kindled, and in battle with Sauron the Third Age ended even as it had begun....
... ...But those who saw the things that were done in that time, deeds of valour and wonder, have elsewhere told the tale of the War of the Ring, and how it ended both in victory unlooked for and in sorrow long foreseen....

......In that last battle were Mithrandir, and the sons of Elrond, and the King of Rohan, and lords of Gondor, and the Heir of Isildur with the Dúnedain of the North. There at the last they looked upon death and defeat, and all their valour was in vain; for Sauron was too strong. Yet in that hour was put to the proof that which Mithrandir had spoken, and help came from the hands of the weak when the Wise faltered. For, as many songs have since sung, it was the Periannath, the Little People, dwellers in hillsides and meadows, that brought them deliverance...

... ...Now all these things were achieved for the most part by the counsel and vigilance of Mithrandir, and in the last few days he was revealed as a lord of great reverence, and clad in white he rode into battle; but not until the time came for him to depart was it known that he had long guarded the Red Ring of Fire. At the first that Ring had been entrusted to Círdan, Lord of the Havens; but he had surrendered it to Mithrandir, for he knew whence he came and whither at last he would return.
... 'Take now this Ring,' he said; 'for thy labours and thy cares will be heavy, but in all it will support thee and defend thee from weariness. For this is the Ring of Fire, and... ...maybe, thou shalt rekindle hearts to the valour of old in a world that grows chill. But as for me, my heart is with the Sea, and I will dwell by the grey shores, guarding the Havens until the last ship sails. Then I shall await thee.'"

April 4, 2004
TEN YEARS AGO TODAY, we signed a petition to Let the Hobbit Happen. There were over over 63,000 signatures collected and taken. My Signature Confirmation for The Hobbit Petition was #2433.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Apr 4 2014, 9:09am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.