The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Screencap of the Day: "End? No, the journey doesn’t end here."

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 31 2014, 10:24am

Post #1 of 9 (1506 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day: "End? No, the journey doesn’t end here." Can't Post

The battle continues. While the enemy tries to break through yet another gate, Gandalf and Pippin have a heartfelt conversation.

Pippin: I didn’t think it would end this way.
Gandalf: End? No, the journey doesn’t end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take. The grey rain curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass. And then you see it.
Pippin: What, Gandalf? See what?
Gandalf: White shores, and beyond. A far green country under a swift sunrise.
Pippin: Well, that isn’t so bad.
Gandalf: No. No, it isn’t.

The first screencap is from the beginning of this scene, the second one features Pippin as he listens to Gandalf’s description of afterlife.

1. Describe the change in Pippin’s emotions. How well do think these two caps demonstrate the said change?
2. This conversation never takes place in the book, but the dialogue here is largely lifted from Tolkien’s novel. Can you make the connection? Do you like the filmmakers’ decision to use [it] this way?
3. On a scale from 1 to 10, how emotional is this scene for you?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Mar 31 2014, 12:54pm

Post #2 of 9 (1334 views)
Shortcut
Comforting, [In reply to] Can't Post

This is easily one of my top moments of the trilogy (and I'm sure others would agree). McKellan's delivery of these lines (and Boyd's) is just so real and soothing. If ever there's a time that I'm feeling down (particularly about death), my mind always runs to this, and I immediately feel better. Smile

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 31 2014, 3:41pm

Post #3 of 9 (1317 views)
Shortcut
It's one of my favourite scenes too [In reply to] Can't Post

A beautiful, thoughtful and quiet moment in the midst of all the fast-paced action. Evil

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

Remus
Lorien

Mar 31 2014, 9:12pm

Post #4 of 9 (1312 views)
Shortcut
This scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't fear death before this scene and after this scene there is no way i am afraid to die. I think there will be something after you die.

I wanna see a scene where we see Sauron walking the steps INSIDE of Bara-Dur and taking his seat upon his dark throne and summoning the eye, looking into the camera and then BAM! THE END.

-My thoughts on the best ending scene/post credit scene on TABA.

Starglass
Rivendell

Mar 31 2014, 11:12pm

Post #5 of 9 (1311 views)
Shortcut
One of the best [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this scene.

1. Describe the change in Pippin’s emotions. How well do think these two caps demonstrate the said change?

In the first screen cap, Pippin looks frightened, tearful, and lost. He has given up hope. In the second screen cap he is still tearful but doesn't look quite so frightened. He's leaning towards Gandalf and it is clear he is drinking in everything he is saying. He wants so much to understand and accept the comfort that Gandalf is offering. The two screen caps you picked are a great comparison.

2. This conversation never takes place in the book, but the dialogue here is largely lifted from Tolkien’s novel. Can you make the connection? Do you like the filmmakers’ decision to use [it] this way?

I loved the whole "far green country" description line in the book. It was beautiful and stuck with me to this day after my first reading. Though I love it's placement in the book, I am also glad they found a way to let us hear that beautiful line in the movie.

3. On a scale from 1 to 10, how emotional is this scene for you?

I would say an 8. I don't cry outright as I do at the end, but it touches me in a different way.

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Apr 2 2014, 1:13pm

Post #6 of 9 (1262 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, [In reply to] Can't Post

especially when we're talking about the extended cut. Tongue

"You do not let your eyes see nor your ears hear, and that which is outside your daily life is not of account to you. Ah, it is the fault of our science that it wants to explain all; and if it explain not, then it says there is nothing to explain."

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Apr 2 2014, 1:23pm

Post #7 of 9 (1262 views)
Shortcut
This scene [In reply to] Can't Post

was awesome! I get tears in my eyes whenever I watch it. Billy Boyd and Ian Mckellan's performances were spot on.

Loresilme
Valinor

Apr 4 2014, 12:12pm

Post #8 of 9 (1254 views)
Shortcut
Pippin/BB [In reply to] Can't Post

The way that Pippin hangs on Gandalf's words, his young face and eyes quietly, desperately looking for reassurance from an older and wiser person are, I think, things that many people can relate to. The hope that there is someone in your life older and wiser who knows, really knows, who can tell you "everything is going to be all right" and you can trust them and really believe it. And that sense of wonder and relief, "Well, that isn't so bad." It's almost like Billy Boyd isn't acting, in this scene.
After watching the films many times, often I appreciate different actors or actresses at different times. I think Pippin/Billy Boyd in the last half of ROTK, really shines. He is just so open in his emotions - this scene and also the scene where he finds Merry, are two where I really can't stay dry-eyed.

dijomaja
Lorien

Apr 19 2014, 11:41am

Post #9 of 9 (1224 views)
Shortcut
agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Its's a great scene and let's give credit to Howard Shore's music, too. It's a good way to bring in some of Tolkien's fine writing, skillfully moved into the film.

As has been pointed out, though, Gandalf is not being completely factual. As an immortal spirit, he is not going to die - but his first mortal body did so technically he may be correct in saying that death is a "journey we all must take"..

None of this takes away from a beautiful scene.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.