Screencap of the Day: Lord of the Details-Southrons

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 28 2014, 4:01pm

Post #1 of 8 (304 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day: Lord of the Details-Southrons Can't Post

Larger image here

In the section of screencaps for this week I clicked through one after another of action shots where there is a lot of blur and not much detail. Then I found this one, and wow, what an amazing amount of detail. I haven't watched the Appendices in a while, but I'm guessing there was probably a section on the design work that went into the Southrons.

Some comments:

1. There seemed to be a lot of variety in their armor / costuming. Some had very minimal covering with legs and arms exposed, and then others, like this one, are almost completely covered up in baggy sleeves and trousers. I noticed there is even a stain underneath this fellow's arm which looks very much like an underarm perspiration stain Sly. The film team didn't miss a detail, did they!?

2. What do you think of all the detailing on the - I guess we would call these, "howdahs"? I can't help thinking the folks on the team who constructed the props and sets must have had a lot of fun designing and building all the riggings and skins and whatnot for them. And do you think that probably every one of those knots used on the ropes was researched and are authentic, specialized knots used historically for rigging Laugh?

Please feel free to share any other comments, and thanks so much for visiting SCOD this week!

Heart Loresilme

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Mar 28 2014, 4:01pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 28 2014, 6:58pm

Post #2 of 8 (181 views)
Shortcut
Quoting myself [In reply to] Can't Post

I posted this on The Hobbit Movie board earlier today: "It's the overall attention on detail that continues to amaze me when it comes to these films." I stand to my words!

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 28 2014, 7:12pm

Post #3 of 8 (169 views)
Shortcut
Hear, hear! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
"It's the overall attention on detail that continues to amaze me when it comes to these films."

So true! And the details that I continue to notice for the first time, even after many viewings.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 28 2014, 7:18pm

Post #4 of 8 (173 views)
Shortcut
I know, right? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
And the details that I continue to notice for the first time, even after many viewings.

This is probably why I haven't grown tired of watching these films - there is still something new to discover even on your ...th viewing!

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 28 2014, 7:34pm

Post #5 of 8 (175 views)
Shortcut
There may be a special reason why this guy is covered up. [In reply to] Can't Post

The Southron peoples are supposed to tend towards darker skin than the Men of the North. This dude looks as pasty as a native Londoner.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2014, 8:12pm

Post #6 of 8 (150 views)
Shortcut
Or possibly [In reply to] Can't Post

"he" is a "she"!

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 29 2014, 10:47pm

Post #7 of 8 (148 views)
Shortcut
Maybe... [In reply to] Can't Post

The rider is pretty fair-skinned either way!

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Mar 29 2014, 10:47pm)

HeWhoArisesinMight
Rivendell

Mar 31 2014, 2:30am

Post #8 of 8 (164 views)
Shortcut
Depends on how "far south" the rider comes from [In reply to] Can't Post

There are fair-skinned people in the Middle East and given the conception of the Haradrim in Peter Jackson's LOTR, these people are based on Persians and Turks or maybe Arabs or Mughals, who would have been much darker-skinned. The Mughals did use elephants as beasts of war.

The peoples of Far Harad were probably much darker, but whereas Tolkien mentions them in ROTK and TTT, Jackson doesn't conceive them in the movies. It would have been cool to see the armies of the different far-off places, kinda like in the first 300 movie.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.