Screencap of the Day: More Mumakil details

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 26 2014, 2:35pm

Post #1 of 8 (597 views)
Shortcut
Screencap of the Day: More Mumakil details Can't Post

Larger image here

Lots of mumakil screencaps in this section! This one caught my attention because although I remember the war paint and markings, I don't think I ever noticed that there was lettering on them too.

A few thoughts and questions ....

1. What do you think of the idea of lettering on the mumakil? What would you imagine it says?
2. Would you call these letters, or runes, or ... something else? Does anyone know if these are Tolkien-inspired or movie-invented?
3. Was I the only one who was saddened that the mumakil were being hurt and killed in these scenes? I began to feel sorry for them because they were turned to this use because of their keepers. I wished there had been a way to defeat the opponents without hurting these creatures.
4. The Rohirrim seemed to have never seen mumakil before. I wondered - would it mean they had never battled these opponents before or was it because no one had never used them in battle before? Or perhaps something else - any thoughts?
5. Do you think the opposing army considered themselves to be a superior force and almost invulnerable because they had the mumakil?

Thanks for visiting SCOD! Please feel free to share any comments or observations Smile!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 26 2014, 3:47pm

Post #2 of 8 (482 views)
Shortcut
It's the official Műmakil week! [In reply to] Can't Post

1. What do you think of the idea of lettering on the mumakil? What would you imagine it says?
I too only caught this nice little detail quite recently (I think it was during my latest viewing of ROTK in December right before DOS came out). Anyways, I very much like it. I guess it could be some sort of a protective spell (or a destructive one directed at their opponents) or a motto of some kind. What exactly might it say? Hm... "Fear the wrath!"?

2. Would you call these letters, or runes, or ... something else? Does anyone know if these are Tolkien-inspired or movie-invented?
I'd say these are... letters. They remind me of the letters of the Georgian alphabet a tiny bit. Whether they're Tolkien-inspired or movie-invented, I have no glue.

3. Was I the only one who was saddened that the mumakil were being hurt and killed in these scenes? I began to feel sorry for them because they were turned to this use because of their keepers. I wished there had been a way to defeat the opponents without hurting these creatures.
Animals (even the fictional ones) have always been my soft spot, so I can't help but feel sorry for them. As in real life, it's the owners or the keepers who largely shape the animal's behaviour.

4. The Rohirrim seemed to have never seen mumakil before. I wondered - would it mean they had never battled these opponents before or was it because no one had never used them in battle before? Or perhaps something else - any thoughts?
As the know-all LOTR Wiki states: "To most cultures, the Műmakil were creatures of legend, as fearsome as dragons, and to them were ascribed all kinds of strange powers." So, yes, I think the Rohirrim had never faced these creatures in battle before.

5. Do you think the opposing army considered themselves to be a superior force and almost invulnerable because they had the mumakil?
They definitely come off as very confident when they arrive at the battlefield, do they not?

Thanks for another interesting screencap, Loresilme!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Mar 26 2014, 7:54pm

Post #3 of 8 (469 views)
Shortcut
Guesses [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The writing is pre-Arabic graffiti; it says "Ra's al Ghul was here!"

2. See above.

3. Not really. War is hell on CGI critters. But then, perhaps I was a bit irritated over how big Jackson made the oliphaunts.

4. I just assumed that the beasts had never been used against the Rohirrim before.

5. Could well be.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 26 2014, 8:53pm

Post #4 of 8 (455 views)
Shortcut
Pre-Arabic graffiti... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
1. The writing is pre-Arabic graffiti; it says "Ra's al Ghul was here!"

You're too funny! Laugh

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 26 2014, 9:16pm

Post #5 of 8 (455 views)
Shortcut
1. Death from above! [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Mar 27 2014, 1:13am

Post #6 of 8 (450 views)
Shortcut
I never noticed those markings before [In reply to] Can't Post

Makes sense. I think it says "To advertise here, call 555-...."

They look vaguely Arabic. When Sam describes the mumakil/oliphaunt in Ithilien, he doesn't mention any markings, only the gold and scarlet trappings and the tower, but maybe he missed them at the speed the mumakil was going, like I did. Wink But as for the letters/runes, I don't know if those are Tolkien-inspired.

It did seem kind of a shame, but it also seemed kind of a shame that there was so much killing going on everywhere. Darn evil. Unsure But yeah, the keepers definitely seemed cruel--or maybe it was just their war paint...

4. The Rohirrim seemed to have never seen mumakil before. I wondered - would it mean they had never battled these opponents before or was it because no one had never used them in battle before? Or perhaps something else - any thoughts.

I kind of get the impression that the Haradrim had not ventured into this part of the world in a very long time, if ever. So it makes sense that the Rohirrim had never seen the mumakil before, much less fought them. I thought they didn't seem as terrified of them as they should have...but on the other hand, these guys did live in Middle-earth. Maybe they had heard rumors of the fell beasts of Mordor, and had braced themselves to see strange creatures.

I would feel pretty darn powerful, if I had a mumakil I could march into battle! (They seem a little vulnerable at the legs, though. Didn't the Haradrim take a lesson from the At-At Walkers? Sheesh!)

I thought the critters were too big--about 2/3 the size would have been more "believable." But as we're talking about pure imagination here, what the heck. Cool

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Mar 27 2014, 1:33am

Post #7 of 8 (450 views)
Shortcut
If operated in an unsafe matter call.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And practicalities always start nagging at me... can you imagine how much one of these eats? How difficult would the supply train be to maintain? Sauron clearly was not thinking ahead.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 27 2014, 2:04am

Post #8 of 8 (476 views)
Shortcut
1. Honk if you're Orcish. [In reply to] Can't Post

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.