The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Arwen vs Tauriel

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 25 2014, 10:23pm

Post #1 of 14 (8638 views)
Shortcut
Arwen vs Tauriel Can't Post

We already did Éowyn vs Tauriel, it's now time for Arwen vs Tauriel, elf vs elf. Who'd win?

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2014, 2:52am

Post #2 of 14 (8461 views)
Shortcut
Anyone who voted Eowyn will favor Arwen.... [In reply to] Can't Post

but let's leave that aside for the sake of discussion.

Tauriel has quick, accurate archery with her bow for range, and dual knives for up close. She's a Silvan Elf of Mirkwood, so she's an expert in woodcraft, tree-climbing/branch travel, and wilderness stealth.

Arwen has Asfaloth, a swift horse of Rivendell and can ride very well. Can't tell if Tauriel has a mount, or how well she can ride.

Arwen has the sword Hadhafang. Though we never got to see her actually use it, most likely she's been trained. Tauriel is very good with the knives, but a sword has better reach and potentially causes more damage.

Arwen (like Tauriel) can be quite stealthy in the woods, as she was able to get the drop on Aragorn, a seasoned outdoorsman to say the least.

She has some powerful Elf magic. At the very least, she can summon a flood. Most likely she has other spells up her sleeve. I don't picture the daughter of Elrond as a one-trick pony. Tauriel doesn't seem to be into the whole spell casting thing (except healing--but they both do that Wink).

If Arwen gets to ride Asfaloth and if they fight on open ground, Arwen has the edge, but it's not a one-sided match. Tauriel would want to draw Arwen into dense woodland, and even then it would not be one-sided.

Because of Arwen's magic and her horse, I give her the slight advantage. Tauriel seems more aggressive and ferocious, and also very agile, which should compensate at least somewhat.

Or, we could go meta:

ARWEN: Hey, I should win because I'm an actual character from the books!

TAURIEL (pantomiming a phone call): Uh, hello? Oh, yeah she's right here. (offers Arwen the imaginary phone.) Glorfindel calling, he wants his role back.

Things overheard during games of chess in Middle-earth:

Galadriel (any and every time she advances her pawn to the last row): "In its place you would have a QUEEN!!!!" (thunder booms)

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 26 2014, 9:58am

Post #3 of 14 (8447 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for such a thorough answer! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Or, we could go meta:

TAURIEL (pantomiming a phone call): Uh, hello? Oh, yeah she's right here. (offers Arwen the imaginary phone.) Glorfindel calling, he wants his role back.

Hehehe! Laugh

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Mar 26 2014, 1:06pm

Post #4 of 14 (8435 views)
Shortcut
Is this even a contest? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry Arwen fans but Arwen doesn't do anything.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Mar 26 2014, 1:08pm

Post #5 of 14 (8436 views)
Shortcut
Good one [In reply to] Can't Post

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Mar 26 2014, 9:39pm

Post #6 of 14 (8423 views)
Shortcut
Lets see... [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen will be Queen with King Aragorn....Tauriel has a crush on a dwarf...
Arwen wins!

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2014, 9:58pm

Post #7 of 14 (8420 views)
Shortcut
"Like"! [In reply to] Can't Post

He he!

Not to mention the "bad news" overriding the "good news" of Tauriel's scenario....

Good news: congratulations Tauriel, the boy you're crushing on hails from the royal line of Durin the Deathless! *cheers and confetti!* Smile

Bad news: your boy ain't "Deathless".... *whomp, whomp!* Unsure

Galadriel (any and every time she advances her pawn to the last row): "In its place you would have a QUEEN!!!!" (thunder booms)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 26 2014, 10:20pm

Post #8 of 14 (8422 views)
Shortcut
Stop making me laugh so hard! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Not to mention the "bad news" overriding the "good news" of Tauriel's scenario....

Good news: congratulations Tauriel, the boy you're crushing on hails from the royal line of Durin the Deathless! *cheers and confetti!* Smile

Bad news: your boy ain't "Deathless".... *whomp, whomp!* Unsure

LaughLaughLaugh

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Mar 29 2014, 2:02pm

Post #9 of 14 (8405 views)
Shortcut
Sword isn't always an advantage over knives [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for Kahlan (of Legend of the Seeker) fight scenes on youtube and you'll see she does pretty well with her two knives.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2014, 3:13pm

Post #10 of 14 (8400 views)
Shortcut
No, you're quite right [In reply to] Can't Post

I completely agree, knife could overcome sword, just as someone with less range could overcome someone with greater range. It depends on the knife fighter verus the sword wielder, the techniques used and how well they are executed....

To say sword *always* as advantage over knife isn't really what I was saying. i was saying "a sword has better reach and potentially causes more damage" i was just talking about range/distance generally and the fact that a longer blade can go deeper into someone's body to cause greater potential injury.

(I realize that a shorter weapon could also cause fatal and instant injury without having to go sword-deep--stabbing through the heart for example.) Shocked

So I agree with you, a good knife fighter (like Kahlan from the LOTS TV show) could compensate for lack of range (slipping and working the inside). As I mentioned, I gave Arwen the slight edge over Tauriel "(b)ecause of Arwen's magic and her horse...." not so much about the length of her weapon.

Cheers!

Whoa hey--when did I reach Grey Havens? just noticed that! Smile

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 29 2014, 3:17pm

Post #11 of 14 (8392 views)
Shortcut
Congrats! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Whoa hey--when did I reach Grey Havens? just noticed that! Smile

"Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake." - Henry David Thoreau

Ruxendil_Thoorg
Tol Eressea

Mar 29 2014, 3:23pm

Post #12 of 14 (8380 views)
Shortcut
Thanks BlackFox! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Mar 29 2014, 4:29pm

Post #13 of 14 (8449 views)
Shortcut
Ah, yep [In reply to] Can't Post

You're quite right! Thank you for clarifying all that :)

P.S. Congrats on moving up to Grey Havens!

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that has been given to you...

aragorn2015
The Shire

Aug 10 2015, 7:40am

Post #14 of 14 (7980 views)
Shortcut
Arwen vs Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen will cry endless tears because she can't decide between immortality and her boyfriend.

Tauriel will also cry endless tears because she's forbiddon to be with Legolas while Kili - the consolation prize she only spent 20 minutes with in the 600 years of her life - just died.

Galadriel - the elf queen who banished Sauron, and Eowyn - the shieldmaiden who slayed the Witch-King - team up and wipe the floor on both of them. Arwen and Tauriel's epic defeat leads to even more endless tears while Eowyn and Galadriel celebrate their victory. Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.