Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
The faithful stone

sador
Valinor

Apr 3, 9:46am

Views: 114
Shortcut
The faithful stone [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it one of the most clear examples of 'magic' that we see represented anywhere?
This is actually one of the best examples of animism in the Legendarium, which the long-missing Dreamdeer used to champion.

The quiet use of meditation, and the almost stone-like quality of the Druedain themselves - are there clues to ther origins in their powers; or was all this this a stretch in world-building and stretching the tales into the world of Faerie?
I'm not sure; but it does vaguely remind me of the traits attributed to Native Americans by Caucasian writers in children's books. Tolkien once commented he had liked them as a child (then they were called by the name "Indians", which is wrong but did not really confuse - but why should the mistake of one European explorer be considered more derogatory than the Christian name of another?).

If included in LOTR, would it have derailed and competed with the times Gandalf uses magic, do you think, or since the Woses are so different would it have simly been another facet of Magic?

No; but it would never be included in LotR.
In LotR, the function of Ghan-buri-Ghan is to show that even the most simple, primitive people, are not evil; hate evil intuitively, presumably for the harm it does to Middle-earth itself; and also that their culture, while backward and unsophisticated, remembers much that the more advanced cultures have forgotten.
Making the Druedain a race of powerful magicians ruins the whole effect.

Subject User Time
Unfinished Tales Discussion: The Druedain Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 24, 12:14pm
    The Druedain: Who are the Woses? Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 24, 12:15pm
        The Druedain: Magic in the mix Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 24, 12:21pm
            It would be a 'shaman', to wonder too much about those wily wosey woodsmen and their weird weputation noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Mar 24, 9:20pm
                Making myths Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 24, 11:33pm
            Myths and Magic can be scary... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Mar 25, 2:49pm
                Secrecy on many levels Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 25, 11:45pm
            The faithful stone sador Send a private message to sador Apr 3, 9:46am
        A wose by any other name... noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Mar 24, 8:53pm
            Easter Island CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Mar 24, 9:03pm
                The Road to Dunharrow - a great literary effect noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Mar 24, 9:23pm
                    Antiquity in ME Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 24, 11:12pm
                Yes... I had the same visceral reaction Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Mar 25, 2:18pm
            Appelates and Wild Men Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 24, 11:23pm
                Wild men, noble savages and civilization noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Mar 25, 3:38pm
        Woses, Hobbits, and Halflings Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Mar 25, 2:30pm
            Possibly... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 25, 11:32pm
                Influence vs. Corruption Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Mar 26, 1:46am
                    Adapting against corruption Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 26, 11:58pm
    The Druedain: Connections to Turin, Sador and Numenor Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 24, 12:17pm
        Sador the Wose CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Mar 24, 8:46pm
            How did Gandalf miss them? Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 24, 11:06pm
                Do we know Gandalf did miss them? noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Mar 25, 3:43pm
                    True my friend, we don't know either way... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 25, 11:51pm
                        I suspect they were left out of the equation CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Mar 26, 12:05am
                            All Devilish-advocating aside... Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 26, 12:20am
                            A chance-meeting, as we say in Middle-earth Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Mar 26, 1:37am
        Shoot first, ask questions later... Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Mar 25, 2:44pm
            Druedain and other races Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 25, 11:40pm
    The people apart from the people apart CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Mar 24, 8:13pm
        Druedain, men and Halloween costumes Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 24, 10:53pm
            The Druedain in year-round costumes. Ready for any party! CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Mar 24, 11:17pm
                Hador:Drug::Bree:Hobbits. Very true Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 24, 11:40pm
                Numenor and surfing. You did say 'silly'. Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 24, 11:59pm
                    Argonath explained CuriousG Send a private message to CuriousG Mar 25, 12:59am
                        So THAT'S why they choose NZ!!!! Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Mar 25, 2:27pm
                        Explaining the Argonath Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 25, 11:57pm
                        The Argonath: isn't it "I'm admiring my nice new Ring" // noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Mar 26, 7:18am
    Woses = Picts? Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Mar 24, 8:41pm
        Picts and Woses Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 24, 11:01pm
            So, did Tolkien envision the Woses as ancestors of the Picts? Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Mar 26, 7:45pm
                Agreed O-S Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 26, 11:55pm
    I'm already late to the next discussion, so I might as well begin answering this one. sador Send a private message to sador Apr 1, 6:32pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.