Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
A Númenor; and nothing more.

Calardan

Apr 10, 5:07pm

Views: 71
Shortcut
A Númenor; and nothing more. [In reply to] Can't Post

Faramir was wise and clever because he was educated. This becomes apparent when you factor in that his life was steeped in the misery of middle earth, in his early childhood. Faramir and Boromir loved and respected eachother deeply, and this connected Faramir to the great lineage into which he was born. He learned later from tutelage by Gandalf about his and mankind's own past. This knowledge of history would have affected his demeanor and sense of scale. It would have also sobered him into questioning the machinations of the Enemy, where and whenever he may meet him. His life would have prepared him in a unique way by the time of the WR, to adapt and succeed. Faramir was only ever hampered in small part by his duty to the stewardship of Gondor from making his abnormally intelligent, calculated decisions. I think that Faramir and his attitude are really evocative of the importance of history that is reflected throughout the legendarium. The fact that his mother was named for an elf in some ways hints at his being spiritually or metaphorically half-elven though it is extremely apparent that he was a normal human, and clearly of the same parents as Boromir. Faramir is, as stated above, a man out of his own time, in a time that needed people just like him. The powers set against middle earth at the time of the WR were ancient, it would follow that the heroes of middle earth were in some ways ancient as well.

Aiya Eärendil elenion ancalima!

Subject User Time
Faramir's origins DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 22, 6:15pm
    Welcome Daughter of Laketown! Brethil Send a private message to Brethil Mar 22, 7:27pm
        Yes Brethil DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 23, 4:15pm
            Well..... elaen32 Send a private message to elaen32 Mar 23, 7:41pm
                Faramir is unconventional Elanor of Rohan Send a private message to Elanor of Rohan Mar 23, 8:45pm
                    I love this! DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 23, 10:05pm
                        I am astonished this discussion is still going! DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 23, 10:06pm
                            Our threads go ever on and on noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Mar 25, 3:54pm
    Well... Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Mar 22, 7:42pm
        That's the thing DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 22, 10:26pm
            I would DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 22, 10:28pm
            Finduilas of Dol Amroth Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Mar 23, 3:02pm
                Here is my reasoning far flung as it is DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 23, 4:13pm
                    That's only because it is far-fetched. Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Mar 23, 4:20pm
                        Tolkien is remarkably consistent in one thing: Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Mar 24, 12:06am
                            That's a trifle overstated squire Send a private message to squire Mar 24, 1:11am
                                Could you elaborate on this? DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 24, 1:40am
                                    "But one day Tom, he went and caught the River-daughter" squire Send a private message to squire Mar 24, 2:04am
                                        Thank you for clearing that up. DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 24, 2:49am
                                Every time I think of poor Celebrian demnation Send a private message to demnation Mar 27, 5:25am
                                    Yes I think her end was pretty terrible. DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 27, 11:54am
                                        Celebrian suffered, but she presumably got better Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Mar 27, 2:07pm
                                            A question. DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 27, 2:29pm
                                                It never was specified what happened to Elladan and Elrohir Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Mar 27, 3:08pm
                                                The Choice of the Peredhil Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Mar 27, 3:09pm
                                                    Oh DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 27, 4:24pm
                                                Letter 153, to Peter Hastings, Sept. 1954 Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Mar 27, 7:19pm
                                        The veiled menace is often more fearsome for the reason of the unknown Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Mar 27, 2:59pm
                            I think it was DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 24, 1:34am
                                I agree with you. Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Mar 24, 4:29am
                            You're preaching to the choir, Liz. Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Mar 24, 12:16pm
                                Just agreeing with you! :-) // Elizabeth Send a private message to Elizabeth Mar 24, 6:01pm
                                    Sorry for the misunderstanding. Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Mar 24, 8:21pm
                                        I read an interesting article about Aredhel... IdrilLalaith Send a private message to IdrilLalaith Mar 25, 5:13am
                                            Here is the quotation I was referring to... DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 25, 1:41pm
                                            I would say that Denethor and Faramir's differences went a little deeper. Otaku-sempai Send a private message to Otaku-sempai Mar 25, 1:58pm
                                                Yes DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 25, 2:12pm
    I think it goes a bit too far in some ways squire Send a private message to squire Mar 23, 1:11am
        I respect DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 23, 1:18am
            I am really DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 23, 1:19am
            different mothers? noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Mar 23, 8:59am
                noWizardme DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 23, 1:41pm
                    Faramir is indeed odd noWizardme Send a private message to noWizardme Mar 23, 2:42pm
                True DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 23, 1:47pm
        Love this discussion!! EomundDaughter Send a private message to EomundDaughter Mar 23, 8:00pm
            Glad you're enjoying it Eomund daughter ! DaughterofLaketown Send a private message to DaughterofLaketown Mar 23, 10:08pm
    It's fun to speculate Riven Delve Send a private message to Riven Delve Mar 23, 6:17pm
    Ah Faramir!! My favourite character Rembrethil Send a private message to Rembrethil Mar 25, 2:56pm
    This is a great post MirielCelebel Send a private message to MirielCelebel Apr 5, 1:46am
    A Númenor; and nothing more. Calardan Send a private message to Calardan Apr 10, 5:07pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.