Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media did you watch last weekend?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BlackFox
Half-elven

Mar 17 2014, 9:21pm

Post #26 of 42 (436 views)
Shortcut
Saw it. Loved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Such a moving story. Judi Dench - brilliant as ever!

"Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere." - Albert Einstein

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 17 2014, 9:55pm

Post #27 of 42 (436 views)
Shortcut
I liked Steve Coogan in this a lot. [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't know him well as Alan Partridge but I've seen a number of his movies. I was very pleasantly surprised by his performance in this movie. I loved it. Judi Dench was wonderful, as always.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Mar 18 2014, 1:14am

Post #28 of 42 (425 views)
Shortcut
Kim, I've watched both seasons of Call the Midwife on Netflix [In reply to] Can't Post

I really enjoy it and Vanessa Redgrave's voice-overs give just the right touch of both class and gravitas. Chummy and Sister Monica Joan are my favorite characters. Enjoy!

Live like a hero. That's what the classics teach us. Be a main character. Otherwise what is life for? (J.M. Coetzee)

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 18 2014, 1:36am

Post #29 of 42 (418 views)
Shortcut
just fyi: one of the "Call the Midwife" ebooks is on sale at Amazon right now for 1.99 [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009UWRTH6

looks like this one is $1.99, too.

http://www.amazon.com/...-ebook/dp/B00A6DHFDQ

These might be temp prices.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Mar 18 2014, 1:39am

Post #30 of 42 (416 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the heads up, Magpie :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Live like a hero. That's what the classics teach us. Be a main character. Otherwise what is life for? (J.M. Coetzee)

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Mar 18 2014, 3:56am

Post #31 of 42 (417 views)
Shortcut
Frances Ha [In reply to] Can't Post

My husband was out of town, so I decided to watch something on Netflix that he probably wouldn't like. It was a nice little movie, kind of slow-moving, but life-affirming. Mr. FF would have been asleep within five minutes.
After it was over, I watched the last episode of Season 1 of "Orange is the New Black".

Where's Frodo?

Misto
Lorien

Mar 18 2014, 12:34pm

Post #32 of 42 (415 views)
Shortcut
Steve Coogan [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't quite realise he had done so many films. The only (somewhat) non-comedy role I ever saw him in was the BBC mini-series Sunshine. Which, despite overall quality, has a tendency towards the silly things you would expect of a comedian. Especially in the latter part.

Theodora
The Shire

Mar 18 2014, 6:26pm

Post #33 of 42 (402 views)
Shortcut
The avengers, Last Vegas and Midsomer Murders [In reply to] Can't Post

Both great movies, very different but I liked them both. Thor 2 should be out on DVD soon, we'll be watching that too.

Midsomer Murders is broadcasted on local television here, I saw most of the episodes. I like John Barnaby in the new series, although sometimes I miss Tom Barnaby's humor.

Patty
Immortal

Mar 20 2014, 7:59am

Post #34 of 42 (382 views)
Shortcut
I must watch Midsomer murder sometime. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is an absolute favorite of my sister.

Permanent address: Into the West

(This post was edited by Patty on Mar 20 2014, 8:00am)

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 20 2014, 9:05am

Post #35 of 42 (373 views)
Shortcut
Ponyo... [In reply to] Can't Post

Another Miyazaki film. Another great Miyazaki film. This one was so cute (and I don't use that word unless I mean it, lol). I very much enjoyed it, although I think I would have loved it if I was, say 6. That's not meant to sound like a negative thing, btw.

I'm looking forward to seeing some more of his films in a couple of weeks. For now I'll take some time off. I think it's good to do so (at least for me) when watching several of a directors' films back-to-back, especially with a man like Miyazaki.

Next up (I hope), Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service and My Neighbor Totoro!

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 20 2014, 9:40am

Post #36 of 42 (369 views)
Shortcut
I adore Ponyo [In reply to] Can't Post

It's the water. The first time I saw it was on the big screen and I can still remember how stunned I was.

Are you watching the Japanese language versions of the Miyazaki films? I prefer to watch them subtitled.

PS Isn't the mother in Ponyo a crazy driver!

cats16
Half-elven

Mar 20 2014, 9:48am

Post #37 of 42 (367 views)
Shortcut
Subtitles, this time [In reply to] Can't Post

Most of the other ones I've seen were dubbed. I've been watching them with about 5 other people, so sadly it's not my choice (which would undoubtedly be subtitles every time). I always prefer subtitles when watching a non-English film. There's just something about hearing it in the original format that I find more 'truthful' (if that makes any sense).

I really wish I had seen this in a theater. The animation is incredible. As you said, the water is stunning.

Yes, I was thinking the exact same thing! I wasn't sure for the first few minutes whether it was the boy's sister or mother (or babysitter). Either way, someone needs to take away her license!!

Meneldor
Valinor

Mar 20 2014, 10:27pm

Post #38 of 42 (356 views)
Shortcut
Max Manus [In reply to] Can't Post

2008, based on the true story of a famous Norwegian resistance fighter in WW2. Good mix of drama, suspense, and action, and it doesn't shy away from the cost that men of conscience pay to be warriors.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2014, 2:28am

Post #39 of 42 (354 views)
Shortcut
Midsomer theme [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it was an ehru or saw that played the theme! It sounded like a violin crossed with a whistle. Nice to know!!

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Patty
Immortal

Mar 21 2014, 6:08am

Post #40 of 42 (360 views)
Shortcut
Did anybody else watch the Marvel special that was on when agents of shield should've been on? [In reply to] Can't Post

They showed previews of guardians of the galaxy and the Winter soldier and discussed the whole Marvel universe. I thought it was pretty well done.

Kim
Valinor

Mar 26 2014, 5:12am

Post #41 of 42 (336 views)
Shortcut
Finally got a chance to watch this [In reply to] Can't Post

Very interesting to see how they fit all the movies together, and how they built on each other. I hadn't heard of the shorts before, then how Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D evolved. I also re-watched the episode with the train as I didn't pay close enough attention to it when it first aired. I kind of need to take things in chunks since I don't know the comics, and can only absorb so much at a time. That reminds me, where did Lorelai come from? I'd never heard of her before the AoS episode, and I thought someone referenced her from Thor 2, but I don't remember hearing anything about her in that. Or had we not met her in the movie/tv universes until that ep?

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=719226;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed

Patty
Immortal

Mar 26 2014, 6:21am

Post #42 of 42 (339 views)
Shortcut
I have seen all of the movies... [In reply to] Can't Post

And watched all of AoS and this is the first I've seen or heard of her. I am totally unfamiliar with the cartoons and the comic books, so I know nothing of canon.

The Marvel One Shots on the discs are great fun, especially the one where
Son of Coul SlyHeart. Stops off at the convenience store at night. I am such a fan of his !

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.