Prince Imrahil?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 14 2014, 7:41am

Post #26 of 32 (2059 views)
Shortcut
But what about Legolas & Gimli? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't remember that they were wounded in the battle. And do we actually hear that everyone else on the field of battle was wounded?

Not to take anything away from Imrahil, of course. He was also extremely valuable in being an appropriate leader to take charge after the battle when Denethor was dead, Faramir seriously hurt, and Aragorn not recognized or ready yet.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Mar 14 2014, 3:37pm

Post #27 of 32 (2051 views)
Shortcut
Ah. *lightbulb moment* I get it now. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He is the leader of Belfalas, one of Gondor's fiefdoms near the coast. His land once hosted an Elven harbor for Wood-Elves to go to the Undying Lands, so there are legends that there are men with elven-blood in them. Legolas immediately recognizes the Prince as one of these people, and also likens him to one of the men from Gondor's glorious ages. Gandalf also hints that Imrahil is one of the 'names among us that are worth a thousand knights' when they are marching to Mordor.

Imrahil is also Denethor's brother in law, hence Faramir and Boromir's uncle- his sister Findulas was Denethor's wife. This position, along with his existing title makes him essentially third in command after Denethor and Faramir. He is the last of the captains to arrive, and the only one who brings mounted cavalry with him although he also has the largest army overall of the lords. Until the Rohirrim arrive, Imrahil is the only cavalry Gondor has although Aragorn brings the southern fiefs to win the Battle of the Pelennor Fields. His skill in battle is such that only he, Eomer and Aragorn come out of the battle with no wounds.

This clarifies a lot in my mind. Now the legend stuff makes more sense. Somehow I also didn't realize that Imrahil was Denethor's brother in law or third in command, but that explains why Gandalf told him to take command once Denethor and Faramir were officially down for the count.

Now I'm wondering: What happened to Findulas, Denethor's wife? Was she killed, or did she get sick and die or something? Or is she just one of those characters that Tolkien never said what happened to her?

"So fare thee well, my own true love
I'll think of you night and day
A place in my mind, you will surely find
Although I am so far away
And when I'm alone, far away from home
I'll think of the good times once more
Until I can make it back someday here
To Paddy's green shamrock shore"
--The High Kings

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 14 2014, 6:32pm

Post #28 of 32 (2047 views)
Shortcut
From Appendix A: [In reply to] Can't Post

She was a lady of great beauty and gentle heart, but before twelve years had passed she died. Denethor loved her, in his fashion, more dearly than any other, unless it were the elder of the sons that she bore him. But it seemed to men that she withered in the guarded city, as a flower of the seaward vales set upon a barren rock. The shadow in the east filled her with horror, and she turned her eyes ever south to the sea that she missed.

The Appendices are a treasure trove of backstory, especially Appendices A and B.

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Mar 14 2014, 6:34pm)

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Mar 14 2014, 8:22pm

Post #29 of 32 (2043 views)
Shortcut
Imrahil (and family) [In reply to] Can't Post

He is one of my favourite characters in ROTK and I was really disappointed by his exclusion from the films.

He has a very important role also in the government of Gondor in the hectic days after the battle of the Pelennor Fields (Denethor dead, Faramir barely alive). He is never over the top, always caring, strong as a rock, he goes along Aragorn on his difficult path of entering Gondor as Isildur's Heir.
Of course we can also see the white swan on the blue flag unfurling in front of the Black Gate.

I don't know why, but I have always imagined him as fair- haired and blue eyed, proud and tall but lean, not heavy-built (probably because of the references to the Elvish blood in Dol Amroth's ruling house).

Last but not least, he has a (presumably) very beautiful young daughter, Lotiriel, who, after the War of the Ring, will marry EomerHeart and they will have at least one son, called Elfwine the fair.
So Imrahil will become the father-in-law of the new King of Rohan, as wellWink

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Mar 16 2014, 12:13am

Post #30 of 32 (2037 views)
Shortcut
He does tell a nice little if bitter joke [In reply to] Can't Post

A bit later on in the Last Debate if you haven't got their yet,
'Surely,' he cried, 'this is the greatest jest in all the history of Gondor that we should ride with seven thousands, scarce as many as a vanguard in it's days of power to assail the mountains and impenetrable gate of the Black Land!'

PhantomS
Rohan

Mar 16 2014, 3:54pm

Post #31 of 32 (2002 views)
Shortcut
The hurts and pains of it all [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas and Gimli may have gotten wounded, but the context of the quote is about captains and knights Of Rohan and Gondor. No one even noticed them until they were walking in Minas Tirith and no one even speaks to them until Imrahil himself notices that Legolas is an Elf. Gimli at least still has a bandaged head from Helm's Deep and it's inconceivable that Legolas isn't also carrying some kind of injury from that battle. Perhaps the bards were seeing Aragorn, Eomer and Imrahil in full mail and missing the other two completely.

Aragorn was quite ready, but he knew the timing was not right to take charge. That's why he camps outside the city and lets Imrahil take formal charge of the city, and also adding that Gandalf is the one who is really in charge. He also puts other layers in place, such as letting Eomer deal with his men and approving Hurin of the Keys as the warden of the city until Faramir is well enough to do it (he does this through Imrahil and Gandalf, presumably). He does not take charge at all until the end of the war.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Mar 22 2014, 5:43pm

Post #32 of 32 (1969 views)
Shortcut
He is the one who really rescued Faramir [In reply to] Can't Post

During the suicide mission to Osgiliath. Imrahil is the brother of Finduilas, deceased wife of lord Denethor. He is The Lord of Dol Amroth and the uncle of Faramir. I liked him too as as a character and was bothered he was cut out. Instead of a gallant rescue we get Faramir being dragged in by a horse?! He obviously was more loving to Faramir than his own father. And I love Faramir.Blush

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.