Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Will Bombur EVER speak ANY line?

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 8 2014, 6:35am

Post #1 of 21 (972 views)
Shortcut
Will Bombur EVER speak ANY line? Can't Post

somehow PJ
iz Holdin' Bombur Back?

As a BomburBro
Bomby needs to know?

1. Will it be Profound?

2. Will it make us CRY?

3. Will it make us Bust a Gut?

4. Will it ...BE a Classic Movie Moment?

5. Will it go down in Cinema History?

"The Riddle of Bombur" gets more interesting
by the Day...

He is our Ace in the Hold.
Classic Clown or Tragic?

Let the Speculation begin...
What say you?

Elizabeth
Valinor

Mar 8 2014, 6:56am

Post #2 of 21 (572 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the videos on the EE mentioned that he had a non-speaking but featured role.

Brandywine
The Shire

Mar 8 2014, 8:53am

Post #3 of 21 (510 views)
Shortcut
Yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

He will have one line at the end of the BOFA.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Mar 8 2014, 12:45pm

Post #4 of 21 (535 views)
Shortcut
I do remember the actor who plays Bombur (Stephen Hunter) mentioning this in the AUJ EE... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but from what I can remember, Hunter was asked if he minded not having many lines and playing more of a sight-gag role. I don't recall if anyone said that he definitely wasn't going to have any lines.

I'm kind of hoping they don't give him any lines until the very end, and then when he does speak he says something profoundly insightful (sorta like Silent Bob, don't know if anyone remembers him).

demnation
Rohan

Mar 8 2014, 2:48pm

Post #5 of 21 (397 views)
Shortcut
I hope so [In reply to] Can't Post

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

Skaan
Lorien

Mar 8 2014, 3:35pm

Post #6 of 21 (414 views)
Shortcut
Well, he did say [In reply to] Can't Post

"Traitor" in AUJ Tongue

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Mar 8 2014, 4:16pm

Post #7 of 21 (419 views)
Shortcut
Now that you mention it [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm kind of hoping they don't give him any lines until the very end, and then when he does speak he says something profoundly insightful

I think I would really like if they played it like that.

keep smiling Smile

Nira
Lorien

Mar 8 2014, 4:26pm

Post #8 of 21 (384 views)
Shortcut
Agreed. I don't see it happening, but if he does say something, it'd better be profound!// [In reply to] Can't Post

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

(This post was edited by Nira on Mar 8 2014, 4:27pm)

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Mar 8 2014, 4:49pm

Post #9 of 21 (389 views)
Shortcut
In the book Bombur has a dialogue with Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

when he sneaks away from Erebor, in order to give the Arkenstone to Thranduil.

It would be canon, it could be funny (I am just thinking of Martin Freeman's range of facial expressions) and Bombur deserves a scene just for him, not a line casually thrown in the middle of a crowded scene.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 8 2014, 4:52pm

Post #10 of 21 (383 views)
Shortcut
In some ways Bombur is... "The Ultimate MisFit" [In reply to] Can't Post

Fat quiet kid noboby would EVER pick
for Basketabll?

But he is put in the Game late
when the Championship is on the line...

Tosses an Impossible Shot
Swish!
Wins the Game!!!

TheCrowd goes WILD!

Nerdz
Need their Day!

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Mar 8 2014, 6:00pm

Post #11 of 21 (342 views)
Shortcut
Bombur should have some lines in 'DoS-EE' [In reply to] Can't Post

That's assuming the EE includes the crossing of the Enchanted Stream and its aftermath.

As pointed out previously, he might have some dialog with Bilbo in TaBA when the hobbit sneaks off to the encamped armies of Men and Elves.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

sycorax82
Rohan

Mar 8 2014, 7:35pm

Post #12 of 21 (314 views)
Shortcut
It would be great if he had a conversation with Bilbo in TABA [In reply to] Can't Post

We've heard Stephen Hunter doing a great Irish accent, in the extras, so why not take the opportunity to use that? I would love it if he started talking to Bilbo and Bilbo actually notes that he's never heard him speak before.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 8 2014, 8:03pm

Post #13 of 21 (310 views)
Shortcut
Bomby Hopes Bombur does a "Face Plant" into [In reply to] Can't Post

The Enchanted Stream...jus' like Frodo
in The Dead Marshes...

Sees Hallucinations of

"Meat right off the Bone?"

Sausage Snakes writhing...
floating... jus' out of reach?

Cheese wheels
ALL.. Dancing in a Row?

When the Dwarves pull him from the Water?

He starts biting everyone on the ARM!
Cross-Eyed?

"Yells out..like Dwalin

"IS there MORE?"

Our Goofy Glutton
....Gotta Love him
Crazy

dik-dik
Lorien

Mar 9 2014, 3:37pm

Post #14 of 21 (215 views)
Shortcut
I totally hope the battlements scene is in TABA. [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean the midnight exchange between Bilbo and Bombur, just before Bilbo slips away into the 'enemy' camp.

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Mar 9 2014, 9:08pm

Post #15 of 21 (190 views)
Shortcut
ROFL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can totally picture that happening. Love it!Laugh

"So fare thee well, my own true love
I'll think of you night and day
A place in my mind, you will surely find
Although I am so far away
And when I'm alone, far away from home
I'll think of the good times once more
Until I can make it back someday here
To Paddy's green shamrock shore"
--The High Kings

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Mar 9 2014, 10:00pm

Post #16 of 21 (182 views)
Shortcut
actually that was Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

But Bombur DID speak in the troll pile up (while they were in the sacks). He said "Untie me mister!"

Not only was that line credited to Bombur, but his voice was not the same as any of the other dwarves in the movies.

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Mar 9 2014, 10:02pm

Post #17 of 21 (190 views)
Shortcut
I hate to burst your bubble Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

Watch AUJ with the subtitles turned on.

Bombur is credited with a line- he says "Untie me mister!" when the dwarves are stacked up in the sacks during the troll sequence. And I don't believe it to be an error in credits- that voice sounded different than ANY of the other dwarves in both AUJ and DOS, so it has to be Bombur speaking it.

But I do think a profound line from him at the end of TABA would be beautiful all the same Evil

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Mar 9 2014, 11:54pm

Post #18 of 21 (173 views)
Shortcut
I have a nasty feeling [In reply to] Can't Post

That this particular scene will not be in and Bilbo's generosity of spirit will be shown differently

Bombadil
Half-elven

Mar 10 2014, 3:30am

Post #19 of 21 (158 views)
Shortcut
Bombyzz Bubble Burst Long Ago? [In reply to] Can't Post

Cris love to see you!
Idaho is a Fav of Bomby's

(Goldberry was from Idaho Falls!)
So Close to Canada!
Coooolest Country
in the Whole World.

Bombur will Hold a Special Place
in All of our Hearts...jus' because he is...Bombur

SH owns Bombur...what a Burden to BEAR?Heart

Cirashala
Grey Havens

Mar 10 2014, 7:25am

Post #20 of 21 (150 views)
Shortcut
Cris? [In reply to] Can't Post

Erm, it's Cira Wink

I'm female Smile

My friend's family is from Blackfoot, but I am in the panhandle about an hour away from Canada Cool

I love Bombur's character too- SH is such a great actor (they all are!) and I got so many tiny tidbits and things for my fan fic just by watching his body language and listening to people (and watching with subtitles, as it expands the characters a LOT when you can see what's difficult to hear- there's a LOT of characterization that comes out with the subtitles, including Bombur's line).

With all of the cast- their body language speaks volumes when words/dialogue is not present. They NEVER break out of character on screen, and it's a joy to watch. I have gleaned SO much just by watching, and wearing out my pause/play button (this is particularly helpful during chaotic scenes, such as when the company first gets captured in GT).

Just because Bombur's quiet (I can be pretty quiet too, so I can sympathize) doesn't mean that a LOT of his personality and general demeanor doesn't come out in his non-verbal actions.

But yes he does have at least one line so far Wink

dik-dik
Lorien

Mar 10 2014, 12:14pm

Post #21 of 21 (144 views)
Shortcut
Any spoiler that makes you assume that? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm holding out to hope regarding the inclusion of this scene, but if there's anything that suggests otherwise, I'd like to know so that I'm prepared in December. :P

"A journalist once asked me what I would like my epitaph to be and I said I think I would like it to be 'He did very little harm'. And that's not easy. Most people seem to me to do a great deal of harm. If I could be remembered as having done very little, that would suit me." ~ Paul Eddington

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.