Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How will our heroes die?

boldog
Rohan

Mar 8 2014, 1:18am

Post #1 of 15 (781 views)
Shortcut
How will our heroes die? Can't Post

Ive been thinking of this a lot, and its just something that should be dealt with uniquely. I hate how in so many movies an arrow, or multiple, is the way people die dramatically. But considering now that we have three definite, and maybe two others, by what injuries will they die from? I hope each one is different to the other.
Radagast, if he dies, might be killed by some act of sorcery
Tauriel, if she dies could be shot with an arrow
Kili/fili, could be struck with multiple blows from weapons
Thorin, will be mortally stabbed with azogs claw, or his mace

Thoughts? by What injuries will bring death to our heroes

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

Yngwulff
Gondor

Mar 8 2014, 2:55am

Post #2 of 15 (414 views)
Shortcut
Like the Bon Jovi song [In reply to] Can't Post

Shot down in a blaze of glory ...

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Beorn's Bees
Rivendell

Mar 8 2014, 3:12am

Post #3 of 15 (462 views)
Shortcut
Richard Armitage [In reply to] Can't Post

said that Thorin dies in basically an act of suicide. That sounds interesting, and certainly different than any Middle Earth death thus far...

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Mar 8 2014, 5:14am

Post #4 of 15 (398 views)
Shortcut
As long as.... [In reply to] Can't Post

They don't botch it like they did with Kirk's character (falling off a scaffolding. Really.) I'll be good. He should go out in glory. I know he will and it will be great.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

boldog
Rohan

Mar 8 2014, 5:57am

Post #5 of 15 (395 views)
Shortcut
But what does he do that seems suicidal? [In reply to] Can't Post

Confront Azog? Charge through the ranks, in hurin style?

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

Plurmo
Rohan

Mar 8 2014, 6:59am

Post #6 of 15 (395 views)
Shortcut
With a last statement [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn: "there's always hope!"
Treebeard: "there's always smoke!"
Sam: "there's always rope!"
Radagast: "there's always dope!"
Thorin: "there's always Bolg!"

Things like that.

CathrineB
Rohan

Mar 8 2014, 7:33am

Post #7 of 15 (382 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog finally cuts off Thorin's head

Laugh

Nah seriously i don't think that'll happen as it's one thing to see a beheaded character you don't care much for. A completely another to see the beheaded character of someone you have learned to know. Both are terrible, but you've invested much more in Thorin afterall. Can't imagine PJ going that brutal in these movies.

A bunch of arrows and sword and too much slow mo? I'm not a fan of slow mo and although I love LotR and the Hobbit - the slow mo isn't always a good thing and PJ loves it too much.

Kelly of Water's Edge
Lorien

Mar 8 2014, 1:54pm

Post #8 of 15 (352 views)
Shortcut
Very interesting indeed. (Major book spoilers ahead) [In reply to] Can't Post

I always thought the general tone of Thorin's deathbed conversation with Bilbo implied that he never knew about Filli and Killi. Is this a hint that he may indeed see Filli and Killi go down trying to shield him, and fall into despair at that point?

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Mar 8 2014, 4:21pm

Post #9 of 15 (304 views)
Shortcut
I've wondered too [In reply to] Can't Post

...if Thorin will know about Fili and Kili this time. If so, as you say, it could imply he gives in to despair or perhaps he makes an attempt on the battle field to reach them? Knowing he is, in effect, sacrificing himself? Hmmm...so many questions and probably no answers until the movie comes out Wink

keep smiling Smile

Nira
Lorien

Mar 8 2014, 4:22pm

Post #10 of 15 (301 views)
Shortcut
morbid topic, but I'll bite... [In reply to] Can't Post

We've already had the slow-mo arrow death of Boromir and Kili got an arrow to the leg. I think Thorin will get something different. It won't be due to poison because too many elves are around to heal him. I guess stabbed some place lethal, but not immediately so, like the abdomen. He has to have time to talk with Bilbo, unless they change things a lot and move their convo to during the battle, say post-Fili/Kili.

I agree with you about slow-motion. Too cheesy dramatic, but it'll probably happen a couple times.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Mar 8 2014, 4:44pm

Post #11 of 15 (309 views)
Shortcut
There's a huge amount of fanart about it [In reply to] Can't Post

unfortunately, and the favourite weapon seems to be the arrow, or multiple arrows.
There's an infamous, heartwrenching, colour-enhanced drawing with Fili staring upwards, with his neck pierced by a single arrow (my heart skipped multiple beats when I saw it, so I won't send any link to itCrazy).
Fili and Kili are usually together, by the way.
This time we have the variable of Tauriel's eventual death: I hope she won't die, only because these three deaths are enough, in my opinion.

I'll try and make my guess (erm.. that is the most painful topic ever, for me...):
-either Kili or Fili suddenly, unexpectedly (no mutilations, I think, because it would spoil the funeral scene Evil)
- the surviving one does not realize it, because he is busy defending Thorin, but sooner or later he finds out.

It is possible that Thorin is wounded before the death of his surviving nephew, and that Fili/Kili gets killed just in order to protect his wounded uncle. That's where Thorin's almost suicidal feat may happen.

Tauriel can play a part in the middle, but I really have no idea when or where. Some weeks ago a thread was published about the possibility of a kiss between Kili and Tauriel: well, in that case, please not after Kili's death!!!

I am very depressedShockedUnsure

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Mar 8 2014, 6:12pm

Post #12 of 15 (314 views)
Shortcut
Our three Fated Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
unfortunately, and the favourite weapon seems to be the arrow, or multiple arrows.
There's an infamous, heartwrenching, colour-enhanced drawing with Fili staring upwards, with his neck pierced by a single arrow (my heart skipped multiple beats when I saw it, so I won't send any link to itCrazy).
Fili and Kili are usually together, by the way.

Thorin, Fili and Kili should die (or be mortally wounded in Thorin's case) in close-combat, so probably no arrows for any of them. Thorin has to hang on long enough to give his final words to Bilbo.

Tauriel is anyone's guess. Although if she survives and is revealed to be pregnant with Kili's child then Peter Jackson better be prepared to refund my money. In person.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Kilidoescartwheels
Gondor

Mar 9 2014, 4:19am

Post #13 of 15 (227 views)
Shortcut
My guess based on interviews [In reply to] Can't Post

I read somewhere that Aidan Turner said his death wasn't really heroic, which makes me think he will die first, probably killed by an arrow. I could see Thorin screaming in rage, charging toward the Orc (Bolg, maybe?) with Fili & Dwalin close behind. Thorin will be run through by Bolg, who will then be killed by Beorn. I think Dain will probably kill Azog, which will solidify his claim as heir to the throne. Not sure what will happen with Fili, and I sure hope Dwalin survives.

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Mar 9 2014, 4:32am

Post #14 of 15 (212 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Azog will menace a mortally-wounded Thorin from wargback, readying his mace for the killing blow(enough with this "bring me his head" nonsense) when Dain bursts through the elite bodyguard with Beorn. Dain on warpig will confront Azog on warg. Beorn will meanwhile scoop up thorin in his paws and whisk him away.

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

Hamfast Gamgee
Gondor

Mar 9 2014, 12:37pm

Post #15 of 15 (190 views)
Shortcut
I shudder to think [In reply to] Can't Post

What effect that would have on the Durin line!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.