Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
General Thoughts on DoS

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 6 2014, 7:28pm

Post #1 of 12 (848 views)
Shortcut
General Thoughts on DoS Can't Post

Since it finally quit snowing around here for more than five minutes, I went to my local second-run theater for possibly my last big-screen viewing of DOS, and had a few thoughts jump out at me…

Is there some kind of connection between Bilbo fingering his ring and the “eye” symbol on the statue at the entrance of Mirkwood? (I mean, besides the connection we are supposed to make in our minds between his mysterious ring and Evil!) The drums in the score (which continue until Gandalf rides off) would suggest so, as would Gandalf’s sudden decision to go to the High Fells to see what the Necromancer is up to...

The Dwarves working together to fight the spiders for their mutual survival was an interesting contrast with Bilbo off on his own fighting the woodlouse creature for possession of the Ring (“Mine!”).

If Bilbo had thought out the barrels escape a bit more and been able to escape at the same time as they did, he would have bought them more time to escape because 1. they wouldn’t have had to wait for him at the bottom of the drop, and 2. Tauriel wouldn’t have seen the ramp closing and figured out how the Dwarves escaped quite so quickly, then warned the Elves at the far river gate to close it.

I noticed Ori punching an Orc at the water gate. Go, little dude! Cool

Once Kili gets the gate open again, some of the Dwarves, including Fili with Kili’s barrel, are able to hold up to wait for him. How do they escape the current?

I am more convinced than ever that Tauriel left the Elvenking’s halls when he told her to go, and not after his command that no one is to leave. I’m gathering this because the Elf who tells Legolas she’s gone says “she has not returned,” as if she’s been gone awhile, and as if he didn’t see her go in a fit of disobedient sulks but rather expected her to return. Legolas, however, seems to assume the worst. She doesn’t address the issue, saying only that she won’t return because she couldn’t live with herself if she did.

I noticed the many waterfalls in the background at the High Fells. Pretty.

I thought Radagast was really adorable in this movie—not so much in AUJ, IMO.

No one else in Thorin’s company (including Bilbo) objects to leaving Kili behind besides Fili.

Gandalf did not seem to expect that he’d be confronting a Sauron able to take a physical form, even though he knows “the Enemy” has been preparing for war…

If the Dwarves are so worried about the setting sun shining on the gray stone, why don’t they get out of the way of the sun so they’re not casting their shadows on it? Tongue

Fili doesn’t seem to ever complain—I noticed this when the others complain in Mirkwood, when Bilbo leads them into the Elven cellars, and when they get their “weapons” from Bard. He does get plenty of mileage out of nonverbals, though!

I love Thorin’s careful breathing as he stoops to pick up the key under his boot, as if it’s the most precious and fragile thing in the world…

It’s a nice transition between Smaug’s “no blade can pierce me” directly to Bard holding the Black Arrow. Blatant foreshadowing, anyone? Wink

Is Bolg going to bite Legolas’s neck during their fight? Maybe I’ve seen too many vampire movie trailers. Crazy

Nori has a couple of hero moments during the fight with Smaug when he rescues Thorin! Yay! Spread the glory around, I say.

Speaking of heroic, I hope Bombur will be rewarded with a solid gold cushion for his efforts at the bellows of the Dwarven forges. Ouch!! (Bomby, would you say battered Bombur has a bruised bum?) Laugh

It seems pretty certain to me that an envoy of Sauron has been in contact somehow with Smaug, since Smaug says “a darkness is coming,” just as does the Orc Thranduil kills.

I suppose we are meant to assume that anything that is reflected on someone’s face/in their eyes is a sign of greed…? The gold from the Dwarven statue is reflected not only in Smaug’s eyes but also on his face, which turns a bit golden. (See also Thrain, Thranduil.) Thorin gives the treasure a good look when he first gets inside the treasure hall, but I didn't notice any reflection at that point.

P.S. For some reason in this theater the 3D seemed to be inverted, as if the background was jumping out rather than the foreground. I don’t know much about the technical aspect of 3D—would that mean that the theater had the right/left camera mixed up or something? It was not that big a deal to simply turn my 3D glasses upside down and watch it that way since I was in the front of the theater and nobody could see just how geeky I probably looked. (Heck, I probably looked geeky without the glasses… Angelic)

"My chief objection to a quarrel is that it ends a good argument." --G.K. Chesterton

(This post was edited by Riven Delve on Mar 6 2014, 7:36pm)

Kim
Valinor

Mar 6 2014, 8:14pm

Post #2 of 12 (434 views)
Shortcut
A few thoughts on your thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

If the Dwarves are so worried about the setting sun shining on the gray stone, why don’t they get out of the way of the sun so they’re not casting their shadows on it? Tongue

Yes! I wondered that too. During the movie, I was always thinking, "Thorin, get out of the way! You're blocking the light and they keyhole is probably right in front of you!"

I love Thorin’s careful breathing as he stoops to pick up the key under his boot, as if it’s the most precious and fragile thing in the world…

Yeah, me too, as well as the look on his face right after as he catches Bilbo's eye.

I suppose we are meant to assume that anything that is reflected on someone’s face/in their eyes is a sign of greed…? The gold from the Dwarven statue is reflected not only in Smaug’s eyes but also on his face, which turns a bit golden. (See also Thrain, Thranduil.) Thorin gives the treasure a good look when he first gets inside the treasure hall, but I didn't notice any reflection at that point.

Interesting thought about the reflection. I was never sure about the look on Thorin's face when he first gets inside - is he just overwhelmed at being inside his home after all this time, or is he being drawn in by the gold?

Thanks for the thoughts - glad you go the opportunity to get out and about and see the movie in the theater again. Smile

“As such, you will address His Majesty as His Majesty, the Lord of Silver Fountains, the King of Carven Stone, the King Beneath the Mountain, the Lion of Erebor, the High King of the Dwarves, the True Treasure of Erebor, the Face that Launched 10,000 Sighs, or Thorin the Majestic..."

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=719226;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed

Elarie
Gondor

Mar 6 2014, 8:27pm

Post #3 of 12 (398 views)
Shortcut
DOS is finally opening at our cheap theater tomorrow [In reply to] Can't Post

At last - so more viewings to come!

About Bilbo and the barrels - they probably would have gotten away faster, but it would have been slightly disappointing if the movie hadn't made a little nod to Bilbo forgetting to plan his own escape.

Also, if the elves weren't chasing the dwarves, the dwarves would have faced the orcs all alone and with no weapons (except for Bombur, of course). And then Legolas and Tauriel never would have fought the orcs, or captured one, and Tauriel wouldn't have gone chasing the orcs alone, and then she and Legolas never would have ended up in Laketown, and Kili would have died… Yikes! It's like dominoes falling once you start thinking about it.

So once again Bilbo saved the day! Smile

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 6 2014, 8:39pm

Post #4 of 12 (407 views)
Shortcut
Let's "face" it-- [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Yeah, me too, as well as the look on his face right after as he catches Bilbo's eye.

Let's just admit here and now that we love all the looks on Thorin's face. CoolWink

In Reply To
I was never sure about the look on Thorin's face when he first gets inside - is he just overwhelmed at being inside his home after all this time, or is he being drawn in by the gold?

Yes--don't forget that it's right after he sees all the treasure that he has his holding-Bilbo-at-swordpoint moment. Food for thought...

I also noticed that on the doorstep Thorin slaps the treasure map into Bilbo's chest just as he did with the contract in AUJ. And those are relatively friendly moments! I wonder what Bilbo will get slapped into him in TABA--a mithril coat?
Wink

"My chief objection to a quarrel is that it ends a good argument." --G.K. Chesterton

(This post was edited by Riven Delve on Mar 6 2014, 8:41pm)

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 6 2014, 8:47pm

Post #5 of 12 (381 views)
Shortcut
About those Orcs... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking maybe the Dwarves could "outfloat" the Orcs if they got past the gates, but you're right...they probably would have been lying in wait for them along the way. And even Bombur would have been a mere crushing barrel rather than a crushing barrel bristling with weapons! Wink

But don't forget they still had Sting! The pressure would really have been on for Bilbo to save the day in that case! Shocked

Hope you get out to see DoS at least one more time, Elarie!

(This post was edited by Riven Delve on Mar 6 2014, 8:56pm)

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Mar 6 2014, 10:12pm

Post #6 of 12 (353 views)
Shortcut
You picked up [In reply to] Can't Post

...on some neat things! Makes me want to see it again so I can catch those little moments and other things I haven't noticed yet! That's one thing I love about all these movies: You can watch them over and over and over and still find something new each time Smile

keep smiling Smile

Avandel
Valinor

Mar 6 2014, 11:49pm

Post #7 of 12 (315 views)
Shortcut
that mystical state when watching DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

Nice to know I'm not the only one who notices Thorin breathing as the key is picked up - and I thought to myself then, as I forgot to breathe myself, that this is the only actor I've even known whose very breathing sounds like music. LOL, I could write a song.HeartHeartHeart

A random thought occurring at the moment is that I can't wait to get the DVD as there are some nifty fighting moments with the dwarves and the spiders, but it goes by so fast - Dwalin just punching a spider cracks me up. Another is Thorin rocks in that he didn't step back from Thranduil with that scar and all, but I wonder what Thorin is thinking. Possibly not that impressed since Thorin's seen dragonfire, battles and lots of nasty things. Oh, and did Thorin ever get to eat his bread and cheese in Bree, because he sure didn't get much at Bilbo's.

Another random thought is that it will take me 9 hours to get through the DOS DVD, better order some pizza and tell everyone to leave me alone, I'm "sick".

Oh, and I'd like to wander about the junk shop where the tapestry is. And get the tapestry, one way or the other.

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2014, 12:47pm

Post #8 of 12 (198 views)
Shortcut
DVD moments [In reply to] Can't Post

I've already got some scenes I'm planning to pause or watch frame-by-frame: The junk shop (I want to see the tapestry, but also what that sign above the proprietor says!); the barrel scene--I'm going to try to track where/how each Dwarf gets his weapons and what he does with them; the fight scene in Bard's house--what are the Dwarves and kids doing while the Elves and Orcs are destroying the house? Wink

In Reply To
Oh, and did Thorin ever get to eat his bread and cheese in Bree, because he sure didn't get much at Bilbo's.

His Majesticness is apparently a light eater. He didn't eat anything at Beorn's either! Maybe in the EE we'll get to see him eating at the Master's feast at Laketown. Laugh

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 7 2014, 12:56pm

Post #9 of 12 (206 views)
Shortcut
Definitely! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You can watch them over and over and over and still find something new each time Smile

Exactly! And I also look forward to the DVD, when I can go over gramma's Geeky Observations List! http://newboards.theonering.net/...observations;#697419

Avandel
Valinor

Mar 8 2014, 7:21pm

Post #10 of 12 (119 views)
Shortcut
PS. more dwarves in TABA - hope! [In reply to] Can't Post

Q: Can you tell us what the pick-up shoot was about? RA:" It was work to expand on each character with as much detail as possible. The work was to make the second film perfect. In other words, it was like working to sharpen the blade. The last two weeks were like a three-legged race between Peter and me. Under extreme conditions, I think our mutual trust pulled us through."

This is a quote from a translation of a Japanese article on richardarmitag.net. It's obvious in DOS there are happily more shots of Fili, and use of the dwarves in general including the genius use of Bombur.

But I know the last week of the pickups were "wall to wall dwarves". And this quote just feels to me as though PJ spent a lot of time with RA and the dwarves, so happily for me as with DOS hopefully there will be lots of Thorin and company in the last film. This might seem kind of obvious re TABA, but with everything that needs to get covered I still want to see each dwarf get their "hero moment" in TABA as earlier articles had said.

But speaking of random thoughts as many times as I've seen it, don't think the entry to Erebor could possibly have been done any better. The voice work from RA of course, Ken Stott - I even think Gloin's gravellly Scottish accent reading the inscription was a wonderful accent, a dwarf who had given much to go on this journey. The pacing of the whole scene - any time I've seen this in theaters the whole theater is perfectly quiet - think that scene speaks to everyone.

Riven Delve
Grey Havens

Mar 9 2014, 5:46pm

Post #11 of 12 (81 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I really hope this is true [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
But I know the last week of the pickups were "wall to wall dwarves". And this quote just feels to me as though PJ spent a lot of time with RA and the dwarves, so happily for me as with DOS hopefully there will be lots of Thorin and company in the last film. This might seem kind of obvious re TABA, but with everything that needs to get covered I still want to see each dwarf get their "hero moment" in TABA as earlier articles had said.

I really feel that after all we have invested in the Dwarves, that they each should get a special spotlight moment--if not in BOFA, then sometime in TABA! Cool

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 18 2014, 4:28pm

Post #12 of 12 (41 views)
Shortcut
I've got some great Geeky Observations from this thread for our lists. Thanks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.