Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Your passion for LotR
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Ufthak
Rivendell

Mar 8 2014, 8:57pm

Post #26 of 34 (125 views)
Shortcut
I'll give that one a 'no'. [In reply to] Can't Post

I first read the books aged about nine or ten - I was certainly in primary school - and I absolutely loved them. They had a massive effect on my reading and my imagination.

I was 19 when the first movie came out and had discovered this place about eighteen months previously when I was looking for casting news and so on. I was still passionate about the stories then - certainly passionate enough to get angry about Nuclear Galadriel, Elves At Helm's Deep and Deserting Sam! However, my tastes had started to change, and have changed further to this day.

I love the stories for what they meant to me, but I can't get as excited these days because my vision of what makes a good story is so very different to LotR: I don't like Good vs Evil heroic fantasy, with underdog heroes and menacing Dark Lords, and sentimentality and ancestral power attached to the line of kings. I prefer realism in my fantasy, as odd as that seems; flawed protagonists, antagonists with redeeming features, the whole mess of who is Wrong and who is Right largely boiling down to individual perspective and there being no way that being born into the right family gives you the right to rule over others.

I still respect the stories and Tolkien's world, and I do enjoy re-reading them or watching the movies (most parts of them, anyway...), but for all the depth of Middle-Earth I can only view it these days as a children's morality tale, and a hankering for Days Gone By which never truly were (which I view to be blinkering and damaging in itself, no matter where I find it).

"Who the hell are you?" he growled.
"I the hell am Harry," I said.
He pulled out his own gym bag and slammed the car door closed. "You always a wiseass?"
"No. Sometimes I'm asleep."

-Harry Dresden, 'Blood Rites', A Novel of The Dresden Files

Tigero
Rivendell

Mar 9 2014, 11:38am

Post #27 of 34 (102 views)
Shortcut
Level: religious? [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess i'm not the biggest fan, but ME is an endless well of happiness for me, it's more personal rather than social thing. It has changed me, without it i wouldn't be smoking a pipe, enjoying hobbity things and probably wouldn't be in school on the audiovisual industry, chasing my fantasy movie dreams.

Pessimists have no disappointments.

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 10 2014, 2:43am

Post #28 of 34 (79 views)
Shortcut
The passion ebbs and flows. [In reply to] Can't Post

The love is constant.

Brothers, sisters,
I was Elf once.
We danced together
Under the Two Trees.
We sang as the soft gold of Laurelin
And the bright silver of Telperion,
Brought forth the dawn of the world.
Then I was taken.

Brothers, sisters,
In my torment I kept faith,
And I waited.
But you never came.
And when I returned you drew sword,
And when I called your names you drew bow.
Was my Eldar beauty all,
And my soul nothing?

So be it.
I will return your hatred,
And I am hungry.

zarabia
Grey Havens

Mar 10 2014, 3:20am

Post #29 of 34 (76 views)
Shortcut
My relationship with the films... [In reply to] Can't Post

was like a passionate affair that was all consuming and hot-burning. And as such, the fire has burned itself out. I can look at screen caps and see clips and still have fond feelings for the films, but the passion just isn't there anymore. It makes me sad because they meant so much to me, and hopefully one day I'll be able to enjoy watching them again. But for now, I just can't sit through any of them without seeing only the flaws or getting antsy. Unsure

As for the books, it's true love. My feelings for them have never been as intense as for the films, but they are true and enduring. Each time I read them I find something new to appreciate. EvilHeart

Only when we stop stopping our lives can we begin to start starting them. - Prof. Whitman, Community

demnation
Rohan

Mar 10 2014, 3:57am

Post #30 of 34 (74 views)
Shortcut
Interesting point [In reply to] Can't Post

I often find that LOTR ages like fine wine for most people, myself included. Let me put it this way: I sometimes wish that it was a simple children's morality tale, because then it would be much easier for me to ignore it. But every time I open it, I find it to be much more layered and nuanced and far less black and white than it is often given credit for. (Not criticizing your opinion or saying you are wrong, btw. Just pointing out differences in perspective.)

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

Theodora
The Shire

Mar 11 2014, 9:06pm

Post #31 of 34 (53 views)
Shortcut
Still a fan [In reply to] Can't Post

Ever since my dad gave me The Fellowship when I was fifteen (many years ago). I don't know how often I've read LOTR and the Sil. The Hobbit I enjoyed less, but I love the movies so far.
I still watch LOTR every year. At the moment I am reading Tolkien's letters, they are so beautifully written and contain so much information.
So no, the passion will not go away.

Bracegirdle
Grey Havens

Mar 14 2014, 7:10am

Post #32 of 34 (33 views)
Shortcut
There's gold in them thar hills [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank goodness for the appendices, which allowed me to slowly detach from Middle-earth.
---------------------------------------------------------------

The Appendices? Therein lies much gold !! No "detachment" for me....

From World's End then he turned away,
and yearned again to find afar .
his home through shadows journeying,
and burning as an island star . . .

-Bilbo Baggins

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Mar 14 2014, 5:10pm

Post #33 of 34 (27 views)
Shortcut
Yes, exactly! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Thank goodness for the appendices, which allowed me to slowly detach from Middle-earth.

One needs to ease out of Middle-earth. Just quitting cold turkey leads to withdrawal symptoms.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

BlackFox
Valinor

Mar 14 2014, 5:15pm

Post #34 of 34 (35 views)
Shortcut
Hear! Hear! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere." - Albert Einstein

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.