Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Final Spurt: The Box Office of DOS (Part Two)
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Kristin Thompson
Rohan

Mar 7 2014, 9:36pm

Post #51 of 61 (248 views)
Shortcut
Fair enough [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the big Hollywood studios tend to think in total grosses as their main criterion, but clearly they keep track of things like the foreign market and adjust to them. No doubt films make a much bigger percentage of their total income from markets outside North America than they used to, which is another factor.

shadowdog
Rohan

Mar 8 2014, 1:05am

Post #52 of 61 (238 views)
Shortcut
Hollywood studios [In reply to] Can't Post

only calculate profit or loss for each film when it is released. They don't care what past films would do in today's dollars. The size of the profit they earned for a film is all that matters.

imin
Valinor

Mar 8 2014, 8:23pm

Post #53 of 61 (174 views)
Shortcut
Good work [In reply to] Can't Post

these are the true figures.

It's a shame as it would be nice to know the series went from strength to strength but at the same time it's good to know that even with inflated tickets from 3D, HFR and IMAX, quality shines through and the general public can see that.

Saying that i wouldn't call making a billion dollars a flop. I am a bit surprised DOS didnt make it over 1 billion but i think it was effected by AUJ. I expect TABA to get over the billion dollar mark as it's the last one in the franchise and hopefully will go out with a bang!

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 8 2014, 11:45pm

Post #54 of 61 (156 views)
Shortcut
I'm not surprised at all [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think DoS was affected by AUJ. Had people not liked AUJ, sales of the DVD well after AUJ came out would not have been as huge as they were. AUJ just had more heart than DoS, and fewer really stupid scenes like the comic-book ninja elf ones in DoS, which were a turn-off for many people. The marketing of DoS featuring mainly non-canon characters! was also truly dreadful.

In Reply To
I am a bit surprised DOS didnt make it over 1 billion but i think it was effected by AUJ.

Kendalf
Rohan

Mar 9 2014, 12:37am

Post #55 of 61 (144 views)
Shortcut
Correct [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I am a bit surprised DOS didnt make it over 1 billion but i think it was effected by AUJ.

True. There is no more convincing and unarguable summation of the general public's reaction to AUJ than DoS's takings...

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Kendalf
Rohan

Mar 9 2014, 12:44am

Post #56 of 61 (145 views)
Shortcut
Incorrect [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(DoS had) really stupid scenes like the comic-book ninja elf ones..., which were a turn-off for many people. The marketing of DoS featuring mainly non-canon characters! was also truly dreadful.

In my opinion, the emphasis on Legolas and Tauriel had no bearing whatsoever on DoS's takings, neither did its "over the top" stunts of which AUJ had plenty.

The film was quite plainly, quite evidently, quite obviously, a sequel to AUJ no matter who was on the posters...and many thousands of viewers chose not to return...

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Thyia
Bree

Mar 9 2014, 9:20am

Post #57 of 61 (131 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely agree... [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, the Goblin underground scenes in AUJ were way more off-putting than any single scene in DOS. Talk about comic-book and unbelievable. Ninja elves? The stunts that Legolas and Tauriel do in DOS are no more than we've already been shown that elves are capable of in previous films. They were not a turn-off, nor unexpected for many people. It would have been more unexpected if they hadn't done as much as they had in the movie. I actually think they were a draw for many people after the slowness of AUJ - though I did enjoy AUJ thoroughly.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Mar 9 2014, 12:11pm

Post #58 of 61 (115 views)
Shortcut
Well, let's agree to disagree, then it's a matter of opinion, isn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Legolas looked dreadful (terrible CGI on his face, appeared much older than in LotR), and that his personality (unpleasant, petty), obviously CGI actions in a strangely empty Lake-town (plus jumping on Dwarves' heads), and generally poorly acted, pointless scenes were a turn-off and did much to mar the film for me. Giving this non-canon character (in the Hobbit books) so much screen time also took away from scenes that may have at least have had some interest and 'heart' in them, e.g. with Beorn, Bilbo, Gandalf and the Dwarves, etc. The actors playing these roles can at least act and are a pleasure to watch.

For me Legolas's fake-looking ninja-elf activities in DoS were far worse than anything in AUJ, including the Goblin sequence, which I actually enjoyed. They were even worse than his CGI activities in the LotR films, which is saying something.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Mar 9 2014, 12:15pm)

imin
Valinor

Mar 9 2014, 12:34pm

Post #59 of 61 (106 views)
Shortcut
They were bad scenes [In reply to] Can't Post

But to know that someone has to have seen the film in the first place.

In reality AUJ didn't do as well as any of the LOTR films either critically or at the box office. Lots of people will have gone and thought it wasn't that great and so gave DOS a miss, happens all the time.

This is not saying AUJ was a bad film to everyone, clearly that isn't the case but it definitely has more detractors than any of the lotr films and i also think the marketing for these films has not been to the same standard but ultimately people voted with their money and didn't return to M-e for either Hobbit film as much as LOTR for various reasons and even less returned for DOS. DOS in particular on here which is very much a PJ fan site compared to other Tolkien sites got heavy criticism, maybe these are the same people who loved AUJ and went to watch AUJ 1234 times but only saw DOS 1-3 times? Maybe that has an effect?

Overall 900+ million dollars is still an unbelievably high number but in relation to the other M-e films it does fall short and personally i thought it would make as much if not a little more than AUJ. Smile

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

ShireHorse
Rohan

Mar 9 2014, 1:17pm

Post #60 of 61 (109 views)
Shortcut
Wow, so sweeping, Kendalf. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can think of a million reasons as to why DoS has not done as well as AUJ and a lot of them have nothing to do with AUJ. People pick up on their pet peeve and say THAT is why it was a 'failure'.

Well, first of all, I'd like to get something out of the way: why is this BO discussion always centres on the American BO? It's quite offensive to us non-Americans. The rest of the world brings in three times as much and we seem to have either enjoyed DoS as much and, even in many cases, a lot more.

It is the Americans who appear to be walking to a different drum. They have let the side down and I'm very disappointed in them, LOL! I reckon that, at the end of the day, if the missing American millions were added to the final count, DoS would also be over a billion.

It would be far more interesting to discuss why America didn't flock to see DoS in as large numbers as the rest of us when the rest of the world were not put off by all the things that have been held up here as objects of odium and reasons for failure. Are Americans more clever/insightful/sophisticated than us? These are things we need to know. But, it does make me think that the weather just might have made a dent in BO takings in the States.

I can only speak from personal experience. I only ever go to see a film once at the theatre. AUJ persuaded me to go three times because of the 48 fps. I saw it in 3 different formats and thoroughly enjoyed all viewings. However, with DoS, having decided that I loved the HFR, I only saw it twice in this format and I shall now wait for further viewings on my new 3D TV. This last has also influenced the number of times I have decided to go to the theatre. I liked both films almost equally for different reasons although I did slightly prefer AUJ.

There, those are my reasons to explain why WB didn't get so much money out of me this time, although they will make a profit when I buy the 3D version of DoS.

shadowdog
Rohan

Mar 9 2014, 3:39pm

Post #61 of 61 (105 views)
Shortcut
I have the same question [In reply to] Can't Post

I am in America but have also wondered why Americans and the American press judge a movie by domestic box office and ignore total box office. I have been told that Hollywood and the studios are American and that they judge by how much money a film makes here in America. If this is true, then they (the studios) are stupid given the fact that for at least the last decade, films make more money overseas then they do domestically. I don't think they are stupid. To them money is money and all money is good and a measure of if they will make a profit which to them is the bottom line. This can also be seen in the fact that movies spend less time in theaters these days. The amount going to studios decreases week by week; so, they want to get into the newer revenue sources as soon as possible: streaming, pay per view, Netflix, DVD etc.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.