Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Have you ever sought information about your ancestors on Ancestry.com?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: Have you ever sought information about your ancestors on Ancestry.com?
Yes 15 / 45%
No 13 / 39%
I plan to one day 4 / 12%
Not really interested 1 / 3%
33 total votes

Patty
Immortal

Mar 9 2014, 4:45am

Post #76 of 82 (348 views)
Shortcut
Back to the Norman conquest. That would be awesome. [In reply to] Can't Post

But in addition to just names, as Magpie says family stories are really precious and need to be passed down. Imagine how many stories all those ancestors of yours could tell.

wonderinglinguist
Lorien

Mar 10 2014, 4:56pm

Post #77 of 82 (350 views)
Shortcut
Yes, though [In reply to] Can't Post

I never paid for anything, just did the basic searches.

I first started looking into my family tree when I was a teenager. I've always been interested in that kind of thing, which is apparently uncommon, in youths at least? The topic fascinates me, so I would often ask new friends what their ethnic background was and it never ceased to amaze me when someone didn't know and didn't seem to care.

Anyway, my mother's side is already extensively researched, so I would check Ancestry.com for the few people whose parents were unknown, but that's it. My father's side is from Eastern Europe and there are no records I could find reaching beyond my great grandparents. Unfortunately, it seems they just didn't keep records like other countries, plus I think the church had burned down so any records would have been destroyed.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Mar 10 2014, 9:09pm

Post #78 of 82 (509 views)
Shortcut
I just heard an ad on the radio that Ancestry.com is having a free trial weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

this weekend. (March 15th).
Maybe now is the time to get all your questions answered for free!

Patty
Immortal

Mar 10 2014, 9:29pm

Post #79 of 82 (325 views)
Shortcut
Good luck. But... [In reply to] Can't Post

You're still going to have to put your credit card information in there. That was something I didn't want to do, so I got one of those prepaid ones with the money that my nephew gave me for my ancestry membership.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 10 2014, 9:33pm

Post #80 of 82 (332 views)
Shortcut
It would be wise to keep in mind... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that how these things usually works is you sign up for an account complete with credit card info. The credit card is not billed until the free time period is up but the acct holder has to cancel the account before the billing begins.

Lots of people sign up for a 'free time period' and then forget to cancel and if they aren't checking their credit card accounts closely, they may not even realize they're getting charged.

This is also true if you sign up. If you sign up for a year, it doesn't expire when that year is up. You have to cancel a certain number of days before the end of that term or you will be billed for the next year. For lots of people, that is the entire year's subscription that they bill for.

I hate to warn people off on the complaints I've read online about this site because I suppose even the best company gets some complaints and I've only seen the complaints and have no idea what percentage these make up of the entire customer base.

But I would caution people to very carefully check the terms and services of the account before 'signing up' and if they cancel, keep all records of the cancellation process and then to carefully monitor their credit/debit card account.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Mar 10 2014, 9:33pm)

Patty
Immortal

Mar 10 2014, 9:37pm

Post #81 of 82 (329 views)
Shortcut
Good advice. [In reply to] Can't Post

They sent me a notification when my two months was up because they couldn't charge that prepaid card. So my membership is now defunct. But I don't have to worry about anything happening on a "real" credit card.

Escapist
Gondor

Mar 13 2014, 1:01pm

Post #82 of 82 (335 views)
Shortcut
I have researched the Welsh Thomas's a bit [In reply to] Can't Post

but I cannot confirm that there is a link between my own family and any of their important historical figures. If there is such a link it would almost certainly be with the Welsh Thomas family line. It is a bit of a crapshoot, though, because Thomas became such a popular family name among the Christianized.

There is one possible connection that I bet Richard Armitage would find interesting: Rhys ap Thomas http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhys_ap_Thomas
I have no doubt that he knows more about this than I do, myself!

Of other interesting possible connections, I can't find it again, but I had found a certain landholding Lord Thomas who staged some kind of rebellion / civil war type battle in Wales way back when and I have a vague memory of them losing to some Scottishy types that reminded me quite a bit of the Martins and GoT in general. I have only the vaguest notions and memory of this tidbit I found once online and can't find again.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.