Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
What if the Lord of the rings was made in the style of Ben Hur?

boldog
Rohan

Mar 2 2014, 12:39am

Post #1 of 9 (426 views)
Shortcut
What if the Lord of the rings was made in the style of Ben Hur? Can't Post

Imagine if the book was adapted in the 50's, during the time of many epics such as Ben hur. Say we had, Miklos Rozsa composing the soundtrack, and William Wyler directing, how do you reckon it will turn out? Obviously it will have the same structure as those old films, with Overture, and Intermissions. I actually think it could be a pretty epic adaptation.
thoughts?

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Mar 2 2014, 1:09am

Post #2 of 9 (258 views)
Shortcut
Special Effects: George Pal? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard to be sure exactly what would be kept, what would be dropped, and what would be condensed. For starters, we would still probably lose Tom Bombadil and Goldberry. Would we lose Rohan and Fangorn? Maybe.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

hexxenpanda
The Shire

Mar 3 2014, 12:16am

Post #3 of 9 (214 views)
Shortcut
Special Effects will be very hard, but not impossible [In reply to] Can't Post

To make the Hobbit scale work, they may do the same thing as Darby O'gill. The larger setpieces would be matte paintings and miniatures, like the Ship battle and Chariot race in Ben-hur. Like Ben-hur, the film would open with a narration of the backstory and the title sequence would be the painting in Elrond's chamber of Isildur and Sauron closing in their hands. I suppose it terms of movie structure, it would be more like sergei bordanchuk's war and peace, which is over 8 hours long.

Meneldor
Tol Eressea

Mar 3 2014, 2:07am

Post #4 of 9 (216 views)
Shortcut
Stop motion animation could work for the monsters. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of people still love Jason and the Argonauts, and the 7th Voyage of Sinbad.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep.

boldog
Rohan

Mar 3 2014, 7:37am

Post #5 of 9 (208 views)
Shortcut
I can see that so clearly!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can imagine the Overture playing, with That isildur vs sauron painting in the background.

"And do you really think, Thorin Oakenshield, that Bolg will have the slightest symphony for you? After he watched you hack his fathers hand off, so ruthlessly in Moria. Azogs defeat has brought nothing to you, only refuelled hate of his kin, upon yours"

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Mar 3 2014, 2:33pm

Post #6 of 9 (208 views)
Shortcut
Stop-motion Ents! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Lots of people still love Jason and the Argonauts, and the 7th Voyage of Sinbad.

I know that I suggested that Fangorn and the Ents would probably be cut; however, I would love to see what Ray Harryhausen would do with the Ents, Trolls, the Balrog of Moria and the winged riding-beasts of the Nazgul.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Loresilme
Valinor

Mar 3 2014, 7:14pm

Post #7 of 9 (210 views)
Shortcut
Well, one thing is certain [In reply to] Can't Post

It would *not* have included a Wilhelm Scream Cool.

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Mar 23 2014, 5:33pm

Post #8 of 9 (110 views)
Shortcut
It would probably have some pretty cheesy music! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can just imagine the theme song for M*A*S*H.
And Legolas probably would have ended up like Squanto

DaughterofLaketown
Gondor

Mar 23 2014, 5:36pm

Post #9 of 9 (132 views)
Shortcut
Who knows? [In reply to] Can't Post

Would we lose Rohan and Fangorn? Maybe.

In my mind all we would get is Rohan aka the Kansas prairie. Tongue

(This post was edited by DaughterofLaketown on Mar 23 2014, 5:37pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.