Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2014, 6:38am

Post #1 of 12 (77 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond: There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Okay, last week was a bust for me. Beamer and I both relapsed with that nasty cold and spent an extended weekend sitting in my room watching Sherlock and knitting. So I apologize for the lack of our WtR thread last week. On the plus side, I'm starting to feel human again and I'm hopeful my voice will return some time in the near future.

But enough about all that - how go your journeys these past two weeks? Joe, good to see you again, and the bald eagles were beautiful! Misty Mountain - any new leads on the length of the Anduin? gramma, thanks for keeping us going! And all the rest of you lurking and waiting to post - Hi!

My progress:
Miles covered the past two weeks: 17
Cumulative miles: 1034
Goal: There and Back Again!

It's not great mileage for Beamer and me because, well, nassty coldses. But Beamer's fine and I'm almost over the cough, so I'm hoping to get back on track and moving more soon.

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered the past two weeks: 8
Cumulative miles: 961
Goal: Group Challenge

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

Angharad73
Rohan

Feb 28 2014, 11:39am

Post #2 of 12 (43 views)
Shortcut
The last three weeks... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope, you and Beamer are rid of that cold now, Arandiel! I had something like that two weeks ago and pretty much spent two days in bed or on the sofa working my way through large boxes of tissues.

I think, I have missed posting my mileage for the previous two weeks, so I have three weeks to report. And I was quite good, too - the weather is getting better (actually, for this time of year, it is freakishly warm sometimes), which means I finally could get out and walk again.

So, here is my mileage for the last three weeks:
Miles covered: 102
Cumulative miles: 1882
Goal: There and Back Again!

Actually, I have no idea where I am at the moment. I think I am past Rivendell on the way back to Bag End. Maybe around Weathertop? I might be anywhere, really. I suspect my sense of direction is worse than Thorin's Blush

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Feb 28 2014, 6:00pm

Post #3 of 12 (38 views)
Shortcut
Maybe exactly around Weathertop! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is, if I've done my math correctly... That's great, Angharad73!

And congrats on the good walking weather!

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Feb 28 2014, 8:45pm

Post #4 of 12 (48 views)
Shortcut
10 miles from me [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that puts me around 898 miles total? That would put me almost to Laketown. I have some catching up to do, it seems!

Miles covered: 10
Cumulative miles: 898
Goal: The Lonely Mountain

Warning: the preceding message may contain satire, sarcasm, irony, puns, and other attempts at humor.
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 1 2014, 3:08pm

Post #5 of 12 (29 views)
Shortcut
Your voices sounds normal to me ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so sorry you both were sick. BUT if you got to sit and enjoy Sherlock, I can't say it was a waste of time!

I didn't get a lot done, either, but I still did exercise and stair climbing several times during the days. Does shivering transfer into miles? ;) We had a 33 below zero windchill yesterday and minus 22 the day before. I'm really tired of being cold. *sigh*

BUT I smelled skunks outside a few time and my daughter saw seven robins (like the ones that talk to Radagast), and both of those mean Spring and warmer weather is coming very soon!

Thanks for taking such great care of us Arandiel... and have a wonderful week everyone!

Miles covered: 17 miles
Cumulated miles: 3071
Goal: #2 Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and contributing to the Group :)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
3rd draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - January 2, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists (updated soon)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 1 2014, 3:15pm

Post #6 of 12 (30 views)
Shortcut
Warmer weather makes things better :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm with you... I know it'll make my effort AWESOME!

Have a wonderful week, Angharad73 :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 1 2014, 3:20pm

Post #7 of 12 (28 views)
Shortcut
Well Done! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're finally in the right neighbourhood :D Lake-town is right there and the Mountain is right over there! Piece of cake ;)

Have a wonderful week, Ad!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

MistyMountain
Lorien

Mar 2 2014, 1:21am

Post #8 of 12 (35 views)
Shortcut
The Anduin [In reply to] Can't Post

according to Ms. Fonstad's book is 1,388 miles long but I don't know from where to where. Above the Old Forest Road in Mirkwood, the river is the Langflood with its headwaters apparently near Gundabad (YIKES!). And near the end of the river near Belfalas, the river seems to widen into numerous channels (rapids? shallows?) as it nears the sea. So, I am thinking to avoid running into Gundabad orcs and start my journey at the Old Forest Road and disembark when I reach the Pelargir -- I can't know an exact distance but I will round it out to an even 1,000 miles (subtracting the length of the Langflood portion). Okay, am I geeky enough?

The last 2 weeks, I rowed 35.5 km (about 22 miles). It always sounds so much farther when looking at the readout on the machine which measures in meters -- look, I've rowed 35,500 meters!! Oh, only 22 miles...Unsure

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 2 2014, 1:14pm

Post #9 of 12 (22 views)
Shortcut
*geek award of the week* You Win! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

That's some serious figuring going on... AND I LOVE IT! :D I don't blame you one bit avoiding Gundabad. I've heard it's a tough neighbourhood ;)

22 miles is nothing to sneeze at just doing the rowing machine *nods impressed* Well Done!

Have a great week!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 4 2014, 3:32am

Post #10 of 12 (12 views)
Shortcut
A-D?!? Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's good to 'see' you again - and no worries, Beamer and I have been rather 'scenic' with our journey - you'll catch us up in no time!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 4 2014, 3:36am

Post #11 of 12 (13 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... skunks and robins? [In reply to] Can't Post

The sign of Spring that I just noticed today was the return of the bugs. VWs, to be precise, on the road again after wintering in their garages. Wink

Shivering miles - yes, we need a conversion for them!

I hope you thaw out soon, gramma!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Mar 4 2014, 3:38am

Post #12 of 12 (24 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, avoiding Gundabad sounds like the wiser choice [In reply to] Can't Post

And 1000 miles sounds like a most excellent rowing goal!

Happy traveling, MistyMountain!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.