Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Your ideal TABA trailer

BlackFox
Valinor

Feb 21 2014, 11:32am

Post #1 of 14 (690 views)
Shortcut
Your ideal TABA trailer Can't Post

What would it be like? What would you want to see there and what not?

"Logic will get you from A to Z; imagination will get you everywhere." - Albert Einstein

Annatar598
Rohan

Feb 21 2014, 12:53pm

Post #2 of 14 (426 views)
Shortcut
I want the stuff that they can't showing [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm intrigued as to how the trailers will be handled without giving Smaug's death away. They could go all Gandalf-is-alive like with TTT.

Some random things I want:

1. Gandalf in DG
2. Smaug desolating LakeTown
3. Snippets of BOFA
4. Some White Council shots
5. Thorin's madness

This has to be a character-driven trailer IMO. The events that TABA will cover are the most emotionally engaging ones and I think we're in for some great stuff.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

Brandywine
The Shire

Feb 21 2014, 1:45pm

Post #3 of 14 (347 views)
Shortcut
Your ideal TABA trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

I want so see Galadriel and Saruman in action.

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 21 2014, 2:28pm

Post #4 of 14 (333 views)
Shortcut
Ideas for first and second trailer. [In reply to] Can't Post

First Trailer - May/June 2014

Images of horror and terror as Smaug approaches the city with a fitting doom and gloom voice-over (preferably by Bard) regarding what the dwarves' arrival has created.

Then images of Bard and Thranduil negotiating to force compensations from Thorin and fitting voice-overs (it does not have to be mentioned that the dragon is dead, just that a lot of damage has been done and a quarrel amongst the Free Peoples is emerging).

Then images of Bilbo and Thorin, indicating how Thorin is losing it (maybe showing Bilbo hiding the Arkenstone).

Then finale of the trailer with gathering armies, including character shots in different situations (short moments that do not yet give much away).

Second Trailer - September/October 2014

Images of the desolation left of Laketown, survivors, Bard & Thranduil in negotiations

White Council approaching or entering Dol Guldur.

Quiet Bilbo moment, maybe his offer to Bard/Thranduil.

Images of the gathering armies marching towards Erebor, clouds over Erebor.

Short images of the DG battle.

At fitting moment voice-over by Gandalf or Galadriel how Middle-earth has fallen under the shadow of war once again.

Last shot: A clash of armies on the slopes of Erebor with the end of the voice-over: "...and so greed and the lust for revenge have created something neither Smaug nor Sauron could accomplish: hate and war among the Free Peoples of Middle-earth."

ďAll good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

(This post was edited by Arannir on Feb 21 2014, 2:29pm)

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Feb 21 2014, 4:39pm

Post #5 of 14 (251 views)
Shortcut
New Music [In reply to] Can't Post

Howard Shore music is all I ask, seeing as they might be recording for the EE in March there's a chance they could record some trailer music (as they did with ROTK).

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Feb 21 2014, 5:31pm

Post #6 of 14 (247 views)
Shortcut
Great ideas! [In reply to] Can't Post

My idea of the trailer is very similar to yours.

1. Clips of Smaug destroying Lake-town will be an absolute must in my book.
2. Clips from Bo5a are likely a given at this point, but I think they should be sparing with them in the first trailer.
3. Since I'm not sure how they are planning to conclude the DG storyline I have trouble theorizing about what they might show, but I agree, they need to show something. Maybe they'll show that clip of Gandalf riding somewhere with the new staff. Personally, I'd like them to cut in some quick clips of the White Council members fighting, but I especially want to see a little bit of nuclear Galadriel.
4. Teasing Thorin's madness would be awesome IMO. They need to show us just how far and fast he's falling.
5. Thranduil. 'nuff said.

"And we find what we're made of
Through the open door
Is it fear you're afraid of?
What are you waiting for?
Love alone is worth the fight."
-Switchfoot

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Feb 21 2014, 5:50pm

Post #7 of 14 (248 views)
Shortcut
I want to see Bilbo and Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

talking to each other and a glimpse of the Arkenstone...

Thyia
Bree

Feb 21 2014, 6:24pm

Post #8 of 14 (236 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

My ideal trailer would miraculously be shown this coming Monday morning, so I don't have to wait. I'm not picky about content, I've enjoyed all the Hobbit trailers to date.

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 21 2014, 8:30pm

Post #9 of 14 (241 views)
Shortcut
TABA trailer ending with ... [In reply to] Can't Post

an extreme wide-shot of the Erebor front-gate valley, with the five armies charging towards each other.

Nothing spoilery for non-book readers and yet totally fantastic for those who know what will happen Wink

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 21 2014, 9:04pm

Post #10 of 14 (205 views)
Shortcut
Does crazy attract audiences? - idle wondering [In reply to] Can't Post

Not directing this at Annatar specifically, but several threads have mentioned showing hints of Thorin's dragon sickness would be a good thing in a trailer - I'm trying to think, did Thorin holding a sword to Bilbo attract me to the film? Guess that's impossible for me to say, because I'm a Hobbit movie fan. I know I desperately wanted to know what was going on, and why, and I was pretty shocked and was dreading that (since it's my favorite character thankfully got something of a reprieve in DOS).

But for a general audience? Just idly wondering - Thorin's not a "fun" insane character like the Joker or Loki. Or is it like staring at a car accident which we all think is awful but we still look? Or is it thanks to RA's skill as an actor and Thorin's striking look and presence, even in madness there is going to be a terrible beauty here (personally I'm still rooting for Thorin to fire off an arrow at someone getting on his nerves). Or is it (for some tho I find this strange) we can't wait to see the gold take over and for him to become a greedy *bleep* who mistreats Bilbo (but why the focus on Thorin and not, say the Master of Laketown and his slimy sidekick)?

But above all thanks to a TORn poster and the hints about how epic the Erebor dwarves joining the fray is supposed to be, above all the trailers should emphatically NOT spoil that in any way, shape, or form. I don't care how much spectacle WB wants to use to sell this movie, they should keep that under close wraps. I don't care if they show Smaug torching all of Laketown and spoil other stuff, the dwarves deserve their moment.

Remus
Lorien

Feb 21 2014, 10:21pm

Post #11 of 14 (190 views)
Shortcut
Sauron [In reply to] Can't Post

Sauron. Sauron. Sauron. And more Sauron. :)

I wanna see a scene where we see Sauron walking the steps INSIDE of Bara-Dur and taking his seat upon his dark throne and summoning the eye, looking into the camera and then BAM! THE END.

-My thoughts on the best ending scene/post credit scene on TABA.

Escapist
Gondor

Feb 22 2014, 5:42pm

Post #12 of 14 (115 views)
Shortcut
I want tantalizing [In reply to] Can't Post

shots of armies, weapons, and armor. I'd like glances of rampaging Smaug divebombing Laketown. I think that there needs to be very little speaking for this one, maybe a telescoping close up of Gandalf turning up and announcing some doom.

I also think that something from the Dol Guldur plot belongs in it to let people know to come see that part.

Otherwise, there should be lots of shots of mostly men. I kind of envisioned the first one to focus on dwarves, the second to focus on elves, and the third to focus on men.

If all the world's a stage then who's writing the script?

iduna
Rivendell

Feb 22 2014, 6:08pm

Post #13 of 14 (117 views)
Shortcut
All good ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, those are great ideas! Here is what I'd do:

I would open with Smaug's "I am...death" line and then Laketown in flames. Then Bard getting ready to fire the one remaining Black Arrow!

Then Tauriel weeping.

Gandalf, still imprisoned in Dol Guldur, and maybe Galadriel with a far-away look in her eye.

Bilbo hiding the Arkenstone behind his back and looking nervous.

Thranduil saying "The white jewels will be MINE!" (with bonus Legolas looking worried)

Thorin in Erebor, saying "The Arkenstone will be MINE!"

Armies marching.

Things burning up.

Bard saying "Nooooo!" and his children weeping.

Kili and Fili dressed in gorgeous golden armor.

Bilbo sneaking around the tents of an army camp.

Bilbo saying, "I don't want war. I just want to go home."

Azog snarling and raising his battle axe/iron claw/weapon of choice to smite Thorin, who's lying on his back at Azog's feet.

Cut to black.

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Feb 22 2014, 7:00pm

Post #14 of 14 (116 views)
Shortcut
ooh gorgeous golden armour... [In reply to] Can't Post

UnsureUnsure
Heart
probably I shall start crying from there...

(This post was edited by Elanor of Rohan on Feb 22 2014, 7:00pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.