Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
What kind of smartphone or tablet do you prefer ?
Poll: What kind of smartphone or tablet do you prefer ?
ios 9 / 28%
Android 10 / 31%
Other 1 / 3%
None 12 / 38%
32 total votes

Patty
Immortal

Feb 14 2014, 7:07pm

Post #1 of 23 (364 views)
Shortcut
What kind of smartphone or tablet do you prefer ? Can't Post

I couldn't live without Siri ! Now if she would only wash dishes.Angelic

CuriousG
Half-elven

Feb 14 2014, 7:21pm

Post #2 of 23 (268 views)
Shortcut
iPad [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm required to use an iPad and iPhone at work. I hated the iPad's onscreen keyboard, but once I got an external keyboard, it became my new best friend when traveling for work. It's what "portable/laptop" computers should have been 20 years ago!!! The only drawback is you can't attach files to existing emails, which was a dumb idea.

I think my iPhone is clunky. When I'm on the bus and subway, the Androids look so much sleeker and faster, but maybe it's just familiarity breeding contempt.

Patty
Immortal

Feb 14 2014, 7:26pm

Post #3 of 23 (263 views)
Shortcut
I should mention that I have an iPad as well. I did hear… [In reply to] Can't Post

That more malicious code is written for android. I may never switch just for that reason.

Misto
Lorien

Feb 14 2014, 8:14pm

Post #4 of 23 (258 views)
Shortcut
Smart what? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a proud owner of a "daft phone" and wouldn't trade it for the world. Just saying Cool

Patty
Immortal

Feb 14 2014, 8:15pm

Post #5 of 23 (248 views)
Shortcut
As far as phones go… [In reply to] Can't Post

I've got a daft phone too. It doesn't even have a camera. It's an old Nokia, and I love it. I don't need to get on the Internet or take a picture from my phone, all I need to be able to do is to call somebody.Cool

BlackFox
Half-elven

Feb 14 2014, 8:21pm

Post #6 of 23 (248 views)
Shortcut
Daft phone... :D [In reply to] Can't Post

You're not alone!

Magpie
Immortal

Feb 14 2014, 8:32pm

Post #7 of 23 (252 views)
Shortcut
whichever anyone wants to gift me with [In reply to] Can't Post

I have no cell phone, tablet, or laptop. I do have a really old iPod my son gave me when he recently acquired his first cell phone.

It lets me check imdb's trivia pages while I'm watching a movie (on my tv) and check my email when I'm downstairs away from my computer. At home. With my own wifi. :-)

I think there would be things I'd like about a cell phone or tablet, but not at the cost of them. I'd have to have one rain down on me or win the lottery (and I don't buy lottery tickets) for such a purchase.

Patty
Immortal

Feb 14 2014, 9:23pm

Post #8 of 23 (240 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I only have one because Mr. Patty gave it to me. [In reply to] Can't Post

At a time when he was stumped for a gift. But I love it.. It allows me to watch movies and YouTube as well as converse with my family who are in other different states. And play games. I said it was like a palantir. Smile

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Feb 15 2014, 12:11am

Post #9 of 23 (230 views)
Shortcut
my phone is daft too [In reply to] Can't Post

which I suppose reflects on me but darn I hate the "my phone never leaves my hand from the moment I wake up until I go to sleep" behaviors.

Annael
Immortal

Feb 15 2014, 2:04am

Post #10 of 23 (231 views)
Shortcut
me too [In reply to] Can't Post

I call it my "dumb phone" though.

It does have a slide-out keyboard for texting. I resisted texting for a long time, but there seems to be no other way to communicate with my under-40 friends & relatives.

silneldor
Half-elven

Feb 15 2014, 3:31am

Post #11 of 23 (224 views)
Shortcut
Gimme a dumb phone [In reply to] Can't Post

One where i do not require a book with the title, ' cell phone operation for dummies'.
Thank you very much.

simplyaven
Grey Havens

Feb 15 2014, 4:53am

Post #12 of 23 (213 views)
Shortcut
Android - Ericsson [In reply to] Can't Post

To me only one brand exists - Ericsson and later Sony Ericsson. Sadly, no more and with no perspective on mobile or smartphones anytime soon although I still hope the collaboration with LG will soften their soul. I've worked for the company for long and know what goes into their phones and how they are made, to add to the fact that this is the best menu I've ever used on a phone and the most sturdy phones I've ever had. Our tablet is Samsung and my Rogers phone is Samsung too and these are some of the stupidest machines ever. The phone menu is just ridiculous. I can't wait for my contract to be over.

Misto
Lorien

Feb 15 2014, 1:14pm

Post #13 of 23 (206 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It does have a slide-out keyboard for texting. I resisted texting for a long time, but there seems to be no other way to communicate with my under-40 friends & relatives.

Despite being under 40 myself, I hardly ever text. My contract includes, I believe, 100 text messages a month. Sometimes, when I feel like I have been texting a ton, I actually use up 20-30 of these 100. Also, texts from me usually are something like "Ok", "will do" or "5.30pm".

Patty
Immortal

Feb 15 2014, 1:35pm

Post #14 of 23 (219 views)
Shortcut
I don't have a smart phone, but I text on the iPad... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's called instant messaging. I usually use the voice dictation, but to be honest Siri sucks at voice recognition.

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Feb 16 2014, 5:23am

Post #15 of 23 (183 views)
Shortcut
Ahahaha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have one! This makes the choice simple. Now, if I did have a smartphone, what would happen would be I would spend even more time on Tumblr... which does not need to happen! Crazy
Wash dishes? Forget that! I don't mind doing the dishes. What I want is a smartphone app that will do my homework for me! Cool

Annael
Immortal

Feb 16 2014, 4:49pm

Post #16 of 23 (178 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I must say it is a lovely way of communicating when traveling. I had a nasty drive in the storm last week and every time I pulled over I let my friends know exactly where I was and what was going on. I had to drive through a long stretch of lonely road and it made me feel much better to know that someone knew where I was. And if I HAD gone off the road, where to come find me. The other time I appreciated it was when four of us came from different states to meet up at a conference. I'd had an earlier trip where someone missed her plane and caught the next one, but because that plane made a stopover it took longer to get to our destination than the plane after THAT. We met the missed plane and waited for the plane that landed next, but then gave up on her, got in our rental car, and left. She arrived about 15 minutes later and had to pay to take the commuter plane to where we were headed, poor soul.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2014, 12:29am

Post #17 of 23 (159 views)
Shortcut
none [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy with my flip-phone. I don't want a little box that has no obvious place to listen from or speak into, that does random unwished for things when I carelessly touch any part of its screen with my face or fingers.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Feb 19 2014, 12:30am

Post #18 of 23 (161 views)
Shortcut
I call mine [In reply to] Can't Post

my "stupid phone" (fondly, I must add).

Brethil
Half-elven

Feb 19 2014, 3:02am

Post #19 of 23 (151 views)
Shortcut
I'm hooked on two games [In reply to] Can't Post

Words with Friends and Card Wars. So I am loving my iPhone these days.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2014, 3:37am

Post #20 of 23 (146 views)
Shortcut
Other-- I'm not that streamlined. [In reply to] Can't Post

I carry a messenger's bag, and in it are my cheap Blackberry knock-off phone, a classic iPod, and my Macbook. And i'm quite happy with that.

I used an iPad for a job last year and i just didn't warm to it. Too big to be really convenient (music and podcasts on the go-- my iPod), and too small to be really useful (a full keyboard and easy access to the real internet (not just 'apps')-- my Macbook).

But i am considering consolidating my phone and iPod with an iPhone.

(This post was edited by sauget.diblosio on Feb 19 2014, 3:41am)

Patty
Immortal

Feb 19 2014, 5:08am

Post #21 of 23 (134 views)
Shortcut
We got one of the grand kids an iPod touch.. [In reply to] Can't Post

He loves it. The screen is too small for me to see, which is why I love my iPad.
For that same reason, I would never need to buy an iPhone, because all I need to do on my phone is call someone. If I want to be on the Internet, I need a bigger screen.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Feb 19 2014, 2:18pm

Post #22 of 23 (132 views)
Shortcut
Same here. I can't see the screens. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note II phone that does all sorts of wonderful things that I have no clue how to use or even the desire to use. But the reason I got it was its humongous screen (compared to other phones). It's 5 1/2 inches. Even then, to read an email or TORn, I have to tap the screen to enlarge all the text.
If they'd make the i pad or kindle fire able to make phone calls like a regular cell phone, I'd get that. I don't want to have to fool with apps or skype or other stuff.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2014, 4:10pm

Post #23 of 23 (132 views)
Shortcut
An iPod Touch is probably the way i'll go. [In reply to] Can't Post

iPhones are just too expensive. My cheap phone works perfectly fine for what i use it for, which is mainly texting and ordering food delivery, and it's only 25 or so bucks a month pay as you go. So i'll probably just replace my classic iPod with an iPod Touch for my music/podcast needs, and it'll provides some convenient internet access to boot. And they're relatively cheap.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.