Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I Hope They Do Not Use Lord Elrond as a Side Character in Dol Guldur

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Feb 14 2014, 10:17am

Post #1 of 14 (775 views)
Shortcut
I Hope They Do Not Use Lord Elrond as a Side Character in Dol Guldur Can't Post

Presuming he is coming, that is.

Even though he is featured many times throughout the LOTR and Hobbit series, the one thing he did that was really powerful was robbed off him when Arwen enchanted the river instead of him.

I sincerely hope he is not just relegated to just a captain of the guards role amongst the presence of Galadriel and Saruman, though they are more powerful than him.

GOM

Shirriff Anthony
Bree

Feb 14 2014, 1:37pm

Post #2 of 14 (414 views)
Shortcut
Elrond [In reply to] Can't Post

Ever since he was shown at the Black Gates in the FOTR prologue, I've really wanted to see him in action.

Faramir: I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 14 2014, 2:24pm

Post #3 of 14 (399 views)
Shortcut
Does Lord Elrond take part? [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien, in the book, suggests that Elrond remained in Rivendell when the Necromancer was driven from Southern Mirkwood; on the other hand, he didn't have a clear idea yet of the composition of the White Council, simply describing it as "a council of white wizards."

I remember a sequence, fairly early in production, that showed Gandalf and Elrond together in either Dol Guldur or the High Fells (can anyone clarify this?). So, Elrond might take part in the attack on Dol Guldur after all. If he does then he will likely function as the war-leader of the Council and command any troops that accompanied it (possibly his sons, other members of his household, a contingent of Rangers, etc.).

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Feb 14 2014, 2:26pm)

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Feb 14 2014, 3:08pm

Post #4 of 14 (388 views)
Shortcut
In canon, Elrond probably does not take part... [In reply to] Can't Post

...considering that Gandalf had to fill him in on what went down in Dol Guldur.

But at this point, I don't think we can go by the books when predicting what Jackson is going to do in these films. Following Tolkien canon is obviously not one of Jackson's priorities, unfortunately.

Escapist
Gondor

Feb 14 2014, 11:52pm

Post #5 of 14 (276 views)
Shortcut
If Galadriel, Gandalf, and Saruman are all there then Elrond should be there too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

KingTurgon
Rohan

Feb 15 2014, 1:54am

Post #6 of 14 (257 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

Pretty sure Tolkien hadn't figured out what he wanted the White Council to be at the time he wrote the Hobbit. My bet is he was there.

Thranderz
Rohan

Feb 15 2014, 12:39pm

Post #7 of 14 (212 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't say [In reply to] Can't Post

unfortunately here. I think having Elrond there would be pretty cool. Smile

I simply walked into Mordor.

Ersatz

Feb 15 2014, 6:20pm

Post #8 of 14 (183 views)
Shortcut
Hum [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you remember his incredible armor? (seen in the first movie). I can't believe PJ & Weta Workshop have created this masterpiece for nothing.

http://henryherz.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/elrond.jpg
Breathtaking.

Bad english is bad.

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 15 2014, 6:42pm

Post #9 of 14 (180 views)
Shortcut
Yes you are right re: Elrond at Dol Guldur [In reply to] Can't Post

In the Empire magazine August 2011 issue, the author of the article had written that whilst on set, both Ian McKellen and Hugo Weaving were to shoot some scenes which sees Gandalf and Elrond exploring the dungeons of Dol Guldur.

Whether this was to form part of The Desolation of Smaug sequence (before Gandalf is captured) and Elrond didn't make the cut, is uncertain.

Perhaps, they can always insert this "exploration sequence" someway or other either during or after the attack on Dol Guldur ...

There is still hope Wink

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

(This post was edited by Arandir on Feb 15 2014, 6:43pm)

Aitieuriskon
Lorien

Feb 15 2014, 9:41pm

Post #10 of 14 (152 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, Ersatz! [In reply to] Can't Post

It would indeed be nice to see Elrond in action, but I am not certain the armor from this photo is any indication that he'll feature in the battle at Dol Guldur.

As you recall, this is the outfit he is wearing upon his return from hunting the orc party south of Rivendell, when he surprises the company on horseback. So I dunno if we'll have the opportunity to see it again Unsure

"After all, I believe that legends and myths are largely made of 'truth', and indeed present aspects of it that can only be received in this mode; and long ago certain truths and modes of this kind were discovered and must always reappear." Professor Tolkien, 1951

(This post was edited by Aitieuriskon on Feb 15 2014, 9:43pm)

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Feb 16 2014, 5:53am

Post #11 of 14 (148 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as we get to see Elrond in armor, I'm all for him appearing at Dol Guldur. Laugh Cool

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Feb 17 2014, 1:29am

Post #12 of 14 (99 views)
Shortcut
If Elrond was meant to be there... [In reply to] Can't Post

..then Tolkien would have included it in the amended text instead of having Gandalf explain the situation to him after the fact.

Pretty sure Tolkien hadn't figured out what he wanted the White Council to be at the time he wrote the Hobbit. My bet is he was there.

All well and good, but we can only speculate based on what was actually written, not on what we think could have been written.

With that said, I would be fine with Elrond taking part in the assault on Dol Guldur.

Otaku-sempai
Half-elven

Feb 17 2014, 3:20am

Post #13 of 14 (90 views)
Shortcut
Well, from a story perspective... [In reply to] Can't Post

If we ignore the fact that Tolkien had not solidified the composition of the White Council at the time he wrote The Hobbit, we could come up with one or two in-story explanations for what Gandalf said to Elrond in Rivendell:

1. Elrond remained in Rivendell in case Sauron moved against it before the Council could act. Or, perhaps he just wanted to keep his Ring far from Dol Guldur.

2. Elrond was at Dol Guldur, but he and Gandalf engaged in double-talk because of Bilbo's presence. The hobbit did not need to know that Elrond was part of the White Council.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Ersatz

Feb 17 2014, 10:03pm

Post #14 of 14 (84 views)
Shortcut
;- ) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty sure Elrond will fight at some point.
Ok, I have no real proof/evidence, but the fight (Sauron - Gandalf) was even less likely to see Elrond fight after all!

Bad english is bad.
(English is not my native language)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.