Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Let's talk The Hobbit Trilogy logo titles (aka, a most useless topic ... )

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 13 2014, 5:35pm

Post #1 of 16 (600 views)
Shortcut
Let's talk The Hobbit Trilogy logo titles (aka, a most useless topic ... ) Can't Post

Call it weird, but I've always been intrigued by the Hobbit film logo titles posted either on promotional materials, posters or as stand-alone images.

Which reminds me, does anyone have a There and Back Again logo similar to the other films? I seem to recall that The Desolation of Smaug title card found its way online way before any sign of posters or trailers were on the horizon. I know anyone can create it immediately by using a blank "The Hobbit" template ... but still ...

Anyways, did anyone else notice the different versions we got so far of these titles?

Let's have a look at some of them:

To me the ones that evoke most resemblance to The Lord of the Rings titles (and therefore provide a certain sense of continuity and cohesion between both Trilogies are the last two, pertaining to The Desolation of Smaug).

Especially the bottom right one.

And yet, the Rings Trilogy titles bear little resemblance to it, and are more in-line with the top and top left one - but to me, if you look at them as a large picture, there's too much "gold" (no pun intended Tongue) colour in them.

But as I said, they look very similar to these:

But I love that slightly stone-ish feel and desaturated colours of the bottom right logo from The Hobbit, even the one opposite it.

Reason for this topic: None in particular. Just seeing if others share similar thoughts and asking about the There And Back Again logo.

See, as I said: "useless" ...Laugh

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Loresilme
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 5:49pm

Post #2 of 16 (315 views)
Shortcut
I feel like I'm looking at [In reply to] Can't Post

one of those "Spot the Differences" games Sly.

To me it looks like The Hobbit ones have a more three-dimensional look, maybe it's the lighting effect.

I also notice the Lord of the Rings examples have the little trademark symbol (TM) and The Hobbit ones do not. Wonder if there's a reason for that.

I like the stone-ish feel too. Compared to The Hobbit ones, I didn't realize the Lord of the Rings logos looked so gold at the time, but here they do look very bright gold.

Also, I always liked the way the O turns into the Ring.

And P.S. there's no such thing as a useless Middle-earth topic here among fellow obsessive fans Cool.

tsmith675
Gondor

Feb 13 2014, 6:16pm

Post #3 of 16 (297 views)
Shortcut
To be honest, ever since I first saw the Hobbit movie logo... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's cooler than the LotR logo. I think it has a really cool look. I love the H and the T. I think it just really fits. Don't get me wrong, I still love the LotR logo, but I think the Hobbit logo is just that much more awesome.

"This day we FIGHT!"

Werde Spinner
Rohan

Feb 13 2014, 6:27pm

Post #4 of 16 (268 views)
Shortcut
What I want to know [In reply to] Can't Post

is why in merchandise the second 'B' in HOBBIT is usually smaller, while in the movie when the title comes up, both B's are the same size??

(I could be wrong. It's been a month since I saw DOS.)

Anyway, I'm about 85% sure that B isn't always the same size from merchandise piece to merchandise piece. I haven't even stopped to notice the coloring of the lettering.

"I had forgotten that. It is hard to be sure of anything among so many marvels. The world is all grown strange. Elf and Dwarf in company walk in our daily fields; and folk speak with the Lady of the Wood and yet live; and the Sword comes back to war that was broken in the long ages ere the fathers of our fathers rode into the Mark! How shall a man judge what to do in such times?"

"As he ever has judged. Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. It is a man's part to discern them, as much in the Golden Wood as in his own house."

jtg70

Feb 13 2014, 7:07pm

Post #5 of 16 (246 views)
Shortcut
the two B's in the middle ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I always liked how the two different B's draw attention so they imply Bilbo Baggins initials.

Since the Hobbit & LOTR are related stories I'd prefer if the elongated H & T didn't extend as far past. That way the Hobbit logo would more closely resemble the LOTR logo, being part of a six film series. It's just the way my mind works in an organizational sense.

(This post was edited by jtg70 on Feb 13 2014, 7:11pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Feb 13 2014, 7:16pm

Post #6 of 16 (220 views)
Shortcut
Anyone know what FONT it is?// [In reply to] Can't Post

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 13 2014, 8:07pm

Post #7 of 16 (205 views)
Shortcut
Spot the difference indeed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you're right in that The Hobbit titles have more of a 3D look to them - it seems they stand out more.

As to The Lord of the Rings ones, I'm pretty sure there are more and in fact, those featured on posters are much less "gold=ish" than the ones here.

Hmmm ... I sense conspiracy Laugh

Why we Love 'Sherlock'

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 13 2014, 8:08pm

Post #8 of 16 (191 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Why we Love 'Sherlock'

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 8:19pm

Post #9 of 16 (205 views)
Shortcut
Possibly [In reply to] Can't Post

I wouldn't be surprised if a typeface was specially made for the films…

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 13 2014, 8:20pm

Post #10 of 16 (196 views)
Shortcut
I think you're referring to this ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, that same title style is also present in The Lord of the Rings films.

It seems like the titles released on dvds, posters, etc are the "subsidiary" titles and that those shown before each film are the proper ones- sort of:

They seem to be the proper titles of the whole two trilogies and I really like them - they have a very historical feel to them - much more than the others shown in the first post.

And it's nice that they kept that tradition ... you get a sense of continuity between the two trilogies.

I'd like to see these plastered on the future Ultimate DVD Collection!Angelic

Why we Love 'Sherlock'

TheHutt
Gondor

Feb 13 2014, 9:26pm

Post #11 of 16 (176 views)
Shortcut
The FOTR logo... [In reply to] Can't Post

..is not authentic. It uses the wrong font for the subtitle (Ringbearer); the correct one should be Albertus.

Russian LOTR & Hobbit Site: Henneth-Annun.ru

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Feb 13 2014, 9:37pm)

TheHutt
Gondor

Feb 13 2014, 9:29pm

Post #12 of 16 (170 views)
Shortcut
The font... [In reply to] Can't Post

...used for creation of the poster logos is called "Sauron" and was created for the films specifically. For the single international logos as wel as the Hobbit logo it was heavily modified. My font (Ringbearer) was sourced from the logo designs so it has features not present in the original font, notably in the capital letters.

TheHutt
Gondor

Feb 13 2014, 9:34pm

Post #13 of 16 (167 views)
Shortcut
It's quite a useful topic! [In reply to] Can't Post

And it reminds me to finish my movie font guide at last!

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 11:58pm

Post #14 of 16 (156 views)
Shortcut
TABA logo should be released with the synopsis [In reply to] Can't Post

WB has to put out an official overview or synopsis of the film. A vague outline that can be quoted promotionally or for other reasons. This synopsis should be accompanied by the official Logo and will probably be the first time we see it.

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 15 2014, 6:38pm

Post #15 of 16 (60 views)
Shortcut
Let's hope [In reply to] Can't Post

they release the synopsis soon then Smile

Why we Love 'Sherlock'

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 15 2014, 6:38pm

Post #16 of 16 (67 views)
Shortcut
Looking forward [In reply to] Can't Post

to that fonts guideWink

Why we Love 'Sherlock'

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.