Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The Hobbit wins ONE VES award - Gravity takes the rest

Junesong
Rivendell

Feb 13 2014, 7:32am

Post #1 of 20 (607 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit wins ONE VES award - Gravity takes the rest Can't Post

In what should dim fans expectations of The Hobbit beating Gravity for Best Visual Effects at this years Oscars - Gravity just cleaned up at the VES awards (Visual Effects Society) and only managed to win in one category: Smaug winning best computer generated character in a live action film over Gravity's Ryan.

As someone who loved both movies it's hard not to admit that Gravity SHOULD be winning - but it makes it hard for me knowing that The Hobbit will go home without the Academy Award that it surely would have won any other year.

"Tim... Canterbury... Canterbury Tales... Chaucer... Shakespeare."

Arannir
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 9:56am

Post #2 of 20 (348 views)
Shortcut
IMHO DoS never stood a chance against Gravity. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even before this I said and will not change my mind that DoS has zero chances of winning in all three categories when it comes to the Academy Awards.

The award it won now is great though, and this technical awards are - within the industry - often quite important even though they are not as popular ans flashy as the Oscars.

So still a good thing for the people involved. Awesome.

“All good stories deserve embellishment."

Praise is subjective. And so is criticism.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at."

Rohirrim Rider
Rivendell

Feb 13 2014, 10:10am

Post #3 of 20 (339 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

It would be great to see Smaug get some recognition at the Academy Awards - both the film as a whole and (especially) the creation of the dragon - but I can't deny that Gravity deserves it this year. Just a shame they clashed.

But hey, now we know how Star Wars and Matrix fans felt for the 2002 and 2003 awards - films that would otherwise have easily won the SFX Oscar if only those pesky LOTR films weren't out the same year...

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 13 2014, 12:03pm

Post #4 of 20 (308 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you all in that ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Gravity stands a much greater chance than DoS in winning such technical ahievements. And rightly so ... Gravity's visuals were astounding - but thats not to say that DoS's werent as superb, but I guess the general belief is that people tend more to find VFX of a quasi-realistic film more believable than a fantasy one.

Nonetheless, a big well done to the folks of The Hobbit - certainly deserved!

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 1:11pm

Post #5 of 20 (278 views)
Shortcut
Glad it won [In reply to] Can't Post

but Gravity is the flavor of the year in these awards. It makes me vomit in my mouth a bit having to say that but it is what it is. Unsure

legolin12
The Shire

Feb 13 2014, 1:51pm

Post #6 of 20 (252 views)
Shortcut
darn! [In reply to] Can't Post

I found Gravity slightly dull and not very interesting. I'd like to see DoS win, but Gravity seems to be the judge's favourite Frown

'"Answer the question, filth!"'

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 4:05pm

Post #7 of 20 (241 views)
Shortcut
So, since you watched both, which would you rewatch the most? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just asking since you say you loved both so I think you would have an unbiased answer. I haven't seen Gravity tho I have heard about it, but the story just didn't interest me and I don't pay for special effects.

But for me a big renting/buying point is "will I ever watch this again?". For instance I loved Argo, have seen it twice (once in a theater). But feel like that's enough and I don't need to see it again. But I watch
AUJ and LOTR over and over, and can't wait to get my hands on DOS.

Arandir
Gondor

Feb 13 2014, 4:40pm

Post #8 of 20 (244 views)
Shortcut
Personally [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd watch DoS over and over ....

With Gravity, I wouldn't mind watching it two or three more times but would let it be after a while - since it's quite a straightforward story.

With things like LoTR and The Hobbit, you keep coming back to them both to experience the story and Middle-earth and to spot details you never did before Wink

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 13 2014, 5:12pm

Post #9 of 20 (226 views)
Shortcut
Gravity deserves it. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's flawless, visually, as far as i'm concerned. I was completely transported into it's world, beginning to end. It's going to be one of the cinematic milestones for decades to come, just like 2001, Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Toy Story, The Matrix, and Avatar.

Sure, Smaug was fantastic, but DoS had more than it's share of shoddy effects shots.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 5:14pm

Post #10 of 20 (227 views)
Shortcut
DoS – I much prefer it [In reply to] Can't Post

However, Gravity is more 'all-American', so will be favoured for that reason – though I do believe someone in the UK had something to do with the effects (Shepperton Studios?).

In Reply To
I'd watch DoS over and over ....

With Gravity, I wouldn't mind watching it two or three more times but would let it be after a while - since it's quite a straightforward story.

With things like LoTR and The Hobbit, you keep coming back to them both to experience the story and Middle-earth and to spot details you never did before Wink

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 7:46pm

Post #11 of 20 (191 views)
Shortcut
As an American [In reply to] Can't Post

I can assure you not all of us liked it. I thought the film as a whole was awful and by far the worst film I saw last year. If I could get my money back now after seeing it I would. Visually it was cool but it wasn't anything that was trend setting or memorable.

Avandel
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 7:57pm

Post #12 of 20 (180 views)
Shortcut
this seems reasonable [In reply to] Can't Post

"With Gravity, I wouldn't mind watching it two or three more times but would let it be after a while - since it's quite a straightforward story. "

Re Gravity's story - and there were plenty of spoilers but I didn't care - it just wasn't grabbing me - not even enough to go to a theater, tho there were many comments about the incredible visuals. And while I like George Clooney and he is a fine actor, for me it's reached the point where I always feel OK - it's George Clooney! - and wait for Brad Pitt to show up. Unsure

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 8:18pm

Post #13 of 20 (176 views)
Shortcut
For myself [In reply to] Can't Post

I just couldn't bring myself to get around to seeing it – the story and the actress just didn't appeal to me…

In Reply To
I can assure you not all of us liked it. I thought the film as a whole was awful and by far the worst film I saw last year. If I could get my money back now after seeing it I would. Visually it was cool but it wasn't anything that was trend setting or memorable.

imin
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 8:19pm

Post #14 of 20 (172 views)
Shortcut
Agree - Gravity was one of the best of last year [In reply to] Can't Post

Far more enjoyable and memorable than DOS and many other films, really connected with it and felt completely transported to space with it, the visual effects were unbelievably good (and British made Smile) Deserves everything it gets.

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Grey Havens

Feb 13 2014, 10:39pm

Post #15 of 20 (154 views)
Shortcut
Why is there competition? [In reply to] Can't Post

This isn't directed solely at you Avandel (since you haven't even seen Gravity yet), but I've noticed a trend - showcased perfectly in the replies to your question. It seems like there's a desire to draw a negative comparison between DoS and Gravity (in favor of one or the other) because the two films are facing off each other at the Oscars. I can't help but feel like we often get too wrapped up in these things. If you're not fond of Gravity, that's just fine - but do we really have to "defend" DoS's honor, so to speak?

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

MomoftheShire
Rivendell

Feb 13 2014, 10:48pm

Post #16 of 20 (141 views)
Shortcut
I'm not so sure . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

One of the "interviewers" actually asked, "What was it like to film in space"?!!!!

Critics are SO stupid sometimes!

Junesong
Rivendell

Feb 13 2014, 11:13pm

Post #17 of 20 (137 views)
Shortcut
Funny you should ask... [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually saw both movies four times in the theatre ... which makes me sound a little crazy I guess.

Alfonso Cuaron is probably my favourite living director and I've loved (and own) all his movies - there is always more to them than just the plot synopsis or the special effects - the guy is just gifted. He even made the best of the Potter movies (Azkaban)

As for The Hobbit - I am a die hard Tolkien fan who still regularly watches the LOTR movies (a little too regularly as far as my wife is concerned) and I plan on doing the same with The Hobbit films.

So all that to say - I am actually anything but unbiased. I think rewatchability is very important when choosing which movies to love but I love both these movies too much to be objective.

Junesong
Rivendell

Feb 13 2014, 11:16pm

Post #18 of 20 (136 views)
Shortcut
To be fair.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Gravity was written and directed by a Mexican filmmaker and shot in the UK. Its Executive Producer was David Heyman (British) of Harry Potter fame and the only thing American about it (other than its stars Sandra Bullock and George Clooney) was that it is being distributed by Warner Brothers. I mean the thing even takes place in outer space - at the International Space Station and at a Chinese Space Station.

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 11:28pm

Post #19 of 20 (132 views)
Shortcut
Actors [In reply to] Can't Post

I very much enjoy both actors works. The trailer and knowing how I have enjoyed their works I had high expectations. Sadly they were not met. I would put Gravity on a list of worst big name movies I've ever seen. It was one of the least enjoyable movie experiences I've ever had. Clooney's character was believe able but that was it. Everything else was so BS it just irritated me the whole time. So I wish I hadn't wasted the time or money to see it. So IMO you came out ahead.

Elessar
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 11:30pm

Post #20 of 20 (141 views)
Shortcut
Honor [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure some of that is happening. For me I though Gravity was such a steaming pile of poop that I just get tired of seeing a film that I love lose to one that for me was pretty darn awful. It's not just against DOS I would feel this way either.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.