Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Fantastic artwork in PJs Tolkien films!

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Feb 12 2014, 10:33pm

Post #1 of 13 (628 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic artwork in PJs Tolkien films! Can't Post

I wonder if any books (other than the bible) have ever inspired the incredible artwork that we see in the illustrations and the film depictions of the Tolkien stories....
When I watch these films more than once it is to see in more detail all the artists rendition of the sets, costumes, characters, cities, buildings, animals, landscapes and each time enjoying seeing more detail...the translation from stories to artist's rendition never ceases to amaze me...
the numbers of countries and peoples that have been able to enjoy seeing these books translated to beautiful films is stunning..
It seems each race of Middle-Earth enjoys creating and preserving artistic beauty around them....elves, dwarves, humans and even hobbits...The artists putting together these films are incredible.....I know Tolkien would have loved to have seen this...

Eleniel
Grey Havens

Feb 12 2014, 10:56pm

Post #2 of 13 (347 views)
Shortcut
Well, the films aside, as far as the books go... [In reply to] Can't Post

On March 14, 1967, he [Tolkien] wrote to his publisher, Rayner Unwin, “As far as an English edition goes, I myself am not at all anxious for The Lord of the Rings to be illustrated by anybody whether a genius or not”.

http://www.the-tls.co.uk/...c/article1124187.ece

It certainly would be fascinating to know what Tolkien would have thought of Alan Lee and John Howe's wonderful work, though....

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Feb 12 2014, 11:14pm

Post #3 of 13 (310 views)
Shortcut
Guess we can thank goodness that his descendants did't feel the same way about it......right? [In reply to] Can't Post

...so many have actually started reading the books after enjoying the movie....Smile

dormouse
Half-elven

Feb 12 2014, 11:19pm

Post #4 of 13 (312 views)
Shortcut
I don't know whether Tolkien would or not... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. but I certainly hope he would - or at least, be touched and surprised by the overwhelming amount of artistic (and other) work that goes into creating the films and the depth of skill at all levels.

As for me, I couldn't agree with you more. For me these films - both trilogies - are first and foremost intricate, moving, extraordinary works of art, which I can't take my eyes off. So much beauty in almost every frame.

(This post was edited by dormouse on Feb 12 2014, 11:20pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 12 2014, 11:55pm

Post #5 of 13 (284 views)
Shortcut
Yes, agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Visually, I think these films are amazing and ground-breaking – though I do sometimes feel people now take the art involved for granted. I mean for me, Smaug (for example) is the most incredible creation, and so believable…

HobbitFan
The Shire

Feb 13 2014, 3:43am

Post #6 of 13 (221 views)
Shortcut
I agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is why I really love all the extras that come with the extended editions so you can see all the work that goes into the films. I especially loved the bigatures features from lotr, too bad the hobbit doesn't have any.

Annatar598
Rohan

Feb 13 2014, 4:18am

Post #7 of 13 (219 views)
Shortcut
Which is a shame [In reply to] Can't Post

because AUJ lost to Life of Pi and DOS will probably lose to Gravity. What is so special about Gravity!! It's only the first space movie that isn't action-oriented but everyone's treating it as if it's another Avatar. I mean, the direction deserves the oscar but visual effects.... come on. Just might as well hand the oscar to every Star Wars movie for their space-effects.

TABA doesn't seem to be against such competition it seems. The only comparable movie would be Rise of the Guardians but I'm positive that TABA will win.

"[Annatar598] is an overzealous apologist [for PJ]" - Certain TORn member.

Really? Alright...

Well, proud to be one I guess.

7.62 mm FMJ
Bree

Feb 13 2014, 4:35am

Post #8 of 13 (212 views)
Shortcut
Don't be so dismissive of Gravity's visual effects [In reply to] Can't Post

It's among the most realistic depiction of microgravity physics out there. I think it's that attention to detail that makes the visual effects to believable and immersive.

Though Hobbit film series does have some spectacular effects. To say that Smaug is fantastic would be an understatement. Though other parts of the film could've been more polished when it comes to CGI. In the end, I wouldn't say one is better than the other, just stylistic differences, and I can appreciate both.

(This post was edited by 7.62 mm FMJ on Feb 13 2014, 4:37am)

Annatar598
Rohan

Feb 13 2014, 5:03am

Post #9 of 13 (201 views)
Shortcut
Not really dismissive [In reply to] Can't Post

Gravity does have some spectacular visual effects. But I would question whether or not the effects were as groundbreaking as Avatar, LOTR or Star Wars.

I was only saying that Gravity doesn't hold a candle to what's in The Desolation of Smaug. Personally, visual effects that can make "inanimate" pixels come to life so as to give them a form, personality and depth, are the best ones. CG environments have developed significantly enough to be completely immersive. The Avengers had a completely CG New York that felt as believable as Gravity's environments. Likewise, DOS' Laketown and Erebor felt as real as any other CG environment. Gravity set out to make a movie in that style with that intent. No other movie had tried to do that with technology that has existed for the past two-three years. I guess Gravity deserves recognition for taking a risk and trying something that hasn't been done before in that sense.

But CG characters are seldom ground-breaking enough to make you go "that looks real." The Goblin King looked quite fake. Gollum, however, looked more real than Bilbo. And SMAUG. I could write essays on how realistic he looks. I could not have imagined that anyone could bring a character the size of an airbus to life like WETA did. To have those subtle emotions on a huge creature without making the character look "fake" at any time is a staggeringly stunning achievement.

Really? Alright...

Glorfindela
Valinor

Feb 13 2014, 11:45am

Post #10 of 13 (152 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely! [In reply to] Can't Post

For me, the effects (both real and CGI) are all the more amazing because so many have had to be created. In DoS you have the spiders, for example, and they are extraordinary, as well as the environments such as Lake-town, Beorn's home, Thranduil's Halls and, of course, Erebor.

Words cannot express how much I appreciate the artistic efforts that went into bringing Middle-Earth to life in DoS – with Smaug being right up there at the top.

In fact, the only 'CGI effect' that I do not appreciate in any way is Legolas…

In Reply To
But CG characters are seldom ground-breaking enough to make you go "that looks real." The Goblin King looked quite fake. Gollum, however, looked more real than Bilbo. And SMAUG. I could write essays on how realistic he looks. I could not have imagined that anyone could bring a character the size of an airbus to life like WETA did. To have those subtle emotions on a huge creature without making the character look "fake" at any time is a staggeringly stunning achievement.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Feb 13 2014, 11:46am)

Annatar598
Rohan

Feb 13 2014, 11:47am

Post #11 of 13 (144 views)
Shortcut
His eyes were awful [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know why... But everything seemed off about him. Sure... I loved the action pieces he was involved in (yes the silly ones) but the character himself was just meh. I hope he goes somewhere interesting in movie 3.

Really? Alright...

TheRealBeren
Rivendell

Feb 13 2014, 4:41pm

Post #12 of 13 (105 views)
Shortcut
Gravity is just rehashed Soviet sci-fi for capitalist zombies [In reply to] Can't Post

Gravity isn't the first non-action-oriented space-based film. You should check out Soviet cinema from the 60s and 70s.

(This post was edited by TheRealBeren on Feb 13 2014, 4:41pm)

glor
Rohan

Feb 14 2014, 4:36pm

Post #13 of 13 (44 views)
Shortcut
Also Kubrick's 2001: a Space Odyssey// [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.